PDA

View Full Version : Machine Powers off when moving head

edutrisac
12-20-2009, 09:07 AM
A few hours into a 7 hour carve, I heard the CW stop. When I went to look at it the display was blank. Turning it off then on did not work. I unpluged it and then pluged it back in and when I turned it on, the display showed for aobut 1 second and then went blank again. Left it off and unplugged for the night. Turned it on this morning and all seemed OK. Until I went to lower the head. After I turned the handle a few turns to lower the head the display went blank again. As I raised it, it came back on. When it does come back on, it goes though the usual process on the display as it does when you power it on. A little more testing moving the head and the unit will intermittently power on and off. Doesn't seem to matter if I move up or down.

I've had the unit for over 2 years now (not a heavy user, under 100hrs), Except for a torn friction belt, this is my first problem with it.

Any help where to look first would be a great help before I start tearing apart the CW.

Hoping to get a few projects completed for Christmas. :(

Thanks.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
12-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I would turn your machine on it's side (muffler side down), remove cover and check micro switch connections.

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Search my posts on "L2 Power Supply" and find pictures...

The L2 in the Power supply has finally been shaken to death by the vibrating QC... Buy a ROCK...

AL

edutrisac
12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I've searched the forum for "L2 Power Supply", although I have found a few threads where you mention it, I've yet to find the one with pictures. I have however remove the power supply and examined it. I have located the L2 coil but it look fine. Asside from maybe a few questionable solder joints I haven't found anything obvious. I will take out my soldering iron and fix a few cold solder joints that I do see. I had a Pioneer cassette deck in one of my first cars that would shut off every time I'd hit a bump, I couldn't find any cracked solder joints so I fixed all the ones that looked questionable and the deck worked fine after that.

I hope that it fixes this issue as well.

I guess the vibration from moving the head up and down is what is causing the CW to turn off and on.

I've read a lot about the Rock in the past couple of nights. It appears the Rock is better engineering than the QC Chuck, I'll have to invest in one.

How would you compare the noise and vibrations level between the QC and Rock chuck on say a 1 to 10 scale were 10 would be the noise and vibration level of th QC?

Thanks for the info so far, I'll let you know how I do with the power supply.

dbfletcher
12-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I've searched the forum for "L2 Power Supply", although I have found a few threads where you mention it, I've yet to find the one with pictures. I have however remove the power supply and examined it. I have located the L2 coil but it look fine. Asside from maybe a few questionable solder joints I haven't found anything obvious. I will take out my soldering iron and fix a few cold solder joints that I do see. I had a Pioneer cassette deck in one of my first cars that would shut off every time I'd hit a bump, I couldn't find any cracked solder joints so I fixed all the ones that looked questionable and the deck worked fine after that.

I hope that it fixes this issue as well.

I guess the vibration from moving the head up and down is what is causing the CW to turn off and on.

I've read a lot about the Rock in the past couple of nights. It appears the Rock is better engineering than the QC Chuck, I'll have to invest in one.

How would you compare the noise and vibrations level between the QC and Rock chuck on say a 1 to 10 scale were 10 would be the noise and vibration level of th QC?

Thanks for the info so far, I'll let you know how I do with the power supply.

I really wish someone would use a sound meter with the rock vs QC so we would have objective numbers. Subjectively though... before i switched to the rock, my CW was considerably louder than my dust collector. After the switch the DC is now the louder of the two... good and bad... good as in a lot less noise.. but bad becuase before i could tell when the CW was done by the sound... now it is much harder since the DC make more noise. Vibration is almost nill as you can see from handle... with the qc it would vibrate and rotate while carving... now it is perfectly still.

Oh.. and for your scale... if the qc was a "10" on the loudness scale before.. it would be at least a 5-6 now with the rock. (10 being loudest... 1 being off)

You cant go wrong with the rock.. it is just an excellent product.

Doug Fletcher

lovejoys
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
the QC is like running a V8 on 6 plugs

the Rock is running on all 8 and sounds a lot better

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Here are some pictures as I finish my Shift in the Shop at 1 AM...

The L2 vibrates and like bending copper wire over and over you will see it change color and snap... That is what the QC is doing to the L2 and C1...

