PDA

View Full Version : Loose part HELP

BobHill
07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I have a secondary situation (Memory Card problem in another topic) which arose when I cleaned my machine while trying to solve the first problem. A 1" dia. spring with four coils popped out of somewhere (seemed like from the area where the aircooled fins are located in back top area) and I have no idea as to what it is, or where it goes, or if I can get the machine going, what might be effected from it not being where it's supposed to be?

Anyone have any ideas?

Bob Hill :?: :?: :?:

pkunk
07-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Never seen it but I'll look.

BobHill
07-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Would you check inside your exhaust filter on the back. I tried a fit of the spring and see that it's about the right size to fit inside the case port, but not sure why it would be there. And how did it get inside the case unless it is supposed to fit inside the case at the exhaust port somehow.

Bob Hill
Tampa FL

pkunk
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Would you check inside your exhaust filter on the back. I tried a fit of the spring and see that it's about the right size to fit inside the case port, but not sure why it would be there. And how did it get inside the case unless it is supposed to fit inside the case at the exhaust port somehow.

Bob Hill
Tampa FL
No sign of a spring like that anywhere that I can see.

David M.
07-01-2006, 06:25 PM
The only spring I see in my whole machine is located in the switch for the squaring plate on the bottom. It should be visable where you push you finger down to unlock the plate. I don't see anything else that would require a spring.

And I agree about reformating the card, I have heard of static electricity causing errors on these cards.

BobHill
07-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Not the spring for the board squaring switch. It's still there and wouldn't be this large, in any case. 1" diameter and about two inches long with four coils, relatively strong.

Bob

David M.
07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
not sure where that could have come from, don't see anything that should require a spring.

BobHill
07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't either, and after opening it up inside, I didn't find anything that looked like it was missing a spring, and certainly no0thing that seemed to require it to make things work.

Shawn Gillies
07-02-2006, 12:55 AM
The only other springs i recall are on the raise/lower knob and the springs that tension the sandpaper belt drives.

BobHill
07-02-2006, 08:03 AM
I don't know of any spring on the raise/lower knob and besides, I've CA glued that handle to the crank and believe me it's not coming off, at least unless I use a lot of MEK or something. I first thought I'd have to remove it to remove the left side and tried to tap it free with a hammer. No dice, so it's a good thing the side comes off just fine without rmoving the crank or it's internal fear, and it goes back together just fine as well.

??? I don't know about the sandpaper belt though, but in any case how would that have gotten into the top area where the fin cooled motors are? Thanks for the ideas, though. Perhaps it got put there in error prior to it being shipped, who knows, but the machine was running just fine just prior to the memory reading problem, so i doubt it's the source of that problem. Thanks for the idea though. I have run out of ideas on the memory card, however.Does anyone know if the crew is taking the full four or five days off for the holidays? Maybe I can catch someone there tomorrow, I hope.

Bob

Shawn Gillies
07-02-2006, 04:05 PM
edited

BobHill
07-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Shawn,

Boy that does sound like the spring I found, to be sure. Just how does it fit on the crank, and what does it do there, do you know?

Bob

Shawn Gillies
07-02-2006, 10:38 PM
edited

BobHill
07-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Thank YOU, Shawn. That has got to be it. My crank handle is fully engaged all the time, and actually I thought it was supposed to be. In fact, I'm not sure that I would like it otherwise. I have no problem ever raising or lowering the head, and it's certainly not loose or anything. I still don't know how in the world it got into the top area though. But since apparently that's not causing any troubles, I won't worry about it either, but it's nice to know what it was supposed to be for. Now I know.

Bob

BobHill
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Shawn and those following this problem,

The guys at Carvewright told me where that spring came from. It's not from the crank, but came from the quick bit release that had exploded on me when I first got the machine and the original got replaced, so the spring didn't get missed (I did the replacing). So, mysery solved. The spring that controls the crank has to be there or it wouldn't work, they say.

Bob