PDA

View Full Version : Bit stuck in collet

Jeff
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
My 1/8" cutting bit is stuck in the collet. From the beginning, it was hard to remove but it is now stuck solid. I've sprayed a penetrating lubricant into the collet and tried to tap it on a board to no avail. I have also tried jiggling, pulling, yanking, threatening and swearing...

The other bits (adapters) pop out with no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jeff

soomro
07-04-2006, 12:36 AM
My carving bit did the same thing, but after letting the machine cool off for a night and little wiggling did the trick. Turns out there was ever slight bit of rust on it. Guess the collet is very close tolerance to minimize the fuzzy grains; hence the need of putting couple of drops of oil in the collet and on the bits holders. Are you sure the collet is going up all the way to release the bit. Try grabbing the bit with a rag to avoid cuts on fingers and wiggling it, but don't push too hard. I have learned the hardways that to much force would loosen the collet and increase the vibration.

Good luck. Let us know what worked.

Jeff
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Good luck. Let us know what worked.

I sprayed some penetrating lube and et it sit overnight. I also used the removal tool and it came out. I've hit the collet with white lithium grease and scrubbed the adapter. It's still difficult to remove but it not works.

Jeff