PDA

View Full Version : center line question

coyoteugly543
12-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Does centerline automatic pick out the bit that it needs? Thank you Rick

dbfletcher
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Im pretty sure it always defaults to the 90 degree bit, but you can change it to the 60 degree with the select bit icon.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
12-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Centerline defaults to the 90 degree bit. However, you may select the 60 degree bit (which is my bit of choice).

The 60 degree bit gives you a narrower opening at the surface of the carve. I like that better than the wide carve of the 90 degree bit.
I, also, set my spacing (on the Font screen) to about a 12.
AskBud

coyoteugly543
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
ok thank you for a quick reply. I'll be trying a 60 degree bit. Rick

Ike
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Rick, a 60 degree bit makes a nicer cut for script and thin fonts. For your bold and larger letters stick with the 90 degree. For your spacing 12 is not enough space for all script font and the letters connect. I play it safe by going with around 25. I know it is twice the space but it is only noticeable by certain fonts not touching. With the rest it looks fine! Play around with the spacing and boldness, the wider fonts look better with fewer passes so that is where a 90 degree bit works best. For the fine script type the 60 degree is best.

Remember the lesser space number the closer the letters are together. I don't know the exact measurement for each number, but 20 to 25 has worked for all centerline fonts for me without letters running together.

Ike

coyoteugly543
12-15-2009, 08:37 AM
this is what i been trying to make .bikepayer.

Lin
12-15-2009, 09:28 AM
You need to retake a look at the text on your MPC file. I believe the word "journey" is spelled incorrectly on the file. (you have it spelled "journy") Just a heads up from someone who has carved a sign with a word misspelled twice....
Lin

AskBud
12-15-2009, 09:31 AM
this is what i been trying to make .bikepayer.

Coyote,
I took some liberties. I hope this helps you.
I rotated both the Pattern and the Text 90 degrees.
I changed your Text Bit to the 60 degree bit, rather than your 90 degree bit.
I made the Spacing 14, removed the BOLD, and changed the Font to Times New Roman.
I then enlarged the board/design th 11.25" wide and 22" long. This allowed me to grow the Text so it is more readable.
AskBud

cnsranch
12-15-2009, 09:32 AM
That's really beautiful...

Double check your spelling, and the "caps" at the beginning of each line (journey's spelled wrong).

I'd run a test piece without the logo before using your "good" wood - I'm concerned that the text is too small.

I will say that when I first got my machine, I didn't have any v bits, so while fooling around, I carved some centerline text with the carving bit (even though I told the machine I was using a 90 v). It really looked pretty good - I'd think about a test with the carving bit, too.

dbfletcher
12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
That's really beautiful...

Double check your spelling, and the "caps" at the beginning of each line (journey's spelled wrong).

I'd run a test piece without the logo before using your "good" wood - I'm concerned that the text is too small.

I will say that when I first got my machine, I didn't have any v bits, so while fooling around, I carved some centerline text with the carving bit (even though I told the machine I was using a 90 v). It really looked pretty good - I'd think about a test with the carving bit, too.

I've done small text with carving bit as well. I also was fairly happy with the results. I have purchased a 22.5 degree v-bit for small text that I use now.... but the carving bit was passable.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
12-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I edited the Biker Prayer MPC spelling.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=114957&postcount=8

Ike
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I've done small text with carving bit as well. I also was fairly happy with the results. I have purchased a 22.5 degree v-bit for small text that I use now.... but the carving bit was passable.

Doug Fletcher
Doug I too have a 22.5 degree v bit and it does work great with smaller fonts! Plus I still go with wider spacing around 20 too close is hard to read for me. Not to mention you can use the font you want in bold! Even with a 60 degree bit wider spacing looks better I think! Plus always use spell check with my hand laid out and routed signs I have been known to mis-spell a word! I get it in my head and when laid out looks good! So spell check is a valuable assets!

Shoot what do I know I have only been making signs for 30 years! ;)

Ike

Dan Frecks
12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi Cayote,
We carve almost exclusively in centerline for our applications. It does indeed default to 60.

As a rule of thumb I would say that if the line on your image or text is small and very thin choose the 60. If the area (path) you want to carve is wide or represented by thick black lines use the 90. To make the line/path wider the bit goes into the materal further in general so if you have an image with lots of wide black areas the 90 will not have to go as deep to do the carve and you won't get multiple lines in the valleys of the carve region.

That is what works best for us.

Dan

AskBud
12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi Cayote,
We carve almost exclusively in centerline for our applications. It does indeed default to 60.

As a rule of thumb I would say that if the line on your image or text is small and very thin choose the 60. If the area (path) you want to carve is wide or represented by thick black lines use the 90. To make the line/path wider the bit goes into the materal further in general so if you have an image with lots of wide black areas the 90 will not have to go as deep to do the carve and you won't get multiple lines in the valleys of the carve region.

That is what works best for us.

Dan

Hi Dan,
Are you sure about the default bit for Centerline? Mine always defaults to the 90 degree bit. Did you find an option to change the default? If I go to an MPC that I have selected the 60 degree bit, it will hold that choice, but if I bring up a new project the Centerline default returns to the 90 degree bit.
AskBud

dbfletcher
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi Dan,
Are you sure about the default bit for Centerline? Mine always defaults to the 90 degree bit. Did you find an option to change the default? If I go to an MPC that I have selected the 60 degree bit, it will hold that choice, but if I bring up a new project the Centerline default returns to the 90 degree bit.
AskBud

Ditto for me. I just checked again... it always defaults to 90 for centerline.

Doug Fletcher