PDA

View Full Version : I am in limbo

Aaron B
06-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I have been looking at this machine but also have been comparing it to larger CNC machines (not sure if I can mention other names). Anyway all I am really wanting to do is liven up my woodworking projects, by carving 2d, 2.5d into parts of them. This machine seems like its what I would need, but the size worries me. Has anyone come across any instances where they could of used something lager than 14", maybe a panel they glued up or something and the design was large.

I wont be using this for "production" per say because I work full time and only do woodworking as a hobby, don't want any deadlines in my hobby. Thanks for any tips or suggestions on trying to decide what to do.

Aaron

Old Salt
06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
You can glue you boards to make wider panels I have made made toy box lids 36x 24 with no problem sinply devide up your pattern into sections . you can work with grid lines to line up items. wrks very well . :wink:

Aaron B
07-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Thank you, wasn't sure if you could line up stuff accurately if you had larger designs. The more information I have the better decision I can make.

Thanks again.

BobHill
07-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Aaron,

In fact, I've found the CW to be so exacting that I've had the work stop in the middle of a carving session (my wife used the same curcuit and it blew the circuit breaker) and I removed the work piece, vacuumed everything, replaced the wood (and not exactly as it was prior to removal) and reset the work exactly the same as original and it restarted the project exactly and didn't cut any new wood (even a chip) until it came to the point where it had stopped, then just continued as it would have prior to the power loss.

And since then, I've learned that one can start the project over, stop it, manually jog to the section to be cut, and then you don't have to go through the time where it isn't doing any actual work. It'll start cutting where it should, and how it should. All settings become automatic in measuring and setting. Pretty good stuff.

Bob Hill

Dan-Woodman
07-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Bob
Where did you hear that it will start in the middle of a program if you use jog. I was under the impresstion the jog was just for moving the posistion to start the program in a certain spot to avoid defects or knots.
I do not think it will start in the middle of a program.

BobHill
07-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Dan,

I tried to locate the topic where that was entered, but finally gave up. I know it was in response to the topic I wrote where I outlined the restart of a project and found it's accuracy, but darned if I can find it now. A search turned up too many things to go through too<g>.

Bob

Dan-Woodman
07-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Bob
Back when my computor died I brought this up that it would be a nice
fieture to have,and cw said that would be something they could posible work on for future updates,and I told them I had to start the program over and remove the bit until it got close to the spot where it stopped,and seemed to thing that was all we could do for now.That would be a nice thing to be able to do though.

BobHill
07-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Dan,

It's possible that I got that information from Chris or David on one of my calls too. It's possible that they did do what you asked as a feature and it may be in the newest version of Designer orders to the machine too, but I do recall someone adding that information to either the phone call or the post message where I told of my findings of the machine accuracy on repeating a project on the same board.

I had mentioned that my work piece included the extra length for full roller contact during it's creation, and I was told that in order to be sure the bit could track the surface, if there wasn't this roller room, one can start the project and prior to it's check of the surface, STOP, and jog the piece to where the bit will hit a full surface height, then after it was started, it could be manually jogged to where the project would once again start properly where it had not been cut before, and it would take up where it should in that project.

Perhaps I was reading into that, for I never did try it, but I believe that was what I was told .... not that my memory might not be misleading me though<g>.

Bob

cmorlier
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Currently, you can not start in the middle of a project. We do plan to have a recovery feature in the future, but no estimate on when that will be available.

One trick that we have used is to simply remove features that have carved from your project and restart the machine with the modified version of your project.