PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in the Seattle area

jtreth
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
My father has had the carvewright machine for a year. He has not really used it at all. He has said he tried the software but it is too complicated for him. I've tried to point him to the online tutorials but he has resisted anything to do with the computer. He really enjoys woodworking and has a large wood working shop. I know he would enjoy this machine if he can get past the "technological" block he has.

I feel the best way to do this would be to have him take a class or be tutored by someone. I've contacted CarveWright and they do not have any classes scheduled in the Seattle area.

Does anyone know of any classes that would be offered in this area or of anyone that would be willing to tutor?

Thanks
Jeff

Chief
12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Jeff,

Just how old is your dad? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we didn't have people in this forum that are older.

Chief

Kenm810
12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Quote from Chief: (I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we didn't have people in this forum that are older.)

Yeah, -- a while back I seem to remember this one particularly odd little fellow,
running around wearing Sandals and a Bathrobe, asking some of us “Older Carvers” what the heck a cubit was,
and that he had to built some kind of really big boat. Someone pointed to the distance between his forearm,
from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger, about 18 inches I guess and told him to try that.

Hope it worked out for the little guy, cause not long after that we had a terrific rain storm,
and never saw him or his boat again.

dbfletcher
12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Quote from Chief: (I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we didn't have people in this forum that are older.)

Yeah, -- a while back I seem to remember this one particularly odd little fellow,
running around wearing Sandals and a Bathrobe, asking some of us “Older Carvers” what the heck a cubit was,
and that he had to built some kind of really big boat. Someone pointed to the distance between his forearm,
from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger, about 18 inches I guess and told him to try that.

Hope it worked out for the little guy, cause not long after that we had a terrific rain storm,
and never saw him or his boat again.

Was that the same guy who had all thoses crazy pets too? It seemed every day he had a new story abut them.... he was quite the odd little fella... always had to have everything in pairs....

Doug Fletcher

sewpeck
12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
I am a senior citizen who taught himself the computer, with the help of my younger brother whom is a computer guru. I actually build my own computers now and am very computer literate. No brag just fact. Seniors should quit being afraid of technology and embrace it to the extent that it enriches their lives. If your father would like and has Windows XP we could actually do some online tutoring. Recently I was hired to tutor an 80 year old quadriplegic
on the computer, he too was reluctant. After a few weeks he couldn't get enough. If your father would like, email me and we could do some trial work. Of course their is no charge for this.

Chief
12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Ken,

I think you'll find him on top of Mt Ararat in turkey. At least that was the last I heard from him.

Chief

Kenm810
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I think you got, sounds like the same guy, wondered where he went.
I could never for the life of me, figure out why anyone would keep
a couple of those pesky little mosquitoes around though, -- Hmmmm odd http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Deolman
12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Tell me Ken, did you have to travel to the east to learn about cubits?

Kenm810
12-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Not Really, Like I've said, I've just been around for a long long time. :wink:

The Cubic been used for a looooong time:
A very ancient unit, equated with the length of the human forearm from elbow to outstretched finger-tips, and the most versatile body measure.
While very variable between persons, for one person it is consistently close to a quarter of the fathom, i.e. the reach finger-tip to finger-tip of outstretched arms,
and close to two foot lengths. However, in most formal systems it has been equated with 1˝ feet.
The Great Pyramid of Ghiza was measured in the 1880s by Flinders Petrie as having sides of length 230.25 to 230.4 m,
with a mean of 230.355 m. Postulating them as being 250 cubits points to a cubit of about 461 mm and a fathom of about 1.84 m, i.e.
very close to today's international nautical mile, the length of 1 minute of latitude.
In turn this indicates that the Ancient Egyptians, nearly 5 000 years ago, measured Earth's radius.

How about them Apples :razz: