PDA

View Full Version : Wood worker with perspective idea

AJp34
12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey guys,

New to this forum. I've gained alot of useful knowledge about this machine too. I will cut to the chase though. I am somewhat experienced in the wood working area (my grandpa was a highschool wood shop teacher). If I were considering to buy this machine, and I understand that it takes some time and patience, could I resonably start a small business creating address signs, name plate, etc.?

Thanks.

AskBud
12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey guys,

New to this forum. I've gained alot of useful knowledge about this machine too. I will cut to the chase though. I am somewhat experienced in the wood working area (my grandpa was a highschool wood shop teacher). If I were considering to buy this machine, and I understand that it takes some time and patience, could I resonably start a small business creating address signs, name plate, etc.?

Thanks.

It will depend upon your "leg-work". Do I see a need? Where/how am I going to get my name out there? Am I going to place some samples a strategic locations? Do I have a Web Page? How are the potential people going to know about me? Could I join the Chamber of Commerce?
etc, etc, etc.......
AskBud

pkunk
12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
A small business maybe. CW does not endorse use commercially but many of the users have made $$ with the machine. Where is the line drawn?:)

AJp34
12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
A small business maybe. CW does not endorse use commercially but many of the users have made $$ with the machine. Where is the line drawn?:)

A small business... maybe. Thats the furthest that I would take it. Just something local, selling address signs to Grandmas or House Numbers to stay at home Mom's. I have read alot of negative reviews(as well as positive) and wasnt sure if this machine was worth the purchase. (I have alot of my own projects awaiting output)

Digitalwoodshop
12-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Look at my website. I do lots of signs. It is just getting known and being able to do what the plastic router template guys can't do.

I have 3 signs to do in January when I finish my Tag project and get caught up.

The first question you must ask is can I handle the FIXING of the small problems with the machine. There will be plenty of small problems like switches and bearings you will need to deal with.

It took me a time to learn to fix the machine and I come from a heavy electronic repair background.

Then there is the spare parts you should have if you are going to depend on the machine to get projects out on time.

Getting the Rock Chuck early on is a PLUS... If the machine goes back to LHR they will expect a QC on the machine and will make a fuss and charge you for a QC so never send the machine to LHR with a ROCK...

I have 2 machines for wood, 1 for cutting plastic tags for my Fire Department stuff and a Parts Machine that I hope to get all the parts back into it and get it running this winter. The plastic I am cutting is Fiber Re enforced Plastic that is designed to be router cut and using the 1/16 inch end mill bit cuts it like butter.

Good Luck

AL

chkorte
12-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I am a new owner of the CW. I have had my CW for about 3 weeks and am still getting use to it but I can see the potential for using it to do what you are talking about. I was leary about buying one at first but after exploring the forum posts and doing a lot of reading and asking questions I jumped in and bought one. So far I am glad I did. This machine is addictive. The software is easy to use and there are lots of patterns available on the web and all kinds of help available on the forum. I have had some problems with using mine but I think I can attribute it to my mistakes. If you decide to buy one read up on maintenance and cleaning. From what I have found the machine likes to be kept clean. You can download the program software and use it free for 30 days to get use to it. I know that there are a lot of negative posts on the web about the CW and I suppose you could get a lemon but so far I am having a blast with mine. I hate to walk away from it at the end of the day. From what I understand you can get a CC through SEARS and return it in 30 days if you don't like it. Good luck

jab73180
12-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Listen to AL if you have any troubleshooting issues at all. there are a few gremlins in the machine when you first get it, but they get worked out from the help of LHR and this forum. It is a great machine once you learn to love it. you do need to be handy if you own this machine though. you will get ito know it inside and out.

Rapidroy
12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
It has a good write up on a small company.

http://www.wix.com/carvewrightmagazine/CarveWrighteMagazine

Rocky
12-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Look at my website. I do lots of signs. It is just getting known and being able to do what the plastic router template guys can't do.

