PDA

View Full Version : Bit Life?

David M.
06-28-2006, 10:06 PM
I know it will very depending on woods used, but does anyone know what the usable life expectancy of the carving bit is likely to be, others as well. 50 hours 100 any guesses? Has anyone reached this point or is the bit breaking first?

pkunk
06-29-2006, 09:42 AM
I know it will very depending on woods used, but does anyone know what the usable life expectancy of the carving bit is likely to be, others as well. 50 hours 100 any guesses? Has anyone reached this point or is the bit breaking first?
I read about it somewhere but can't find it now. If I remember correctly, they ran 200 hrs and it was still good. Explaination was that the bits were end mills designed for steel. I have over 40 hours and my carving bit is still very sharp.

David M.
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
I just have this fear of breaking this fine bit, should I have this concern or are these much stronger than they appear. It just seems like they get a lot of side strain moving back and forth as they do.

pkunk
06-29-2006, 11:14 AM
I just have this fear of breaking this fine bit, should I have this concern or are these much stronger than they appear. It just seems like they get a lot of side strain moving back and forth as they do.
I doubt it unless you dropped it. I just finished a 2+ hour carve 1/4" deep, in hard white oak, & all is well.

David M.
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Some of my pieces have been in hard red oak also and I could here a difference in the cut noise, but no trouble. Dropping it has crossed my mind more than once.