PDA

View Full Version : My bit chuck is stuck

Milanth
12-18-2009, 08:34 AM
My chuck that holds the bit is stuck. It won't move up to release the bit. I did oil it yesterday along with the bits. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

dbfletcher
12-18-2009, 08:40 AM
My chuck that holds the bit is stuck. It won't move up to release the bit. I did oil it yesterday along with the bits. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Have you tried to use the bit removal tool? Just insert the tool, very gently pry up a little, remove tool... turn chuch 1/4 turn ... use tool again... and repeat?

Doug Fletcher

Milanth
12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I tried the bit removal tool. It won't budge at all. I have turned 1/4 turn and try again. I will try that and see if it works. I only use the bit removal tool to get the bits out.

dbfletcher
12-18-2009, 08:53 AM
I tried the bit removal tool. It won't budge at all. I have turned 1/4 turn and try again. I will try that and see if it works. I only use the bit removal tool to get the bits out.

Where you using the machine when this happened? Is there a bit stuck in the now? For whatever reason, when I was using the qc, occassionaly the bit would get stuck similiar to what you desribe... no matter what i would do I could not move the collar. Typically just letting the machine sit would allow the bit and/or chuck to cool and contract enough to let it unbind itself.

It is also possible that one of the set screws in the bit holder has worked it self out and is binding the qc mechansim.

I'm sooooooo glad I purchased the Rock and all my qc issues are long behind me.

Good luck...

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Likely sawdust packed in just enough to jam it up - keep messing with it, tap the QC with the wooden handle of your hammer, tey to release the bit, 1/4 turn, do it again, and again, etc., place a rag under the bit, it will fall when you least expect it, the rag will protect the bit and your rollers.

Once released, snap the qc a bunch of times till no more sawdust falls out, clean it and the adapter well, you'll be ok.

Forcing it will not do anything but harm, just keep messing with it - it's the sawdust that's causing you problems.

Milanth
12-18-2009, 09:16 AM
I tried turning it 1/4 turn and it still won't budge. I was using it last night. It has cooled down this am but it still won't come out. I have a nice shop with heat and air, very climate controlled. I will try taping on the QC and see if I can get it to release. If not I will be back :)

mtylerfl
12-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Squirt WD-40 UP under and into the chuck in the crevices around the bit (lay towels under it to protect the traction belts from the drips). The idea is to wash out the packed sawdust. Work the bit removal tool gently around and around until the collar lifts and frees the bit. Usually doesn't take long - a couple minutes maybe.

Apply a thin layer of 3-in-1 oil inside the chuck after cleaning. Keeping the chuck clean will minimize stuck bit problems, but after a long carve, sometimes the fine dust gets packed in there even when you start with a squeaky-clean chuck. I've had at least two occasions when the bit was being very stubborn coming out after long carves.

Milanth
12-18-2009, 09:49 AM
It worked with the wooden end of the hammer. I gently tapped the QC until it freed up. The carve I did last night was 2 hr 50 minutes. I clean my machine after ever carve. I did get a soft cloth and used 3-n-1 oil and cleaned out the inside of the QC. It was dirty. I had cleaned it yesterday as well. I put a thin coat of oil on the inside and put just a drop down the QC and worked it around. It is moving freely now. Thanks for all the help.

I have had my machine for 2 weeks yesterday. I am making Christmas presents and have carved 16 plaques and only 4 mess ups :D

Again thanks for the tips!

Digitalwoodshop
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
When you get the bit out look for loose bit holder screws or BB marks in the holder.

Try the sling shot too..... Pulling back the outer shell and letting it snap back....

A Rock would solve this problem.

The longer you use the QC the more vibration causes damage to the L2 and C1 components along with the board detector.

Not everyone has the money for a Rock now but the longer you use the QC the better chance you will need to buy a X Termination Board (C1) or Power Supply (L2) or Board Detector...

AL

Milanth
12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Please tell me what a Rock is? I am a newbie. Like I said I have only had my CW for 2 weeks now.

AskBud
12-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Please tell me what a Rock is? I am a newbie. Like I said I have only had my CW for 2 weeks now.

Here are the links.
AskBud

http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?u=2587

Ike
12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Another thing to look for when you get the bit out is side screws being loose. If they back out while carving that can get the bit stuck. I too tap the the QC with an end of a screwdriver tapping all around. You will see dust fall out in chunks! Plus with compressed air or your compessor blow it out well and like Michael said lay down a towel on the sandpaper rollers and soak the QC with WD-40.

I bet it is a backed out screw, it is a good ideal to check the screws and add some lock tite or super glue. I go a step further and use vise grips. I have a "Rock" on my CW and my CC has the QC I have never had any problems with the QC except the screw backing out and tapping it it fell out.

I like the Rock it is easy to use yet I don't mind the QC either, except the dang side screws backing out! With the "Rock" I never had a loose bit, but you do need bit stops so when you change bits the machine recognizes the bit in setup.

Ike