PDA

View Full Version : Z Truck

Artice
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I have tighted the bearing on the z truck. But the bottom of the z truck still has play in it. The flex shaft seems to put pressure on the z truck while carving, pulling it away, causing the bit to jump. What next? Is this fixable?

DocWheeler
12-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Artice,

The machine-screw is offset in the Right bearing (I believe), turn it with a thin wrench until it is tight - flat facing out when tightest.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Ken is right....

Here are some pictures.....

The left bearings are center bored and right bearings are off set bored or drilled... This lets you turn the bearing nut to squeeze the rails...

There is a Tech instruction here somewhere.... The Trick is to turn the nut and hold the screw.. The Screw heads strip easily... and the screws snap easily.

AL

Artice
12-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Here is a picture of the virtical cuts I am getting in the carving.

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Here is a picture of the virtical cuts I am getting in the carving.

This may be a very silly question.. but are you sure you have the carving bit in and not the cutting bit? The bottoms of those cuts look awefully flat... but it may just be the pic.. or the way I am looking at it.

Doug Fletcher

Artice
12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm using the tapered bit.

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM

No problem.. had to ask. Do you happen to have a "good" pic of the same carving at the same scale so we can compare? I'm not really even sure what I'm looking at.

Doug Fletcher

Artice
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I thought maybe the z truck was the problem. I tightened the bearings, but there seems to be some play in the z truck. The flex tube seems to put pressure on it. Thanks for your help

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
So the question now is...?

Is it defective ARTWORK? A jpg photo converted to a pattern.

OR Is it the machine?

Here is how you find out if the machine is working properly....

Draw 3 circles 2 inches in diameter.

Select each circle and make it a Carve Region

Make the depth slightly different on each circle.... .01, .2, .35.....

And see what it looks like... The bottom should be FLAT.

AL

50 Posts to 4000...:mrgreen:

buffybuttons
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

It sounds like your z truck is still slightly loose or misaligned. it is possible to tighten it out of range by wrenching the bearings too far and this causes them to loosen again. Also it is possible to tighten the bearings while the z truck is very slightly misaglined. The z truck must sit perfectly flush and parallel to its track during tightening. To test it grab the z truck and gently twist from side to side. it should not twist at all. also pull in and out on the z truck. again no play should be present. the only motion should be a smooth square up and down and side to side glide . there is a good free manual on the carvewright website on how to check out z truck issues that i used when i replaced mine. The z truck belt got in my way and i tightened it improperly slightly out of square at first. See link below.

http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_z-truck.pdf

Artice
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Ended up with 1" circles, does it make a difference? The bottoms were smooth with a slight imperfection.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Then judging from what you say, the machine is working... It is the pattern....

You could send the pattern to one of the Experts.... NOT Me.... And have them look at it.... Might just be JUNK..... When I first started I tried to make the artwork for a Bear.... Spent a day and still got JUNK.... Bought the $6.50 Bear and have sold a bunch....

AL

shotgun 6
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Reference the picture of your carving -- I had exactly the same problem. The lower left-hand z-truck bearing screw and bearing was loose. I tightened the screw but it soon loosened up again, the reason being is that the screws have loc-tite on them and if you break the bond the screws are no good. The check, of course, is to feel for any movement of the z-truck other than the designed up and down. Had to order replacemnent bearings and screws. CW has a .pdf that shows how to do it and although I was hesitant to take on the replacement, turned out to be pretty easy even for a dummy like me. Got a tight, smooth z-truck and good carving up until the steel balls that hold the bit tight in the QC have gone int hiding and the QC won't hold the bit tight. The manual says its probably dust but I spend more time cleaning the maching and QC than I do carving. Oh well, thats another challange ... and so much for my plans for Chrismas presents.