PDA

View Full Version : Keeps asking for bit

Artice
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Keeps asking for bit, but bit is in machine.

cnsranch
12-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Primary cause of this problem is the bit not touching the bit plate/flag during measurements. Set up again, and watch the process carefully - after the machine asks for the bit, if it's already there, hit enter, the machine will go thru its set-up, it will go to the far side where the flag is supposed to flip out and the bit will touch it two or three times. If it doesn't, the machine will loop over and over again.

imnor
12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I just came on and have the same problem the "bit plate/flag during measurements" does not always pop out. I clean the area shoot some air around it and it eventually works but wish I knew a sure fix. It seems to be getting worse.

will george
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I had the same problem awhile back. It had nothing to do with the metal flag itself. For some reason the cutting head assembly was not moving far enough on the Y-truck rails to push the 'flag' all the way.

I do not know what really was stopping the cutting head, but carefully cleaning and lubrication the Y-truck rails solved the problem. The rails did not seem to be dirty in the first place? Anyway, the problem has not returned.

imnor
12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I did not realize that the cutting head was what went to the end and hit the bit plate/flag poping it out during measurements. I turned off the power and manually slid everything down the end to see if I could do it manually trip the bit plate/flag .It had a lot of resistance because it was metal to metal contact. I took my can of white grease and gave it a quick shot on the spot the plate makes contact with the cutting head. I cant believe it but worked perfect two times in a row. It has not worked right for a week. Problem solved!!

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I did not realize that the cutting head was what went to the end and hit the bit plate/flag poping it out during measurements. I turned off the power and manually slid everything down the end to see if I could do it manually trip the bit plate/flag .It had a lot of resistance because it was metal to metal contact. I took my can of white grease and gave it a quick shot on the spot the plate makes contact with the cutting head. I cant believe it but worked perfect two times in a row. It has not worked right for a week. Problem solved!!

If it continues to happen, you may want to just wedge a piece of foam behing the bit plate to always have it in the extended postion. That is a pretty common problem that seems to crop up on some machines no matter how well it is cleaned and lubed. For many of us, just keeping teh bit plate in the out postion has eliminated that particualar error.

Doug Fletcher

skeeterman
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
check your power wires above the z truck and on side of machine where bit plate is , the z truck goes over so bit can home on bit plate and if the wires are in the way on the far side the truck will not go over far enough to push bit plate out,
steve

cnsranch
12-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Biggest problem I've found with the bit flag is making sure that when you lube/oil the pivot points, you make sure to lube/oil it from underneath the flag - hitting the pivot point from the top doesn't work for me.

The flag still baffles me - you'd think it moves electrically, but doesn't. Somehow (beats my small pea brain) the cutting head pops the flag out with just a touch.

dissapointed
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I had the same problem and what I do is to place a drop of WD-40 on my finger and lightly lube the truck where it hits the plate. The plate pops out and I've had no more problems with that.

whr1900
12-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I have been having the same problem and no matter how much i clean and lub after the machine gets going and it comes time to change bits it sticks on both of my machines so now i keep a coat hanger that i straightened out and i just help it swing out with the coat hanger

William

AskBud
12-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Here is a link that may help with the Bit Plate problem.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=115843&postcount=14

fwharris
12-24-2009, 11:35 PM
I have not had a bit plate problem for well over a year now. I put it down to keeping the Y rails clean and lubed and a good dust collections system to keep the dust out of the spring.

I also removed the plastic wire cover from the wires coming off of the cut motor to allow enough room for the z motor travel.