PDA

View Full Version : quick change or bearings?

RS1626
12-20-2009, 06:32 AM
i can grab my quick change chuck and move it left or right front to back about 1/8" can any body tell me whats going on

rjustice
12-20-2009, 08:29 AM
i can grab my quick change chuck and move it left or right front to back about 1/8" can any body tell me whats going on

RS1626,
You will have to take a close look to see if when you move it back and forth, if the whole "Z" truck is loose on the rails. If so, you may have a loose bearing, or you could have a cracked "Z"truck casting (usually on the bottom right).. Or it could simply be the bearings need adjustment...

If not, then take a look to see if the spindle is loose in the "Z" truck when you move it. This is usually caused by a circular spacer ring falling out of the gap between the bottom bearing and the "Z" truck housing. It is a silver stamping that is corrogated, and is about 1-1/4 diameter, and about 1/2" tall. You would likely notice it on your workpiece when the machine finished if it fell out (unless it found its way down your downdraft system if you have one)

If not, then look to see if the QC is just moving inside itself. The bearings may simply not be seating properly in the groove on the bit adapter...

Hope this helps!

If you are having problems with the QC check out the info below in my signature..

Good luck and happy carving,

Ron

RS1626
12-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah The Stamped Ring Is Gone And I Can't Find It Any Where Do You Have Any Part#s For It Or Does It Have To Come From Carvewright? The Threads On Chuck Is That Right Or Left Hand? Can You Use A 1/4" Adapter To Get It Off Or Does It Have To Be A 1/2?

Digitalwoodshop
12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Could be this Bearing damper has fallen out.... Then the lower Z Spindle Bearing moves in all directions...

AL

rjustice
12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah The Stamped Ring Is Gone And I Can't Find It Any Where Do You Have Any Part#s For It Or Does It Have To Come From Carvewright? The Threads On Chuck Is That Right Or Left Hand? Can You Use A 1/4" Adapter To Get It Off Or Does It Have To Be A 1/2?

I dont believe that the Ring is sold seperately. LHR discourages end users from changing out bearings, and this is part of the "press in" assembly. You will likely have to order a "Z"truck assembly. The threads are Right hand, the thin wrench is 7/8. I do have the QC removal tools on my website if you are interested. You definitely want a tool that fits the spindle perfectly, or you could damage the spindle when you remove it... If you choose to go with the Rock Chuck, Kit#1 comes with all the tools you need for the change out of the chuck.

Hope this helps,

Ron

liquidguitars
12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Ron,

I recently rebuilt my old Beta CW " R1", replaced the z truck and y motors, bearings and roller rods, added your 1/2 Rock I got in the mail yesterday, excellent work!

My old beta R1 machine is cutting so nice! If anyone is rebuilding the carvewright i recommend new roller rods $ 7.99 ea.. :-D

rjustice
12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Ron,

I recently rebuilt my old Beta CW " R1", replaced the z truck and y motors, bearings and roller rods, added your 1/2 Rock I got in the mail yesterday, excellent work!

My old beta R1 machine is cutting so nice! If anyone is rebuilding the carvewright i recommend new roller rods $ 7.99 ea.. :-D

Thanks Brandon!.. I am glad you are pleased!...

Happy Carving, and Happy Holidays!

Ron