PDA

View Full Version : tring to get 3d from 2d pic

Rapidroy
12-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi All
Is there a way to get 3d carving from a 2d picture? OK I got this hot air balloon pic that I would like to have it stand out more with more of a rounded shape's on the pleats. I was thinking STL would do it but I havent got it yet. And can you import pictures in STL?

robbrigg2
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi All
Is there a way to get 3d carving from a 2d picture? OK I got this hot air balloon pic that I would like to have it stand out more with more of a rounded shape's on the pleats. I was thinking STL would do it but I havent got it yet. And can you import pictures in STL?

Roy, there is a way to get 2.5-d from a picture.. I have done it... It starts with following the Depth of Field process for Photoshop (I'm sure other programs have something similar).

If you use Photoshop follow this tutorial with your picture and I think you will be pleased with your results.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/depth-of-field/page-4.php

jpaluck
12-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi All

Roy,

No you really cant get a 2d picture to 3d/2.5D. The reason is a picture contains pixels which have no depth information or z axis. You can't import a picture or convert it to say a png or tiff jpeg etc into an stl file. The stl format is a 3d format. As far as the tricks in photoshop like rob mentioned I have no idea about a lot of other people here do.

dbfletcher
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Roy,

No you really cant get a 2d picture to 3d/2.5D. The reason is a picture contains pixels which have no depth information or z axis. You can't import a picture or convert it to say a png or tiff jpeg etc into an stl file. The stl format is a 3d format. As far as the tricks in photoshop like rob mentioned I have no idea about a lot of other people here do.

I would say go ahead and try Rob's suggestion... i have used it on a few images with very poor results. Not terrible suprising though since the article is meant for depth of field (what should be in sharp focus and what should not be) adjustments and not depth/height maps. I think Rob managed to get lucky and pick one image where the results were not terrible... but even in his Joker image, the reults doesnt really look that 3d-ish (or even 2.5d) to me. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And you risk nothing but trying it on your particular image so if you have the tools, I say go for it.

This is one area where the human brain still exceeds the capabiitys of most computers. We can easily look at your 2-d balloon picture and "see" how the 3-d balloon looks. There is not really any information in that 2-d photo to allow the computer to create the missing dimension.

Good luck and please post your results!

Doug Fletcher

www.go3d.us
12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
To make an stl from an image require 3d modeling process which require a lots of work manually. Simply save or convert an image into stl is impossible.

robbrigg2
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi All

Roy, Lets put it to a little test.... send me the picture and lets see if I can get the results you are after... robbrigg2@aol.com

PCW
12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Rob,

I really admire your attitude and you certainly try to live by your signature.

"Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish."

robbrigg2
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Rob,

I really admire your attitude and you certainly try to live by your signature.

"Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish."

Well thank you... I really love your contributions... you make awesome patterns! Thanks for all you do!

James RS
12-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi All

Could part of this picture be vectorized and say taken into artcam or rhino or corel add the 3d elements then overlay it on the original, probally mask out the balloon in the original

Pratyeka
12-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Could part of this picture be vectorized and say taken into artcam or rhino or corel add the 3d elements then overlay it on the original, probally mask out the balloon in the original

Easy to do in artcam, no need to vectorize.

Rapidroy
12-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi Rob
I sent the picture, check your email