PDA

View Full Version : Setting number of passes?

jussi
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
My profile bits seem to be wearing prematurely because the CW takes too deep a pass. Which in turn burns the edge and the bit. Is there a way I can make multiple, shallower passes.

cnsranch
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
The only bit you can change re the number of passes is the cutting bit - when you are performing a cut-out procedure.

If you're talking about an ogee bit, or v-bit, the only thing you can make sure of is that the bit is sharp, clean of pitch, etc.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 05:48 PM
So I am thinking you are talking about your Carving Bit....?

If SO.... Depending on the number of carving hours it could be dull?... But not likely since it is solid carbide...

More likely your QC is worn and you have BB Marks in your bit holders... The Bit is FLOPPING Around and Fluttering as it is cutting and that side to side motion is causing the burning....

At least that is my take on you question.... Buy a Rock and end the madness....

If you select Best or Optimal, the bit makes a slower final pass.

Inspect you bit and bit holders...

AL

mtylerfl
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
My profile bits seem to be wearing prematurely because the CW takes too deep a pass. Which in turn burns the edge and the bit. Is there a way I can make multiple, shallower passes.

The only bit you can change re the number of passes is the cutting bit - when you are performing a cut-out procedure.

If you're talking about an ogee bit, or v-bit, the only thing you can make sure of is that the bit is sharp, clean of pitch, etc.

You can set the Max pass for any bit except on rasters using the carving bit or when using the V-bit Centerline feature for text. Set the Max Pass Depth to a value you are comfortable with.

jussi
12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
You can set the Max pass for any bit except on rasters using the carving bit or when using the V-bit Centerline feature for text. Set the Max Pass Depth to a value you are comfortable with.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

jussi
12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
So I am thinking you are talking about your Carving Bit....?

If SO.... Depending on the number of carving hours it could be dull?... But not likely since it is solid carbide...

More likely your QC is worn and you have BB Marks in your bit holders... The Bit is FLOPPING Around and Fluttering as it is cutting and that side to side motion is causing the burning....

At least that is my take on you question.... Buy a Rock and end the madness....

If you select Best or Optimal, the bit makes a slower final pass.

Inspect you bit and bit holders...

AL

No problem with the Carving bit. I'm talking about the edge rounding bits, classical, ogee, etc.

I plan on buying a rock eventually but funds are short right now. Plus I also plan on getting the Centerline software so the rock might be on hold for a while.

Chief
12-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Jussi,

Stay with the QC and, when your centerline text looks funny, you'll understand why the Rock is more important than the centerline software.

Chief

AskBud
12-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Jussi,

Stay with the QC and, when your centerline text looks funny, you'll understand why the Rock is more important than the centerline software.

Chief

I believe the statement, quoted above, is off point.
Michael answered the Maximum Cut Depth question very well in this link
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=115718&postcount=4

Speaking to the same quoted statement above:
The cost of Centerline will be money well spent. It will give you an ability you always dreamed of at a much faster speed than a raster carve.

The Rock chuck is a stand-alone item that, for the present, seems superior to the current QC considering the troubles possibly caused by over stressing or user error.

I would purchase centerline first, only because it gives me more carving options.
AskBud