PDA

View Full Version : controller board

lhanner
12-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Dose anyone have a controller board that has gone bad not in use. I think i need a capacitors for it. Here is my story. It all started with close cover error and then went to cover open even though it was closed. Things I have tried: With LHR Tech "Robert"
1 - Jumped a paper clip across the white and black wire - Reading OPEN
Robert says the only two things that cause this error are a bad switch or an emulation board. I ordered 2 of each had them over nighted for 44.50 so I could finish some Christmas gifts for a customer installed both new parts this was done on Friday - Did not solve the problem.

2 - Call LHR back they said to check all cables and wiring making sure no breaks or pinches I checked all wiring from top to bottom and side of display. still Reading OPEN Cover.

3 - Called LHR back Now I was told that its a bad controller board 303.00. Now I am pissed because I was told 1st that the only thing that can cause this error was 10.00 switch or a 5.00 board. Now I have been a computer tech for 30 years I Ohm-ed out I mean ever cable and wire it all checks OK.

4- I decided I would remover the controller board and witch I did I found that one of the capacitors had a break in the front negative lead on the board. Now if that is the problem I can fix by resoder a new one back on. I have found a new one at dig-i-key but I have to buy 2500. CAN ANYONE HELP?? Or do I COUGH UP 303.00 + SHIPPING.

I have had my carvewrite for 16 months it has only 102 hours on it. I love what I can do with it. I just can't seem to keep it running. BY THE WAY I DO WEEKLY MAINTAINENCE ON ALL MY SHOP EQUIPMENT EVEN IF IT WAS NOT USED THAT WEEK. I HAVE A DETICATED GRIZZLY 1440 CFM DUST COLLECTOR/ WITH RINGNECK DUST HOOD ON IT. WITH GROUNDING STRAPS.

Thanks
LON

Chief
12-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Lon,

I can't comment on your problem but I believe that you can find the capacitor you need by searching with google. And don't forget to check eBay. it's unbelievable what you'll find at that site.

Chief

bdahlem
12-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Digikey appears to have an equivalent capacitor, part number EF4104-ND, that you can order individually for $.53. I'm basing this on a picture from another post of C1. They have a $25 minimum order, but it is better than a reel of 2500 capacitors. You might wanna check a TV repair place around you, they deal with high voltage parts and could have something on hand.

Brian

DocWheeler
12-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Lon,

Have you tried Radio Shack?

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
If we are talking about the C1 on the X Termination Board then there is a picture in the L2 post on this page.... That board is about $75.00....

The Computer is $300.00.... The C1 is caused by the QC Vibration....

A EASY FIX.... Radio Shack or a TV Shop..

AL

Chief
12-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Al et al,

Do TV shops still exist? I thought they went the way of the 8-track tapes.

Chief

Kenm810
12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi Chief,

your last post got me thinking, I can't remember the last time I needed a TV Repair shop.
Like most I guess, it seemed cheaper to just get a new TV
with the next generation of bells and whistles on it.

I did a Google Search (TV repair plus my zip code) and got 10 pages of TV shops within a 10 mile radius of my house.
---- Guess they are still around if your lookin. :wink:

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Chief,

your last post got me thinking, I can't remember the last time I needed a TV Repair shop.
Like most I guess, it seemed cheaper to just get a new TV
with the next generation of bells and whistles on it.

I did a Google Search (TV repair plus my zip code) and got 10 pages of TV shops within a 10 mile radius of my house.
---- Guess they are still around if your lookin. :wink:

yep.. they really do still exist.. but I think the bulk of there buesiness is now large screen HDTV's... and home service is back in fashion.... mostly becuase most people dont have th means to drag a 50"-60" tv to a repair shop.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I repaired TV's when I first started at the Sony Service Center in Philly but the boss moved me to Portable Home Phones because I was good at soldering small parts.... And yes, even the Sony Service Center is closed.... They send everything to Mexico and give you a Refurbished unit back before it is repaired.... The Techs went to Circuit City when Sony Philly Closed but last year Circuit City went Out of Business....

There is a TV Repair place near me, they do more Satellite and Home Theater installs... But they are still around....

So the question is?.... Is it the X Termination Board you are looking to fix....

Finished printing my Truck Tags and on the Night Shift I will do the Epoxy.... This is a fun project.... Putting the 500 Clips and rings on the tags is going to be fun... Looks like it will Ship Wednesday...

We return you to your regularly Scheduled Fix It tips.....

AL

Rapidroy
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
You can try a blob of solder and a small wire. Any electrionic parts store would have one. I checked RadioShack.com and it looks like they have one but to low of volts.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102589

will george
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Try a local Hobby shop that has radio control, robotics etc.

No connection to them but a place I have been to that has lots of stuff.

http://www.daveswebshop.com/

If you go there do not bring alot of money. You may go home broke!

Do a search for something local that carries surplus electronics.

hray
12-21-2009, 09:07 PM
try newark .com they sell electronic parts even on small orders

lhanner
12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all your input. After talking to LHR the compactor would not have fixed the open cover error, although it could be that it was contributing to some of the other issues I have had like Z-truck errors, board sensor errors. I ordered the new board today for 303.00 and I get a 100.00 refund when returning the old board. THANKS AGAIN THIS IS THE BEST DAMM FORUM ON THE NET.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Since you pointed this fact out.... I would unplug the board detector from the top and back of the Z and see if the open cover goes away....

A Shorted wire on the board detector wire can cause this.....

Changing the computer might fix this but this could be the problem too....

Wish you posted a picture of the Cap, it would have cut the Confusion...

AL

Chief
12-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Ken,

I haven't seen a TV shop in years. If you have 10 pages of shops within a 10 mile radius and you don't live in NYC, then those pages must be awful small.

Chief

Chief
12-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Doug,

I bought a 36" Sony, picture tube style, before the flat screens became popular. I had 2 horses for sons, both 6'3", the muscular one is 270 lbs and his big brother is 367...... and they struggled to get it into my living room. The next time it's moved will be with a sledge hammer. I don't know where I might find a competent repairman but I wouldn't ask anybody to try to move that monstrosity.

Chief

lhanner
12-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Digitalwoodshop
I apologize for not posting the cap.

Kenm810
12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Chief,

It's really not to many pages,

I live just 6 miles North of Detroit, :wink:
but that my problem, and whole different story.

10 Mile radius:
Area = pi x radius squared where pi = 3.1416
Radius = diameter/2 = 10 Miles
Area = 3.1416 x 10 x 10 = 314.16 sq Miles.