PDA

View Full Version : Home Printer

chebytrk
12-20-2009, 10:53 PM
OK... this isn't related to anything on the CW, but I could really use some help from some "techy" guru's out there. I've got a wireless router (Verizon FIOS) at home and a desktop(A), printer (a HP all in one) and a desktop (B). Desktop (B) connects to the router via wireless card for internet access as does Desktop (A). Desktop A is connected to printer (via cable since they're next to each other) and all works fine. How do I connect Desktop B to the printer via wireless router? I have no idea how to do this and could really use some guideance on this. Is there some place that I can go to for some step by step instructions? Printer is wireless and has Bluetooth also (HP Photosmart Premium). Any ideas is greatly appreciated. You can send me an email if you'd like. Thanks, JerryB

dbfletcher
12-21-2009, 12:05 AM
OK... this isn't related to anything on the CW, but I could really use some help from some "techy" guru's out there. I've got a wireless router (Verizon FIOS) at home and a desktop(A), printer (a HP all in one) and a desktop (B). Desktop (B) connects to the router via wireless card for internet access as does Desktop (A). Desktop A is connected to printer (via cable since they're next to each other) and all works fine. How do I connect Desktop B to the printer via wireless router? I have no idea how to do this and could really use some guideance on this. Is there some place that I can go to for some step by step instructions? Printer is wireless and has Bluetooth also (HP Photosmart Premium). Any ideas is greatly appreciated. You can send me an email if you'd like. Thanks, JerryB

Probably the easiest this to do is make sure Desktop A & B are both int he same workgroup (right click "my Computer"/Properties/Computer Name tab). Once that is done, on desktop A, open your printers folder right clikc on your printer and there should be a "sharing" menu select there. You can then share the printer to the internal network. Next go to start/accessories/communcations on both mahines and run the network setup wizard... here you can set them both for a "home/small office" network. If everything is done right, the desktop B should add the printer from desktop A automatically.

This is another one of those instances where it is much easier to use a remote control program and just walk you through the steps in real time. It not real complicated but if you dont understand ost of the jargon and how netowrking works it can be awkward to get everything setup right.

let me know if you have issues or questions. The above assumes that both pc are runing xp... steps are similair for vista and/or windows 7 but not identical. Actually.. not that i'm thinking about it.. i think if you just run the nwetwork setup wizard on both, that will also set the worksgroups for you. I typically dont use the wizard, but it does make some things easier for novice users.

Doug Fletcher

lhanner
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Make your printer a shared printer on decktop A. Heres how goto controll pannel select printers and double click on it when the list of printers come up right click on it and you will seee sharing click on this and it will now be a shared divice over your network. Then goto decktop b and go into controll pannel and double click on printers right above the window you will see add printer click on this and then a click on network printer and select the printer from desktop a.

Hope this helps

Lon