PDA

View Full Version : Another bit chuck problem

JimStaley
12-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I started the project with the carving bit and had trouble getting it to seat. It finally seemed to be solidly seated, so I began carving. When I switched to the cutting bit, I had a lot of trouble removing the carving bit, When I installed the cutting bit, I has even more difficulty. It had a slight wiggle, but I decided to finish the project. Mistake! The bit broke after about 5 incjes of travel. When I removed it, I examined the bit holder and found small impressions ecery 120 degrees above rhe groove. Then I looked at the carving bit and found similar but much deeper imoressions that appeared to be caused by ball bearings. I conclude that I didn't have the bit holder seated properly and the chuck made the impressions. I have used compressed air to b;pw out the chick and cleaned it with WD40. However, I can't get a different bit holder with no ball bearing marks to seat without a slight wiggle. My unit is still under warranty, so I don't want to replace the QR wwith a Rock bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I read the last thread about chuck problem and someone asked if the user reported seeing BB impressions, but didn't say what to do about it. Is the chuck ruined?

dbfletcher
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I started the project with the carving bit and had trouble getting it to seat. It finally seemed to be solidly seated, so I began carving. When I switched to the cutting bit, I had a lot of trouble removing the carving bit, When I installed the cutting bit, I has even more difficulty. It had a slight wiggle, but I decided to finish the project. Mistake! The bit broke after about 5 incjes of travel. When I removed it, I examined the bit holder and found small impressions ecery 120 degrees above rhe groove. Then I looked at the carving bit and found similar but much deeper imoressions that appeared to be caused by ball bearings. I conclude that I didn't have the bit holder seated properly and the chuck made the impressions. I have used compressed air to b;pw out the chick and cleaned it with WD40. However, I can't get a different bit holder with no ball bearing marks to seat without a slight wiggle. My unit is still under warranty, so I don't want to replace the QR wwith a Rock bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I read the last thread about chuck problem and someone asked if the user reported seeing BB impressions, but didn't say what to do about it. Is the chuck ruined?

Unfortunately it does sound like the qc is toast.... AND.. the qc isnt a warrented item. If your purchased from Sears, you probably still have the opportunity to return to sears for a replacement machine but other wise you will probably have to get a new qc AND new bit holders for all your bits....or as you have probably figured out... get a rock chuck and be done with chuck issues forever.

Doug Fletcher

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2009, 12:03 PM
There is lots posted about BB Marks and the QC vibration... But less since most serious users have switched to the ROCK.

Do some searching using the " " and you will find 50 posts with me promoting the ROCK and WHY....

So at this point you are required to replace the QC and ALL bit holders.... Don't replace the Bit Holders and the SLOPPPPPPPY Bit Holders will wear out the QC in one project....

Replace the ROCK once and be done with the high speed vibration, bit flutter and future L2, C1 and Board Detector Problems.

Pay me now or pay me more later..... Buy the Rock now or pay more in repairs later....

I get $50.00 Referral Fee from RJustice with every Endorsement Post.... Just kidding...:-D

And use Masking Tape.... My Stock is down.....:)

AL

rjustice
12-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi Jim,
You can find all the info on the Rock Chuck system in the links below in my signature if you wish to check it out. In the long run this really is a great investment in your machine. I have many customers that are well over 500 hours of use on their machine without problems. It truly makes a difference!

Happy Holidays, and Happy Carving!

Ron