PDA

View Full Version : board measuring too short

mrstevens26
12-23-2009, 07:59 PM
my project requires an 18.5" board. i cut my board 25.75". i give it an extra .25" just to be sure my tape measure may be slightly different. when my machine goes to measure the length, it tells me that the board is on average 7/16" short. i've watched the board and belts to make sure they aren't slipping, and they aren't, and i've also watched the board tracking sensor and it makes good contact. i've used blue masking tape to try to give the board edge sensor a good surface to scan. any advice?

dbfletcher
12-23-2009, 08:59 PM
my project requires an 18.5" board. i cut my board 25.75". i give it an extra .25" just to be sure my tape measure may be slightly different. when my machine goes to measure the length, it tells me that the board is on average 7/16" short. i've watched the board and belts to make sure they aren't slipping, and they aren't, and i've also watched the board tracking sensor and it makes good contact. i've used blue masking tape to try to give the board edge sensor a good surface to scan. any advice?

If the machine is consistently measuring the board wrong, it is probably time for your to run the calibration routines on your CW. You machine should be capable to measuring withing a few hundreths of an inch.

I have included the link for your convienience.

http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Maintenence/Carvewright_User_Calibration.pdf

Doug Fletcher

mrstevens26
12-23-2009, 09:21 PM
it doesn't do it everytime. the other night, then it did good yesterday, then today it does it again. do you think the cold weather may have an effect on the electronics. my shop is about 45 degrees right now

mtylerfl
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
...do you think the cold weather may have an effect on the electronics. my shop is about 45 degrees right now

Absolutely! I think the cold affects the mechanical parts and lube more than the electronics...same result though...unpredictable behavior. Shop should be above 55° for best results.

mrstevens26
12-23-2009, 09:39 PM
one more quick question. i've recently had to replace my qc, installed it to the letter. after the second carving it started to ruin my bit adapters again. tried to take it off, even tried heating it up to loosen the thread locker nothing. bought the square bit and it broke, so i regrinded the square on what was left on the bit. broke again. so i ended up using dremel tool to cut it off very carefully. finally got it off without damaging the threads. would there be any sort of refund or credit since the chuck only has about 6 hours on it?