PDA

View Full Version : If It Weren't For Bad Luck....

Griz64
12-12-2009, 01:57 AM
...Then I would be a member of the 10 hour club. I have a sign that I am making that is round and has a diameter of 24 inches. Obviously I had to do this project in sections. When I loaded the more detailed section of the project the time it would take to complete showed 9:58:43. I thought to myself-excellent I am in the 10 hour club because my machine always goes over what the estimated time is. When the project shut off and the head raised back to the home position I looked on the display and it read.....wait for it.....wait..........9:59:58. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. can you believe it? I missed it by 2 lousy seconds. Oh well I have another big project due in a few weeks that has even more detail so I am guessing I will make it into the club on it. I just had to share because I had a hard time believing it myself.

Ike
12-12-2009, 12:51 PM
...Then I would be a member of the 10 hour club. I have a sign that I am making that is round and has a diameter of 24 inches. Obviously I had to do this project in sections. When I loaded the more detailed section of the project the time it would take to complete showed 9:58:43. I thought to myself-excellent I am in the 10 hour club because my machine always goes over what the estimated time is. When the project shut off and the head raised back to the home position I looked on the display and it read.....wait for it.....wait..........9:59:58. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. can you believe it? I missed it by 2 lousy seconds. Oh well I have another big project due in a few weeks that has even more detail so I am guessing I will make it into the club on it. I just had to share because I had a hard time believing it myself.

Griz, lol you had me worried I thought OH NO what happen? If that is the problem is being off by 2 seconds then that is the best bad luck I have seen in the forum!!:mrgreen:

Lol myself I avoid long carves if I can, but now that I know it is a badge of honor I need to give it a try!!!

Ike

geekviking
12-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I thought you were going to say something seriously went wrong with your project! (thank God it didn't :))
My last carve was 19 hrs 23 min, so I almost made it into the 20 hr club, huh?
Oh, by the way, my machine is not new, and it's purring like a champ after a 19 hour carve, for those of you who think this machine is wimpy, THINK AGAIN!
Oh, also, I don't know how it would have held up without my ROCK chuck, anyone carve 19 hrs straight with a QC yet? :cool:

Griz64
12-13-2009, 01:20 AM
I would love to see what you carved for 19 solid hours. I cant even imagine what could possibly take that long. Curious minds want to see.

wasacop75
12-13-2009, 02:55 PM
While i dont have a 20 hour carve time, i do have an 11 1/2 hour carve. It was a plaque for my inlaws for thier 50th Wedding anniversary... And i dont even like them. (dont tell the loml.)

And i do not have the rock as of yet. will wait till the qc goes out and then get one...Or Santa gets me one.

geekviking
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Been away to Mexico for Christmas! :)

Anyhoo, here's the project, thank you to whoever posted the pattern originally, it comes out AWESOME! I did a lot of height adjustments to the original, if anyone wants my version, just ask. :) This is it straight out of the CW, no sanding yet, and I'll warn you, it will carve 1/10 or so below the board (mine etched my sled about that much :) ) The DVD in one pic is to show scale.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and here's to a HAPPY NEW YEAR! :cool:

Kenm810
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Hey GV,

Nice Carving, --- and lots of it, Looks like ya might've ended up with more of the Project
Board in the dust and chip collector than you'll have to put a finish on. :razz:

rjustice
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Geekviking,

Very nice!...

Happy New Year!

Ron

Chief
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
geek,

Please post your version to the forum. I'm interested and I'm sure others will be also.

Chief

chebytrk
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
geek,

Please post your version to the forum. I'm interested and I'm sure others will be also.

Chief

Yes Sir...... definately interested.

TIMCOSBY
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I thought you were going to say something seriously went wrong with your project! (thank God it didn't :))
My last carve was 19 hrs 23 min, so I almost made it into the 20 hr club, huh?
Oh, by the way, my machine is not new, and it's purring like a champ after a 19 hour carve, for those of you who think this machine is wimpy, THINK AGAIN!
Oh, also, I don't know how it would have held up without my ROCK chuck, anyone carve 19 hrs straight with a QC yet? :cool:

with the qc. some qc's are out of balance bad some are not goes back to china i think.

Griz64
01-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Holy cow that is a BEAUTIFUL piece of work. Something to be very proud of....WOW.

Eagle Hollow
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Outstanding my Norwegian friend!
Thanks for sharing. That's one I'll have to carve.

geekviking
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Had to find the file amongst my 3 computers... :)
Remember to make sure your "NAME" touches the bottom underline so it has something to be connected to. Also check the board settings, mine was about .80 thick, you'll probably need to make adjustments to it and the "rectangle 4" depth in your carving list. Any questions, drop me a line. It said 18:46 on Optimal, but it really ran about 19:20, maybe for the vacuum breaks. :cool:

cnsranch
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Geek - that is so cool - nice job.

geekviking
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey GV,

Nice Carving, --- and lots of it, Looks like ya might've ended up with more of the Project
Board in the dust and chip collector than you'll have to put a finish on. :razz:

Boy, you aren't kidding! I kinda feel bad that the rest of the board had to be disintegrated to sawdust, but the finished result really is beautiful!

Chief
01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Geek,

Simply BEAUTIFUL. I put my Viking name (Neeld) in the pattern and it looks like it was designed just for me. LMAO

Capt Bruce
01-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Simply magnificent Sir. Thank you for sharing your work.
Capt Bruce