PDA

View Full Version : What tha????

jhatcher
12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
So I am carving a project, making good firewood. I lift the lid to vac a little and the chuck stops spinning, like it should, but the axises KEPT GOING! I did not catch it in time and it broke a bit right off.

What the heck is going on? I thought that lifting the lid shuts the motor AND the axises off, actually I have raised the lid many times and both shut off and stayed off until I pressed enter to resume!

Now, I have to wait 2 weeks and get another bit, 2 weeks, cause I figure in the christmas rush.

Anyone else have this SAFETY issue?

Jeremy

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 12:55 PM
So I am carving a project, making good firewood. I lift the lid to vac a little and the chuck stops spinning, like it should, but the axises KEPT GOING! I did not catch it in time and it broke a bit right off.

What the heck is going on? I thought that lifting the lid shuts the motor AND the axises off, actually I have raised the lid many times and both shut off and stayed off until I pressed enter to resume!

Now, I have to wait 2 weeks and get another bit, 2 weeks, cause I figure in the christmas rush.

Jeremy

Thats what the TWO switches do on the cover. The one of the left tell the machine the cover is open.. and would halt the machine.... the one of the right only control the cut motor. So it sound like the right one acted correctly and cut power to the cut motor.. but the left one never let the cw computer know that the cover was lifted.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
12-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Jeremy

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the broken bit! It is recommended practice to always press the "Stop" button before lifting the lid during a project. Sounds like you have a dirty switch preventing proper release (sawdust inside??).

AskBud
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Jeremy

Lifting the cover is not the proper way to "Pause" the machine!

As other have stated, there are two switches and both must operate. If they do not react at exactly the same instant, you will have a problem. Each time you lift the cover you may not be able to assure that it is opened in such a fashion as to activate both switches at once, as the plastic is ply-able.
AskBud

rjustice
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Jeremy

Jeremy,
I can get you a bit out tomorrow morning, and if you order Express, you will have it Wednesday this week...

www.cw-parts.com

Happy Holidays,

Ron

jhatcher
12-22-2009, 08:43 AM
sorry Ron, I ordered a replacement bit from LHR yesterday. I am thinking I could get a better price if I only ordered the bits somewhere without the holder.

Not sure if it would mess with the warranty though..

Jeremy

rjustice
12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
sorry Ron, I ordered a replacement bit from LHR yesterday. I am thinking I could get a better price if I only ordered the bits somewhere without the holder.

Not sure if it would mess with the warranty though..

Jeremy

Jeremy,
No problem... Just trying to help to get you going again quickly. FYI, My bits come without the QC bit adapter. They are a 4 flute tool rather than 3 flute, but same tip, and angle. Premium, micrograin carbide...

Happy Holidays...

Ron