I have 3 signs to do in January when I finish my Tag project and get caught up.

The first question you must ask is can I handle the FIXING of the small problems with the machine. There will be plenty of small problems like switches and bearings you will need to deal with.

It took me a time to learn to fix the machine and I come from a heavy electronic repair background.

Then there is the spare parts you should have if you are going to depend on the machine to get projects out on time.

Getting the Rock Chuck early on is a PLUS... If the machine goes back to LHR they will expect a QC on the machine and will make a fuss and charge you for a QC so never send the machine to LHR with a ROCK...

I have 2 machines for wood, 1 for cutting plastic tags for my Fire Department stuff and a Parts Machine that I hope to get all the parts back into it and get it running this winter. The plastic I am cutting is Fiber Re enforced Plastic that is designed to be router cut and using the 1/16 inch end mill bit cuts it like butter.

Good Luck

AL

All I can add is.............listen to Al!

Ike
12-17-2009, 03:37 PM
All I can add is.............listen to Al!

I too say Ditto! Al is the man!!

Ike

AJp34
12-18-2009, 03:11 AM
I too say Ditto! Al is the man!!

Ike

Though I am new, Al seems to have a respected knowledge. With that, I will most certainly follow his advice, as well as all of you other helpful folks. I was just hoping that this may be a way to supplement a small amout of income (as I just finished college and am having no luck finding a job). I am heavily considering the purchase, though I still need to do a little more research. This seems like a great product as well as an excellent group of people who use it and can be trusted! I look forward to any more comments on the subject!

AJp34
12-18-2009, 03:15 AM
It will depend upon your "leg-work". Do I see a need? Where/how am I going to get my name out there? Am I going to place some samples a strategic locations? Do I have a Web Page? How are the potential people going to know about me? Could I join the Chamber of Commerce?
etc, etc, etc.......
AskBud

Also, I would like to thank you for these extra tips. I am in the beginning stages, this post is definately useful.

cnsranch
12-18-2009, 09:04 AM
AJp -

Starting a business with the CW/CC is no different than starting any other business. Since you just got out of school, put your education investment to work - think about all those biz courses you took, and follow them (of course, if your degree is in underwater basket weaving, you may be in trouble :mrgreen:).

If you want to do it right, start with a business plan, do your competitive analysis, Market Research (i.e., who will your customers be, and are there enough of them), set goals, develop action plans, etc.

This is a great place to live, the USA - I am firmly convinced you can make a living at anything you choose so long as you are committed to your biz, and you have done your homework.

Owning a biz is nothing like working for someone else - it's a tough row to hoe, but the rewards are far greater than if you punch a clock.

Good luck!

chebytrk
12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
AJp -

Starting a business with the CW/CC is no different than starting any other business. Since you just got out of school, put your education investment to work - think about all those biz courses you took, and follow them (of course, if your degree is in underwater basket weaving, you may be in trouble :mrgreen:).

If you want to do it right, start with a business plan, do your competitive analysis, Market Research (i.e., who will your customers be, and are there enough of them), set goals, develop action plans, etc.

This is a great place to live, the USA - I am firmly convinced you can make a living at anything you choose so long as you are committed to your biz, and you have done your homework.

Owning a biz is nothing like working for someone else - it's a tough row to hoe, but the rewards are far greater than if you punch a clock.

Good luck!

Here! Here!
Owning a business is not all it's cracked up to be. It's very rewarding, but definitely hard work. We owned a Medical Supply business for 5 yrs and although I had full control it was very hard work. We were 24/7 "on call" for our oxygen patients. One of our problems was our hearts were too soft sometimes and we either gave things away to needy persons or sold them at our cost. Still made money, but decided that we needed to step out.
Had a Shaved Ice business before too. Now that was cool (no pun intended). Made business plan, cards, letter head, advertising the whole nine yards. Course it was seasonal, but we MADE some money during the season. It was also hard work, but fun when we had our boys helping us. Now they're grown and off to do their own thing. "Nuff Said"