PDA

View Full Version : Finishing project

bobreda
06-25-2006, 05:33 PM
how do you folks go about finishing your projects? How do you sand or smooth the grain raising effects of your finsih? I've been rubbing with the brass brush but its not as smooth as I would like.

Thanks
Bob

pkunk
06-25-2006, 06:10 PM
how do you folks go about finishing your projects? How do you sand or smooth the grain raising effects of your finsih? I've been rubbing with the brass brush but its not as smooth as I would like.

Thanks
Bob
I use dental pics and a sanding sponge.

Old Salt
06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
I spray a light coat of sanding sealer , shellac or laquor.over carving to make sanding much less work . then sand with spong fingernail files cut to shape, dental bits , fine sanding cloth . I quit using stain on wood after 30 years of doing so because of all the blotching fading an other problems it can cause. if you want walnut -use walnut not stained pine . the savings in stain will pay the cost differance between pine and walnut or cherry. I know it is hard to spray lacquor in a small shop but many other products will give you a good finish too. ck out Wood mag issue 170 june & July for a pro,s secrets for wooking with cheery 'my favorate carveing wood" . Hope this helps.

Ron Baird
06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Try different woods some carve better than others and require less sanding than others. Maple and Birch are good if done on best setting. Teak, Red Oak and Red Cedar are bad.
Ron Baird :D

Ron Baird
06-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Try different woods some carve better than others and require less sanding than others. Maple and Birch are good if done on best setting. Teak, Red Oak and Red Cedar are bad.
Ron Baird :D