PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove bit from QC bit holder

JimStaley
12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I purchased the Rock Chuck and removef the QC chuck. When I tried removing the carving bit from the QC bit holder so I could use it in the new chuck, I couldn't get it loose. The set screws loosened easily, but the bit won't move. Is it glued in there? This is surprising because I have several old bit chucks with broken bits that are loose.

fwharris
12-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I purchased the Rock Chuck and removef the QC chuck. When I tried removing the carving bit from the QC bit holder so I could use it in the new chuck, I couldn't get it loose. The set screws loosened easily, but the bit won't move. Is it glued in there? This is surprising because I have several old bit chucks with broken bits that are loose.

You will need to heat it up a little to break the loc tite loose. After you get it out make sure you get all of the loc tite off the bits before using in the Rock.

Griz64
12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
I had almost the same problem in as much as I got the set screws off but couldnt get the bit out. What I did was open my vise enough to allow the bit to go through but not the adapter and got a BFH (big frekin hammer) and gave it a couple of solid hits. It broke loose and problem solved. It may not have been the right thing to do but it did work.

Jeff_Birt
12-24-2009, 03:41 AM
and got a BFH (big frekin hammer) and gave it a couple of solid hits.

No, it's best not to pound on carbide. It is very brittle and could very likely crack (even later in use).

liquidguitars
12-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Is it glued in there?

Yes all the new ones are now, use a heat gun like FW said. A press from Harbor freight work good after heating.

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I keep a 3/8 Drive Deep Socket in my CW Tool Box to remove the bits from the bit holders after heating and tap lightly with a punch.

AL