PDA

View Full Version : Upside-down storage?

hogiewan
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I really like this idea, but I am wary of storing the CW upside-down

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/3150

what do you think?

dbfletcher
12-15-2009, 09:59 AM

what do you think?

I have both my machines mounted on Delta portable miter saw stands.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-36-136-Universal-Miter-Stand/dp/B0009WFYLY

It doesnt invert them when folded up, but they are on there side. So far I havnt run in to any issues. I like these stands becuase they have built in extention rollers.... but I admit.... they are a bit on the pricey side.

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I've actually seen a design like that (I think from Wood Mag) where the top is actually 3 sided (or 3 topped?) in a triangle shape so you can have three tools, one being used, the other two underneath. I always wanted to build one, never got to it.

You may be right re the CW being upside down, would surely allow all of the sawdust that's hiding to get into the important stuff.

hogiewan
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I was thinking of building 3 similar carts. One would hold the CW and the flip-top design would give me another/more workspace. The other 2 would likely be identical and would allow outfeed for the CW of both sides or I could put them together for a workbench. With the flip-top, I could put all three together for a large work surface or I might need the outfeed stands slightly lower.

hogiewan
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
You may be right re the CW being upside down, would surely allow all of the sawdust that's hiding to get into the important stuff.

That was my concern. I'll probably go with a stationary top.

will george
12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Not a direct answer to your question. However, I do have my Dewalt surface planner mounted that way. The mounting tabs (frame bolt holes/edges) are much thicker. They are hollow but the metal is ALOT deeper so less likely to snap?

I would think that the CW tabs are a bit thin for doing this. I am sure thay are OK for just holding the machine from sliding around on a flat surface. BUT then again they may be stronger than they look. Maybe a frame of some type around the base so it will not move in any direction and some 'fillers' of epoxy inside the 'tabs'?

I have to say that flipping over that planner is a bit harder than I thought it would be. I always think the whole thing will tip over. My planner is on a cart with casters. The cart is only about 2 inches wider on each side than my planner. A wider cart would have been a MUCH better idea when I made it. I only use my planner about twice a month so I do not have to do it often.

If on a large cabinet or bench, AND, the CW tabs are strong enough it should work. I would strongly suggest that you make your mechanics so it is impossible to go over-center while you try to lock it in place in the upright position. You will be holding the machine with one hand while 'trying' to lock it with the other hand. I finally made my 'locking device' spring loaded so I could hold the machine with both hands. I would also suggest that the base material be a torsion frame to keep your machine frame from twisting in any manner.

Second suggestion... Why not just call the CW staff and ask them if they think the frame tabs will 'do the job' if the machine hangs upside down?

Just my thoughts. Call the CW staff!

bjbethke
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM

what do you think?
I think you would have lots of problem with your "CLOSE COVER SWITCHES" That cover is held on with two small plastic clips. Mine failed with in two years with normal use. You would need to tape down that cover each time you flipped it.

Chief
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
BJ,

I think a bungee cord or two would solve that problem.

Chief

want2b
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Y not, as far as the dust being an issue, a vacumming prior to use should take care of it and unless you really blow it out after each use the flip may actually help with cleaning. Guess that's another one of those issues that are based on ones perspective.
Rick H.

twiceretired
12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

what do you think?

I would be very Leery of the mounting tabs. I don’t think they will hold up under the weight. The top is made of the same material and I cracked one by just tightening the bolt on the post.

Digitalwoodshop
12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I am thinking the same thing.... The Mounting Tabs were designed to prevent lateral movement of the machine sitting on a table or cart.

I don't believe the tabs will support the weight of the machine up side down. That would be an expensive drop... Flex Shaft, Z Truck, plastic clear cover and black top cover.... Could snap the Y bearings too....

Take a 97 pound sledge hammer and hit the top of the flex shaft driving it down into the Z Truck and see what happens.... On second thought... Lets... NOT...

Reminds me of High School Shop class... A guy building a model airplane had a .060 Motor.... He wanted to start it in the shop... Put a 2 x 4 wood block in the vice and Really REALLY REALLY cranked the vice tight.... Then used four 1/2 inch long screws to hold the motor to the 2 x 4..... BRASS Screws..... Well that lasted about 20 seconds at full power and the motor broke the screws and sailed through the Wood Shop at lightning speed..... Same guy who offered to get a Radiator for the Shop V8 Engine class.... They told him it needed to be a "Covair Radiator" to work.... His dad had a Scrap yard.... Came back the next day.... "Very funny guys".... The Covair is AIR COOLED....

It's the Epoxy Doming fumes..... Makes me silly....:)

AL