PDA

View Full Version : Clean "y" Axis Rails, Too "y" Axis Stall

ZULUCARVER
12-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Hello everyone,

I was working on a very beautiful carving when 1/4 way through the project, the machine stopped.........
The screen read " Clean the "Y" axis rails fault # 299
I cleaned this and had to re-start the project. Just about 1.0 inch past where it shut off, the first time; it shut off the second time. This time it read "Y" Axis Stall.
I knew that this would be the one thing to shut me down for good.

I have just got the machine back from Carvewright on the 10th of December, worked on one project which came out very well. The second project I started was today the 23rd. The above is what happened to me.

Can someone give some advice in this area. I really do not want to take the machine to carvewright for more repairs, because I dont know when I will get it back and it is too costly to get repaired.

Jeff_Birt
12-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Can you post the MPC (no commercial patterns please) and or a picture of the incomplete carving? That might give folks a better idea what may have gone wrong.

ZULUCARVER
12-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Hello Jeff and thanks for the response to this issue,

I have the details of the two stops written in on one of the photos. The MPC. came from the Carvewright web site. I bought two items, both were of the Last Supper. One was for $10.00 which had a scroll on it, this carving came out great but curiosity always kills the cat. After looking hard at that carving and the faces of the guys, I wondered what the $60. dollar caring would be like. So I placed this board into the machine and this is what happened to the carve.

You will be able to see the two stop lines. Why are there two lines??? Because after the first issue with the rails, I restarted the project and it got just past the first stop line and stalled the "Y" motor. I have no idea why it did this after all the carving was doing soooooo well. Now I have no idea about it.

Can you have a look and see what you can see, Please.

Have a wonderfull Happy Christmas.

Gary in Houston.

ZULUCARVER
12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Does any one know How I can send pictures here, I am having a hard time downsizing them to the space alotted allowed.

ZULUCARVER
12-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Jeff,

I hope this works for you , Take a look at the pictures.

Eagle Hollow
12-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Zulu,

It looks like maybe your carving bit is dull judging from the big fuzzies. The detail on the first part of the carving looks good however. The only thing I can see. Perhaps others will give you better input.

Good luck.

Jerry C

ZULUCARVER
12-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Jerry,

Happy Christmas for tomorrow the 25th, Thanks for the points. Actually I just replaced the bit on Monday this week. The last one shattered in the machine right when I started the carving, that came out great #3-3 Picture.
This made me buy another bit and get # 3-3 carving going.

Thank you.

AskBud
12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
If your using the QC, be sure that the "flat" on the bit is where you tighten one of the holding screws. If it was not a dull bit, it could have started to slip due to the pressure and heat.
AskBud

mtylerfl
12-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Jerry,

Happy Christmas for tomorrow the 25th, Thanks for the points. Actually I just replaced the bit on Monday this week. The last one shattered in the machine right when I started the carving, that came out great #3-3 Picture.
This made me buy another bit and get # 3-3 carving going.

Thank you.

If your bit shattered, then most likely it was not fully seated in the chuck. A bit is not likely to shatter "on its own".

Perhaps improperly seated bits was the cause of your other problems too?? - I don't know. Could be several different things (bad FCC cable, dirty encoder, rolled up belt, seized or dirty truck bearings, etc.). In any case, a bit not seated properly is a recipe for disaster. Be sure to check that the red indicator marks are touching after installing a bit, and clean the the QC thoroughly between bit swaps and after every project. Check the alignment marks by using a mirror and a flashlight to view the underside of the QC. I hope the problem is that simple to correct.

Here's a couple photos...one showing the red marks offset before a bit install...the other how the red marks should look after a bit is fully seated in the chuck. The red marks do not have to align exactly, but they do need to be "touching" without any severe offset.

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Bet that line in the carving is 3.5 inches from the end of board from POPPING out from under a roller and causing a stall and line....

7 inch rule of wood.... Everyone should know it.... If not... Find the answer in Tips and Tricks....

Like riding a bike with one hand.... Sure you can do it... But the unexpected can happen....

AL

TerryT
12-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Clean Y axis rails is sometimes caused by the bearings in the big gear on the y motor being dirty or bad, chips in the belt and gears of the y drive, etc. Check the bearings first if you have 100 or more hours on your machine. Also make sure the belt isn't too tight. That can cause binding also.

ZULUCARVER
12-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Guys, Thanks for all the help on this one.

But how do I make the problem go away. I checked the tension on the belt, no chips or dirt in the machine. I still have the problem though, is there a way to reset the machine or maybe reset that specific part / function?

Once again, thanks for everyone's feeds to this issue.

Gary.

ZULUCARVER
12-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi guys,

It is advisable to make yourself an ajustable template to use when you want to carve pieces out. I have made one for myself, 3 inches on either end with 1/2 inch extra on each end for times that I have to do some edge routing. The 1/2 inch wood is removable off cuts of scrap wood. The rest of the template is all solid mahogany. I learn't this after the first cut I made over a year ago.

Thanks for the tip though, any tips are good for everyone.

Gary in Houston.

luckettg
12-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi guys,
It is advisable to make yourself an ajustable template to use when you want to carve pieces out. I have made one for myself, 3 inches on either end with 1/2 inch extra on each end for times that I have to do some edge routing. The 1/2 inch wood is removable off cuts of scrap wood. The rest of the template is all solid mahogany. I learn't this after the first cut I made over a year ago.
Thanks for the tip though, any tips are good for everyone.
Gary in Houston.

I would like to see some pictures of your adjustable template, Gary. Could you post some?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett
Michigan