PDA

View Full Version : Memory card HELP

BobHill
07-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I went to use my CW this morning and voila once I turn it on all I get is the opening logo LCD text " Carvewright Woodworking Machine" and that's all I get when Memory card is in place. The memory card seems to be fine, I can read the flash on my computer and can add to it without a problem. I've cleaned (vacuum and compressed air) the memory slot on the machine, jostled the card while putting it in (solidly), clicked on/off/on numerous times with and without memory card. Still all I get is that one LCD message and can't move it regardless of what buttons I've clicked.

I had this occur when I first got the machine, but it cured itself somehow and has worked for me for the last week or so, without a problem, until now.

Anyone with ideas. it's the holiday long weekend, so I suspect LHR is off enjoying themwselves as they should be (and I wish I was), but perhaps someone here might have some ideas I can try. I'm about out of them.

Bob Hill

pkunk
07-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Nothing positive, but...try reformating the card, and add a project. Can't hurt to try. This AM I couldn't upload to my card-tried everything including (i'm on a Mac)permissions, cleaning cache, dumping plist files, etc. What finally worked was tossing the program and reinstalling it. :shock:

BobHill
07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, but why would the computer recognize the card and wat's on it, if the machine's computer won't? It's not that it won't start a program, it won't get past the log in screen of "Carvewright woodworking machine". No punch of any of the key pad bumps does anything to change that. I've taken the top and sides off, cleaned everything with vacuum and air pressure, made sure that all connectors are positively set and once back together ... still the same problem. Thanks for the comeback though. I may end up taking a trip to Texas once the holidays are over, but would rather get things running from here.

Bob Hill
Tampa FL

BobHill
07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
OK, guys, since I'm nowhere without a working card and nothing else I can think of, I'll give the reformat a try. I have everything on it on my computer anyway. What's to lose. I still don't know why it would be readable on my computer, but not by the machine's computer, but we'll see. I've already taken the sides and top of the machine off again, check all connections, done a housemaid's cleaning job with no success, so I'm willing to see if you guys with more experience might have the answer. Hang on, and we'll see <g>.

Well, I did the reformat, which actually is a fast format (removes the data index only), but in any case, when I put a brand new file on it, nada, as far as the machine is concerned. Still only get "Carvewright Woodworking Machine" on LCD and it won't change except when it's turned off.

Bob Hill
Tampa FL

smartalecy
01-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. I've removed and reinserted the card several times, but nothing...What does it take to fix it? What was your fix?

BobHill
01-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh, boy ! That was back in early July. I'm not sure but I believe this was one that required that I send the machine back in. It's possible that a download did the fix, but you'll have to check with CarveWright on this one, for sure. Give them a call.

Bob

jwaldrop
03-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Often I'd gotten "Please reinsert card" or "Carvewright Woodworking Machine" and no further progress on the LCD since I'd gotten my machine. I'd get it to carve if I held the card with my hand or pulled it just slightly and let go - until even that didn't do it anymore (Never had a problem with the USB reader though - most likely not the card then right?...)

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART: I'm an EE and do these kind of electronics (embedded controls) for a living - so, keep in mind I'm physically incapable of avoiding what I did next... So - connector problem right? I pulled the control board out of the machine and touched each pin of the connector with a soldering iron (in case of cold/cracked solder joints). Nada - same problem.

Opened the memory card and touched each pin of its connector with a soldering iron - voila, problems went away.

Had I been tougher, I might have contacted CW and from my description they would have recognized the problem immediately and warrantied my memory card. But, as I said, I'm physically incapable of not taking electronics apart.

-Jeremy

Kenm810
03-10-2007, 12:39 PM
HI Jeremy
I’m pretty efficient with a soldering iron, if I may say so myself
But I’m afraid my - voila, problem went away - - would turn out – voila, oh crap!
I’m sure you’re much more skilled at it then most of us, so I think I’d be better off just sticking to wood working

Ken

shoe2728
03-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Jeremy
Isnt this a standard memory card that you could buy at a computer store. I know CW didnt go out and re-invent the wheel again. They must have used a standard memory card. Iam just not sure which one.

Cliff
03-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Carefull the PCMCIA style Flash memory card comes in many different flavors basically for the bus size and voltages only CW and the Card Reader know for sure. For example you could not read a compact flash in a type II adapter in the CW reader.

jwaldrop
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Jeremy
Isnt this a standard memory card that you could buy at a computer store. I know CW didnt go out and re-invent the wheel again. They must have used a standard memory card. Iam just not sure which one.

The PCB in the memory card is custom designed by LHR. It looks to me like rather than dealing with SD cards or compact flash or even USB keys or cables, they opted to go with a much simpler approach. Seems like they took the CW's main program memory out of the machine and put it in the PC card so it can be carried around. That's a pretty nice approach from a cost/software development perspective.

It also means that when memory cards have "issues", it looks like there's just one number to call.

jwaldrop
03-10-2007, 05:57 PM
HI Jeremy
I’m pretty efficient with a soldering iron, if I may say so myself
But I’m afraid my - voila, problem went away - - would turn out – voila, oh crap!
I’m sure you’re much more skilled at it then most of us, so I think I’d be better off just sticking to wood working

Ken

My point was really that if other users are seeing this kind of problem that there's a strong likelihood that it's time to call CW and get a replacement memory card. :)

cajunpen
03-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm just wondering if all of this efficient "tinkering" with the machine and memory card - without the assistance of a CW Tech - would not void your warranty on the machine? Don't mean to imply that I know it would, just wondering out loud. If it does, somebody's in trouble:confused:

Azbear
03-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Friday night I carved a new project. No issues. All went fine. Saturday morning I tried to upload a new project. I was flagged with a notice to upgrade. After install was completed, my computer system did not see the memory card. I pulled it and tried it in my carver. All it saw was the Carvewright name. Back to my computer. Nothing. Try again is all I kept reading.

Frustrating !!