PDA

View Full Version : Cuts are not smooth or consistent

jwblazek
12-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I purchased the sleigh project. I am not happy with the quality of the sleigh inside parts. They are jagged and differ in size from part to part. Any suggestions?

Ike
12-23-2009, 10:55 PM
I purchased the sleigh project. I am not happy with the quality of the sleigh inside parts. They are jagged and differ in size from part to part. Any suggestions?

Silly question, but did you follow the instructions that came with it? Several members have bought the project and have no problems.

Ike

Jeff_Birt
12-24-2009, 03:44 AM
When you have issues like this posting a few pictures of the problem is very helpful to other folks who would likely lend you a hand. All of us have 'seen' our machine do things and might readily recognize the culprit just by a picture of the problem.

jwblazek
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I did follow the directions. I am trying to figure out how to insert a photo. Other concern was the difference in size between the inside parts, varying by as much as 1/8"

AskBud
12-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I did follow the directions. I am trying to figure out how to insert a photo. Other concern was the difference in size between the inside parts, varying by as much as 1/8"

From FAQ Section: What Are Attachments?
The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.
END

My guess is that your actual board(s) were not the size suggested in the project, and that you answered some of the machine prompt(s) with "size to fit".
AskBud

mtylerfl
12-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. The condition you describe is likely the result of bit run-out. Probably the most common cause of bit run-out is from a bit that is not seated properly in the chuck. The only sure-fire way to confirm full bit seating is to check the underside of the QC to make sure the red marks are aligned/touching...also, be sure to thoroughly clean out the QC between bit swaps to help assure full seating of the bit. Any fine, powdery sawdust inside the QC can prevent the bit from seating properly.

Also, check your bit adapter for "dimples". If the adapter is severely dimpled, then the bit adapter has been damaged, which will further increase bit run-out. Change to a new bit adapter.

A worst-case scenario is that the QC has been damaged as a result of severe bit run-out. Hopefully that did not occur in your case. But, if it did, you'll need to replace the QC. Test by making sure the bits are fully seated (via the red alignment marks), making sure the adapters are not severely dimpled, then try cutting again. If the cuts are clean this time, then you're all set. If they come out "ragged", then it's likely the QC was damaged.