It is broken below the surface of the board and see by pushing the L2 coil and you see the lead is broken below the surface where it bends over on the bottom of the board.

I posted a how the Power Supplies work a few weeks ago with pictures and the L2 in a coil that removes noise from the power and is like a fuse as it is in line just before the output of the power supply. When the lead snaps you loose power....

Look at the pictures... Talked to a guy the other day who swore it was GOOD yet still did not work.... I told him to solder a wire between the coil contacts on the bottom of the board for a QUICK TEST then shut it off....

Well it worked with the Short.... of the L2 Coil... I WOULD NOT LEAVE IT as the L2 has a purpose and NEEDS TO BE IN THE CIRCUIT...

This advice is given just to TEST the L2 Coil... I take NO responsibility for any damage to your CW or Power Supply... It is a good test but you really need to know what you are doing to do it....

Look at the difference between picture 2 and 3.... See when pushed it exposes more wire that is BROKEN within the circuit Board....

And Picture 4 and 5 are what you can expect later due to QC Vibration.... The C1 on the X Termination Board... I have had 2 snap due to the QC Vibration last summer. Now I have ROCKS...

Another QUICK TEST is to lay the machine on it's back.... The Muffler Side and tap on the unit them turn it on... The LCD will Light UP as the weight of the Lolly Pop of a L2 Coil presses itself back into the hole where is is broken....

Good Luck,

AL

Got the 500 tags printed and I am working on the 20 defects.... Tomorrow... I mean in a few hours... I will print the 69 Fire Truck Ring Tags... Ships Tuesday after a Kodak moment.....

Then I start the 15 Accountability Boards.... Will use the CW for them...

After they ship I will take a day off.... Enough of this 2 Shifts... 10 AM to 4 PM and 6 PM to 1 AM....

edutrisac
12-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the pictures, I'll have a look at it. Worst case, I have an uncle who repairs electronics, I can bring it to him to repair it. I'll let you know.

And maybe consider the Rock as a Christmas gift to myself. Would you happen to know if they ship to Canada?

luckettg
12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Al,
I just created a Word Doc file of your post and added it to my Servicing files. Thanks.

My QC was still working as well as one does but I got tired of it sticking and vibrating, installed a Rock Chuck at about 23 operating hours. I am now at about 28 hours and loving that new chuck. Vibration is way down, noise is about 1/3 less, bit change outs are a breeze. I am happy :D.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks Greg !!!!

You ROCK !!!!

edutrisac
12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Good call Al.

Despite the 3 big globs of silicon they put around the L2 coil, it still vibrated enough to break the inside lead of the coil. After taking off the heat sinks and silicon, I was able to see the broken lead.

Should be an easy fix. :D

I'll get the Rock ordered before the QC vibrates anything else to death. It seems like a no brainer preventive maintenance.

Digitalwoodshop
12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Good JOB finding it..... And FIXING IT....

AL

edutrisac
12-23-2009, 06:14 AM
As time is running out looks like my twin nieces will have to wait for their gift. It will now be a birthday gift for their birthday in January. I picked up a few Tinker Bell dolls for them for Christmas instead. Somehow I don't think they will mind. :)

I'll update after Christmas, lukily I have a week off. :mrgreen:

edutrisac
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Sorry for not keeping you's up to date. I know you've must have all been worried about me & my projects :). Well rest assured, you can all sleep well now. :) I've finally had time to repair the L2 coil on my power supply. I've completed a 1 hour test carve without any issues. I'm am now into the last hour of a 5 hour carve and all is well.

Thanks again AL for sending me in the right direction.

:mrgreen:

edutrisac
01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
My project completed fine, however I kept hearing occasional noise. After standing over it for a while (during the carve), I'm pretty sure its the flexshaft that was making the noise. Whenever I heard the noise I could feel a lot of vibrations in the flexshaft. When the carve completed, I took the flexshaft core out to examine it and it seemed fairly dry. Tomorrow, I will try to find the lubricant mentioned in the service manual and lubricate the core, I've read some pretty good tips in the forum fro lubricating it. I had also measured the flexshaft temperature during the carve at about 114 degrees. Anyways, this is where I believe the noise is coming from, anyone know of anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Eddy.