PDA

View Full Version : Cenetering front and back accuracy?

jcaravella
12-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I was wondering how accurate the carvewright is (of cuorse dependant on my measurements and centered in carving sled) to carve front and bak of a piece that is 1-1/2" thick. and possibly cut though with tabs to hold wood together to be cut off manually after the carve.

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I place text on the back of signs all the time..... I copy the front text then use the drill function and place 2 holes on the edges of the text left and right. Flip the board and paste the text. Flip the text and align to the drill holes and your done... Delete the drill holes.

And I use place on end 100% of the time so my distance from one end is the same.

AL

Chief
12-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Al,

If you place on end, what keeps your board from tilting a tad? Wouldn't "placing on center" be more reliable?

chhief

chebytrk
12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I place text on the back of signs all the time..... I copy the front text then use the drill function and place 2 holes on the edges of the text left and right. Flip the board and paste the text. Flip the text and align to the drill holes and your done... Delete the drill holes.

And I use place on end 100% of the time so my distance from one end is the same.

AL

Hey Al,

I looked at a diagram that was made by someone once and I only see Place on Corner, Jog to Center, Jog to Edge and Center on Board. Do you mean Jog to Edge? I've never done that. If I select Jog to Edge does it automatically go to the Edge or do I need to place it there? If so, how far to the edge? Will it only let you jog so far to the edge before it stops automatically? Just wondering........ thanks O.B.Wan! :) I just can't "feel the force" yet!

AskBud
12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Al,

If you place on end, what keeps your board from tilting a tad? Wouldn't "placing on center" be more reliable?

chhief

When you select "Place on End" the machine will still keep the 3.5" filler (if you said Stay Under Rollers).
The Place on End option usually will appear when your board is the same width as the Designer board, but much longer than what the design calls for.
It was a way to help you avoid always using "Place on Center".

If the actual board is "wider" than the design board, and longer as above, the unit will give you the option of "place on Corner".
AskBud

PS: In my opinion, 2 sided carves are usually best when Placed on Center.

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I always place a 4 inch empty area on the right side of Designer with all my designs. I always have the front under a roller with that 4 inches and use a longer then required board so I always have the board under 2 rollers 100% of the time.

Picture 1 and 2 show the art and the sign. I insert the signs 2 inches in a slot in the 4 x 4 post and with a 2 inch boarder on each side of the lettering the sign is balanced.

With smaller things like pictures 3 and 4, I setup designer with picture 5 showing the DEAD area on the right side of Designer for the SLED and know right where to place the board blank held by masking tape.

I have broken 2 bits in 3 years.... One after cleaning and slid a board in with the head down and heard the TWANG of the bit snapping.... The Second when using the QC and the High Vibration tore the Tabs and the wood pinched.... Other than that no broken bits as I keep wood under the rollers 100% of the time...

The Signs are from 6 foot boards and I get 2 signs from a 6 foot board and trim the back end to length after carving using 2 inches after the lettering as a guide.

By placing on END I have a predictable placement every time and the board does not measure from the END to the FRONT a SECOND TIME looking for Exact Center.... That is more wear and tear on the machine moving EVERY Project from end to end TWICE..... Use place on End and it measures to the end of the project and if it still has wood under the back roller it is GOOD TO GO..... Saves Time and MONEY using place on end...

OK.... Slowly Stepping off my Soap Box and going back to work.....

It's the Epoxy Fumes.... Makes me silly...:-D

AL

Like Bud said, sometimes the board will measure 2/10 of an inch wider than the Designer board and give me the message that the board is wider by 1/10's of an inch and should I "Place on the Corner?"... I always do and have never been able to tell the sign is one half of 1/10th off Center.... So Place on Corner works for me too with no problem placing on end.... If you had a 8 inch wide designer board and a 11.25 inch real board and told a 2 sided project to place on corner, I can see they would be 3.25 inches off.... But not bad at 1/10th....

Remember the Right side of Designer is the FRONT or the end of the board or toward the muffler....

PCW
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Al,

Good tip and I will be doing my layouts like this from now on. If for any other reason but to avoid the 3.5" glue/tape on piece on the other end of the board.:D

Eagle Hollow
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
EXCELLENT tip! That will save me a whole lot of time and wear on the carver. Especially the 5 and 6 foot projects.

You rock Al. Thanks for all the help you provide on this forum. I owe you one. Do you like fudge?

Jerry C.

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Guys... I just have my way of doing things like the dead space, place on end and masking tape and whenever I mention that I do it, I try to mention WHY.... I had a sign board that was close the the length a few weeks ago and used Center on Board and it did the "SILLY Measure TWICE" thing and I said to myself.... That is another reason why I like place on end.... I still have 5 trash cans full of 4 inch cut off blocks from the first year.... I have made many into Christmas Signs 3 at a time on that Jig in picture 5... That is why the 3 blocks... Lets me center the text. I blew off the last 3 Craft Shows for the year to work on this tag order...

My machines sent me a Christmas Card asking when I was going to return and use them.... :roll: Almost 3 weeks now and have not even turned one on....

Fire Tags keep me up late at night.... Back for the 6 PM to 1 AM shift....

They are coming out GREAT...

AL