PDA

View Full Version : Tape Usage

AskBud
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
(Quote)
Hi Bud,
Wow you have some great information on the web!!
Yesterday I asked about the tape on the Carve Wright Forum. Where should one put the tape? Just want to be sure I do that right. It makes sense that would help.
I very much appreciate your site and your offering to help.
Are you a teacher? Just curious. :)
Thank you and Merry Christmas,
Bart Radke
(End Quote)

Hello Bart,
First, I am not a certified teacher. I have, however, taught classes for my former employer for over thirty years. I further "Ghosted" procedure papers, and PUCO replies, for 5th level management. I also coached Springboard Diving for Ohio Northern University for eight years, where I had a diver qualify and compete in the Division III NCAA National Championships for three years.

TAPE:
Tape is a help-mate. It is used to assist some sensors do their job. It can, also, be used to assist the sand paper belts in movement of "slick/hard" material.

1) Tape on the bottom of the board, between the Brass Roller and the wood allows the roller to get a better grip on hard or slightly imperfect stock.
2) On slick/hard/shiny stock, it is sometime necessary to place several strips of tape the length of the board to assist the sandpaper belts.
3) Sometimes the board sensor, under the truck, needs assistance/fooling due to voids in the surface of the board or sled. This may be in the width or length of the stock/sled. Color changes may also look like a void and cause an abort in measurement. The truck sensor is expecting any change in surface depth to indicate that it has reached its final point. Most of this occurs on the initial measurement cycle.
4) Sometimes we use tape as a method of holding our project in place or holding two or more pieces of material together.

Let's talk about the Board/Truck sensor:
This sensor is looking for "End of Material" in the path that it travels.
A) If the board/sled has a gap anywhere in that path, it may well give a false indication of End of Material.
B) Tape across/down the expected truck, measuring, path eliminates these possible errors.
C) Rails sometimes are used with no solid stock, at each end. The sensor is looking for the drop in height after the end exits the Head Roller(s). Therefore, tape can accomplish the same function as a scrap piece the same height as the rails.
D) As the truck sensor measures the width it will consider its measurement complete at the first void it sees.
E) This same situation may occur as the truck sensor travels the length.

There may be other usages, but I think the above listing is fairly inclusive.

Thanks for the eMail. I think I'm going to post this reply on the Forum for all the other users.
AskBud

DocWheeler
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Bud,

On line "D" there is an exception. If you use 3/4" rails (as I do), you can let the machine measure the width anywhere - no need for tape or a filler for measuring the WIDTH.

happyjackid
12-23-2009, 12:05 AM
DocWheeler,

I am not understanding your comment about 3/4" rails. Are you saying that if my rails are 3/4" or wider there will be no need for tape to fool the machine into measuring the full width?

My current rails are 1.5" wide and full length of my sled, and the CW always stops measuring at the inner edge of the first rail unless I have taped across the full width...

AskBud
12-23-2009, 01:58 AM
DocWheeler,

I am not understanding your comment about 3/4" rails. Are you saying that if my rails are 3/4" or wider there will be no need for tape to fool the machine into measuring the full width?

My current rails are 1.5" wide and full length of my sled, and the CW always stops measuring at the inner edge of the first rail unless I have taped across the full width...
Continue to use the tape, as you have. Doc just has a "lucky" situation where he succeeds without tape spanning a void.
AskBud

happyjackid
12-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks, Bud... and thanks for putting together your video tutorials. They help a new user like me a lot...

DocWheeler
12-23-2009, 07:40 AM
DocWheeler,

happyjackid,

With 1.5" wide rails, you will need to either use tape or assure that the sensor on the bottom of the Y truck "sees" the end filler or other continuous surface.

With narrow rails, under an inch I think, the sensor gets the keyboard-side edge and then seems to shut off until it moves about an inch and then checks the reading it gets. Since it is then a low value and it is looking for a decrease in the reading, it keeps going.

When the second rail is seen, the value increases and then decreases as it passes over it. This is not what is expected, so it goes to the back and comes back toward the keypad and finds the first edge from that direction.

Works great as long as it does not find something to "see" between the rails.

I discovered this when I was experimenting with jigs a year or so ago, even posted my findings.

With rails, I normally use a 2" wide filler to make "frames" for double sided carves or use 1.5" masking tape across the ends for one sided carves. Since the sensor is only about 1.5" from the back roller, the 2" filler allows me to use it for the sensor path. When I use tape, I just let it cross the two rails near the ends where there is no material.

I did not want to cause any confusion, just a heads-up on a simple trick.

happyjackid
12-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Ken...

I will play with that process as I adjust my jigs...

Jack

BartRadke
12-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi Everyone, this is Bart the origianl blogger. Tape solved the problem. I did two projects with the tape and thought I try another with out the tape. Guess what I needed the tape!!!! haha

Thank you so much for your help,
Bart

BartRadke
12-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi, Can anyone suggest the best way to clean the carve right? I am a dummy here and can't see how to post a new blog. So I thought I would continue with this one. Sorry. I am wondering how best to clean the top inside of the machine.
Thanks,
Bart

temler
12-27-2009, 07:24 PM
you guys will love the gift I got today, it was one of those late gifts. all warped with a nice bow, there was two long boxes, there two dozen rolls of masking tape in each box, one box blue, one box regular, because she didn't know which color i used, isn't that a cool gift from some one that thinks i spend too much time in my shop, or maybe that means she wants me to spend more time in there, I will take it that she mean the later. Just thought you all would love it. I just thought about it and i keep saying you guys how do i know that there is not a lot of gals on here, what a male shovenist pig i am, not on purpose. sorry if there is and wood chipping females on her, didn't mean to. But i caught it before one of you did and fixed it.
Thanks all
Tim
:mrgreen:

AskBud
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi, Can anyone suggest the best way to clean the carve right? I am a dummy here and can't see how to post a new blog. So I thought I would continue with this one. Sorry. I am wondering how best to clean the top inside of the machine.
Thanks,
Bart

I started a new thread on this question.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14037