PDA

View Full Version : Safe length for carving

jussi
12-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I read on a post a while back that there should be a minimum of 7" in addition to the project length. I can't seem to find that post anymore and what I'd like to know is if it's 7" to both sides of the project or a total of 7". I always center my projects when prompted to so I wasn't sure if the rule meant 7" each side or in total. Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions so far. I just don't want to do something stupid.

DocWheeler
12-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Jussi,

The distance between the rollers is about 7" and the carving bit is in the middle of that. So, if you have 3.5" on each end of your material beyond the carve area, it stays under the rollers while carving (eliminating lots of problems).

Read the Tips&Tricks!

AskBud
12-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I read on a post a while back that there should be a minimum of 7" in addition to the project length. I can't seem to find that post anymore and what I'd like to know is if it's 7" to both sides of the project or a total of 7". I always center my projects when prompted to so I wasn't sure if the rule meant 7" each side or in total. Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions so far. I just don't want to do something stupid.

Go to this link for the User's Manual. Drop down to page #28 and read the section on Workpiece Preparation. It should make the process fairly clear.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Manuals/CarveWright_manual.pdf

mtylerfl
12-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Hello,

Please read the Tips & Tricks newsletters to help you avoid problems and understand the operation of your machine. Particularly the Dec. '07 and the Jan. '08 issues should be read first. Those explain the "7-inch Rule" and the basic care of your machine. (By the way, it's 7" total...i.e., 3½" on each end when your project is centered on the board.)

The link to the Tips & Tricks appears below my signature...