PDA

View Full Version : If you leave the room whle your cw is running

lawrence
12-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Hope what happened to me doesn't happen to you....

...a hole in my 1.5 hp DustCollector bag..... you could make sawdust angels on my shop floor....

so I spent 45 minutes cleanin up and blowing everything off, and moved on to another project

and forgot that I hadn't put a new bag on yet

SO I DID IT AGAIN!!!!

I think my boys have learned some new words today

Time to walk away for a bit :roll:
Sometimes you just have to laugh

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Careful there.... Dust in the air can be explosive.... The Cut Motor brush arc would be enough to..... well you get the idea....

Like the guy that built a Air Compressor with a old 30 gallon well water tank... The release valve got rust in it and the tank exploded..... Lucky he was out of the shop....

AL

Wild Bill
12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Home shop dust flash fires or explosions are extremely unlikely. Think about it, every tool that produces dust would come with a huge warning label that may be used in an enclosed room with an appliance with a standing pilot light.

Check out this article:

http://stason.org/TULARC/crafts/woodworking-5/162-Re-Dust-Collection-Heating.html

Chief
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Wild Bill,

While it is true that dust explosions are rare, it's not as easy a subject as your fire marshall or the NFPA would lead you to believe. Any item or substance, ground fine enough and in the right concentration and an available source of ignition will ignite at such a rapid speed as to be called an explosion. I still remember the exhibits put on by our fire prevention boys when I was in the Training Academy. One of the things shown is how dangerous a minute amount of gasoline can be. The other, backed by a demonstration, was a story of a woman spilled flour in her kitchen, sweeping it up and then dropping the floor into the trash shaft. Evidently at one time it was common for apartment buildings to have their trash drop into an incinerator to minimize garbage-hauling charges. Anyhow, the flour ignited and the flash burnt the woman. Since then, the doors to these common shafts have been redesigned so that you can't dump into the shaft but have to close the door so that the contents can drop into the incinerator. The demonstration to show this was to cause about 1/4 teason of cinnamon to ignite. It sounds like a shotgun going off. As I said, anything ground finely enough is susceptible to ignition, including steel.

The odds of you having dust fine enough and in such a concentration to ignite is pretty slim but why push your luck. If it happened in your basement, you might not be hurt but others further away from the source can be knock off their feet and every window in your house broken. If you could see the damage that the gas from one of those one pound propane cannisters can do, you probably would never use it in your house.

Al

Digitalwoodshop
12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Sorry.... I pictured a room full of airborne dust in the air.... So thick it was hard to see the equipment, blowing out of your dust collector in a concentration that "could" become explosive....

Now I see... Dust on the floor next to the dust collector, enough to make dust angles... My BAD...:mrgreen:

1/60th the size I took from the first posting... My Bad...

Good Link on Fire Hazards...

Thanks,

AL:rolleyes:

Chief
12-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Al,

I'm sorry but I was a little remiss in not stating that anything finely ground enough to ignite HAS to be in suspension such as being hit by a blast of air from any air source. If the wood dust is laying on the floor, it's more of a slipping hazard that a fire problem.

Chief