PDA

View Full Version : Quick Chuck problems

Baron Richard
12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I had to replace the Quick Chuck and ordered a replacement on 10/27 because the set screw inside finally worked it way loose and came out in the middle of a project... Due to other failures on the machine (Cut motor ate one of the brushes on 11/4 and the flex shaft melted through on 11/20) I have less than 5 hours on the new chuck.

I have noticed on the last 4 carving attempts that the carving bits have been starting to wobble and when I take them out of the chuck the top edge of the bevel has been dimpled.

I read up on known issues with the chuck here, bought a new electric toothbrush to try cleaning the chuck and some graphite lube to make sure everything is working smoothly.

Yesterday I installed a carving bit in a brand new adapter and made sure everthing was seated and there was no play at all in the chuck assembly.

In only 20 minutes I noticed that the project was starting to get a little fuzzy and the bit looked like it was wobbling again. I stopped the project and after some persuasion, removed the bit to see this.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Or did I get a dodgy Quick Chuck?

I'm not really new on this machine, I have almost 320 cut hours and have made literally hundreds of carvings, but I'm no stranger to problems with the machine. The chuck I replace was my 2nd with more than a hundred hours on it and this was my 2nd flex shaft. I have replaced just about every component of this machine other than the feed belt gears and the keypad.

Richard

Canned response from LHR Support:

>If your quick change starts to wobble while carving you will need to check the quick
>change turn power off Then check the qc from the outer of the jacket wiggle the outside
>to see if it's bad bearings on the spindle or just need to check the adapter of the bit make
>sure it's not damage insert it into the quick change then try to wiggle the bit from the tip
>to see if it moves it should be rock hard solid that's how you will determine what parts you
>will need to replace

And when I sent back a reply pointing out that I had addressed all these points in my first message and asking if the replacement chuck was warranted...

>Quick change aren’t warranty parts there consumable parts

So, caveat emptor... apparently when you buy a new part from LHR to fix your machine, there is no guarantee that the part is in a functional condition.

AskBud
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I would tell this same story to LHR and ask/insist that a replacement chuck be provided at no cost.
AskBud

Frederick_P
12-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Let me be the first of many who will tell you that the QC is probably the most problematic component of the machine. IMHO I think you should stop wasting valuable wood and just get the Rock Chuck, your life will be much less stressful and your carvings much better. Plus, the reduced stress and vibration on the machine will probably add life to the other components as well.

hess
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Let me be the first of many who will tell you that the QC is probably the most problematic component of the machine. IMHO I think you should stop wasting valuable wood and just get the Rock Chuck, your life will be much less stressful and your carvings much better. Plus, the reduced stress and vibration on the machine will probably add life to the other components as well.
spend the $ get a rock and you will never see that dimple again
250 hr since my last rock change out runnin each day no problems yep now I jinked myself:rolleyes:

twiceretired
12-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Are we close to seeing the Lovchuck? I’d like LHR’s response on this.

Frederick_P
12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Are we close to seeing the Lovchuck? I’d like LHR’s response on this.

I personally don't care about the LoveChuck because I feel that Ron Justice deserves my loyalty for saving me and probably hundreds of others from chucking their machine in the scrap bin. LHR also owes him a huge debt of gratitude for if it were not for Ron Justice, they would have a LOT more unhappy users and a resulting damaged reputation that would be hard to repair.

If LHR had any kahoonahs (spelling?) they would have dumped the QC, admitted it was a horrible mistake and bought a license from Ron to supply every machine with a Rock Chuck from here on out. It has been well tested by many users, has a great reputation and enthusiastic endorsement of the community.

In my humble opinion, they owe it to him!

twiceretired
12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I personally don't care about the LoveChuck because I feel that Ron Justice deserves my loyalty for saving me and probably hundreds of others from chucking their machine in the scrap bin. LHR also owes him a huge debt of gratitude for if it were not for Ron Justice, they would have a LOT more unhappy users and a resulting damaged reputation that would be hard to repair.

If LHR had any kahoonahs (spelling?) they would have dumped the QC, admitted it was a horrible mistake and bought a license from Ron to supply every machine with a Rock Chuck from here on out. It has been well tested by many users, has a great reputation and enthusiastic endorsement of the community.

I agree, I'd just like them to do something for future users.

PCW
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Frederick,

I just want to let you know that I think your avatar is great. You know I have looked at it many times and have not saw the full beauty in it till recently.

hess
12-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Yep you go girl!! Im 7 hrs in to a 14 hr carve I think i can I think I can damg right I can I got a rock

Hey Fred I love your site I try to tell them all the time it is all in the presentation

WRW
12-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi Richard
I posted these comments an hour ago in response to the "MoneyPit thread" but I feel it fits this thread as well.
The facts as I know them.
In the first 80 hours on my Carvewright I blew up 2 QC chucks. I understand that the QC was to stand for Quick Change (A great concept in theory) however as they would clog up with sawdust during a carve, they would often jam and take several minutes to work lose. The Rock chuck changes in seconds every time ( as long as you keep the notch in the bit away from the bolt that tightens the Rock).
When I was running the QC I would measure the temperature of the bend in the flex shaft on a regular basis at the same point in the care each time to ensure it did not over heat, and if need be stop the carve for a while to let it cool. After the install of the Rock Chuck the flex shaft measure 20 degrees less at the same spot in the shaft at the same time in the carve. (Down side of that is less heat in the workshop during the winter LOL)
One last point, Noise, with the QC I knew if the carver was still working as I walked up to my workshop as it was louder then the other equipment running. Now I have to be in the shop door to know if the carver is still carving as the dust collection is louder then the Rock.
220 Hours + on carver now and I no longer need to use my laser thermometer on the flex shaft.
Just my 2 cents.
Happy Carving and Have a Great Holiday Season

PS - If you have not set up a dust collection in side your CarveWright yet you may benifit from a look at Fredericks post on his setup. (Works Great) I am sure others in the forum work great as well, however I have seen Fredericks in action and modeld mine after it. You can pretty much build it all with wats in your shop already. Just pull up posts by Frederick and you will find a diagram with explinations.
Thanks again Fredirick.

Frederick_P
12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Richard,
I am happy to hear that you got your dust collection system up and running. I am sure that if others did the same they would have a LOT less problems with their machine.

The Rock rocks!!! Thanks Ron for providing us all with this great addition, the good service and the fair price. Every business could learn from your model.

Thanks also for the kudos I have received from other members. I am feeling more a part of a community all the time! OK, now let's all join together for a huge group hug! Who knows the words to "Koombaiya"?

Baron Richard
12-15-2009, 09:12 PM
>If your quick change starts to wobble while carving you will need to check the quick
>change turn power off Then check the qc from the outer of the jacket wiggle the outside
>to see if it's bad bearings on the spindle or just need to check the adapter of the bit make
>sure it's not damage insert it into the quick change then try to wiggle the bit from the tip
>to see if it moves it should be rock hard solid that's how you will determine what parts you
>will need to replace

And when I sent back a reply pointing out that I had addressed all these points in my message and asking if the replacement chuck was warranted...

>Quick change aren’t warranty parts there consumable parts

So, caveat emptor... apparently when you buy a new part from LHR to fix your machine, there is no guarantee that the part is in a functional condition.