PDA

View Full Version : Carver is Jamming while moving board

rockman
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I just replaced the IR sensor on the carver and made one 5 min. project to test the accuracy. I went to lift the carving head when the crank failed. CR sent me a new one, I installed it with no problem, but when I attempted to measure the length of a piece of wood, the sandpaper moved the wood about 2 inches stopped moving and made bad noises. I rechecked everything I did mechanically and all looks fine. Still the same issue occurred. Good news the machine is still under warranty. Bad news the Warranty expires 12/24/2009.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I hope I haven't missed an existing thread.

Thanks

Jeff_Birt
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Check to see that the Head (part the cranks up/down) is level with the base of the machine.

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you broke the X Drive Gear.... Cranking the head down TOO tight will do it.... A Scale Check of Pressure would have helped...

Wedge Shaped board, Right side Guide TOO close, Pressure too tight all can cause the broken gear....

The gear is designed to snap.... It is a safety... A $5.00 gear or a expensive Motor or $300.00 Computer. Something must give when it jams...

LOTS posted on this....

Search "X Gear" "Check Head Pressure" to find pictures and info....

Use the " "

AL

rockman
12-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks to you both. I'll check this out.

dcalvin4
12-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds like you broke the X Drive Gear.... Cranking the head down TOO tight will do it.... A Scale Check of Pressure would have helped...

Wedge Shaped board, Right side Guide TOO close, Pressure too tight all can cause the broken gear....

The gear is designed to snap.... It is a safety... A $5.00 gear or a expensive Motor or $300.00 Computer. Something must give when it jams...

LOTS posted on this....

Search "X Gear" "Check Head Pressure" to find pictures and info....

Use the " "

AL

when putting my board into the machine ,i have found if i slide the board left to right [the same way it is measures length the machine] to be sure the bd. is not wedge shaped and or make sure the piece is parrallel width ways so it doest drag tooo much on the Right side Guide TOO close ..if the bd gets stuck there could be trouble with the feed of wood,....good call big al
denny

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Even I have had to replace the X Gear due to a jam... I always butt the board up to the left guide at the brass roller and after I get the head cranked down feel the left guide with my finger tips and the board junction. If the board is shifted, like a car having it's wheels turned, I lift the head and reset it...

AL

rockman
12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately, I have to go to work tomorrow, but I'll check this out after work. thanks to all.