PDA

View Full Version : Is a Rock Chuck Preferred

will-munny
12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello, I just purchased a carvewright. (Its still in the box) Do i need to upgrade to a rock chuck as a lot of problems seemed to be solved by replacing the the original Quick Release. If i do get the rock chuck, My question is this. Do I need the ¼ in or ½ in size. What will work with the cutting bits that come with the machine, and if I get the centerline program and get the bit package will the rock chuck work with those bits also. Thanks for your help.

dcalvin4
12-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Hello, I just purchased a carvewright. (Its still in the box) Do i need to upgrade to a rock chuck as a lot of problems seemed to be solved by replacing the the original Quick Release. If i do get the rock chuck, My question is this. Do I need the ¼ in or ½ in size. What will work with the cutting bits that come with the machine, and if I get the centerline program and get the bit package will the rock chuck work with those bits also. Thanks for your help.

rock chuck is a balanced , easy to install bits,,highly thought out piece of equiptment that you will kick yourself for not buying untill the original quick change disenergrates right before your eyes...do yourself a favor order yourself the rock for fathersday .. i am a cheapscape and do not have a regret
denny
this add was paid for by rock chuck company.............joking

robbrigg2
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM

I use the Rock and find it a huge blessing... you can not go wrong.. just be careful in the install procedures to follow the directions so that you don't hurt your z-truck.

rjustice
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi will-munny,
Welcome to the Carvwright forum community... To answer your question if you are intending on using the full bit set, many of those tools have a 1/2" shank. This includes the 3/8 calibration bit, that at some point you will likely want to use. If you do go this route, you would want to go with the 1/2" version of the Rock Chuck system, and use a 1/2 to 1/4" Rock Sleeve to hold your carving bits, and if you would choose to try my 1/8 cut out bits, you would also want to go with a 1/2 to 1/8" Rock sleeve. This gives you the ability to hold any bit that LHR, or I sell... and of course, I recommend the Rock Chuck as soon as you can swing it. It will run smoother, cooler, and quieter, saving your machine from vibration.

Thanks for your interest!

Ron

Digitalwoodshop
12-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Remember to never send a machine back to LHR with a ROCK on it.... They only test with a QC and the machine will be returned with a QC and possibly with Forever Red Lock Tite.... "Danger young Will Robinson......":rolleyes: I am showing my age... Lost in Space from the 60's....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger,_Will_Robinson

It was only used once on the show and has been with us for years....

I saw the first SUV the "Lost in Space Chariot" at a San Diego Museum in 95 along with a Batmobile....

Blaim it on epoxy fuuuuumes.....

AL

robbrigg2
01-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi all... I wanted to show these two carvings to demonstrate why someone might want to consider the rock.....

Recently I bought my second machine from Sears... the first machine has the rock the new one does not... I am carving multiple projects that use the same ptn file with a name change is all.. they were for a boy and girl in the same family... look at the picture below... the top one is from the QC the bottom is with the ROCK... notice the loss of detail around the small words on the pattern? with the rock they were complely ledgible... might not sell you but it does me.

fwharris
01-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Robert,
I do see a difference in the two carves but from what I can see it also looks like the draft might be different between the two. bottom lettering appears to be wider..

robbrigg2
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Robert,
I do see a difference in the two carves but from what I can see it also looks like the draft might be different between the two. bottom lettering appears to be wider..

That's just it... the draft... everything was exactly the same... I posted pictures of the semi-complete project after recarving on the Rock machine... All I did was take the card out put it in the other machine and I got exact results... the wobble while not noticeable in some things does significant damage to fine details.