PDA

View Full Version : Designer won't open after freezing WTH!

Ike
12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Yesterday I was looking at smarder tv stand mpc and all of a sudden it froze. Ok then I tried to open it again and got as far as the it showing the opening box. I tried a system restore and removing and installing the designer. Called LHR and was sent instructions how to fix and the first statement was the designer is not compatible with Window Vista!

So I followed the instructions removed designer and downloaded the latest version to the desk top then ran as administrator and still nothing. Funny how it has only effected my designer? Boy I hope it isn't a virus, if it is not funny at all!

I hope I am the only one having issues! I fear a system recovery is going to happen?

Ike

hess
12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Yesterday I was looking at smarder tv stand mpc and all of a sudden it froze. Ok then I tried to open it again and got as far as the it showing the opening box. I tried a system restore and removing and installing the designer. Called LHR and was sent instructions how to fix and the first statement was the designer is not compatible with Window Vista!

So I followed the instructions removed designer and downloaded the latest version to the desk top then ran as administrator and still nothing. Funny how it has only effected my designer? Boy I hope it isn't a virus, if it is not funny at all!

I hope I am the only one having issues! I fear a system recovery is going to happen?

Ike

smae here a few months back LHR was no help because of vista HP was a real bummer as I lost all my stuff even though I did the back up as told lost all pats pic and music
then would not restart had to do a sys wipe to factory setting

cant tell you even now how pissed I get when I think of how much I paid for the stuff that was loss. Now here we are to win 7 and they say it runs fine but bet when it crashes you will get the same thing it was intended to run on XP..

I did seem to center the problem on something in my contacts when I attempt to move them over CW locked right up so move just what/who i needed and left it alone what ever you do make sure your back up is really there i did a Norton and a hp some i have been able to open a single file at a time and load it but man is that a pita or what

Ike
12-10-2009, 08:13 PM
smae here a few months back LHR was no help because of vista HP was a real bummer as I lost all my stuff even though I did the back up as told lost all pats pic and music
then would not restart had to do a sys wipe to factory setting

cant tell you even now how pissed I get when I think of how much I paid for the stuff that was loss. Now here we are to win 7 and they say it runs fine but bet when it crashes you will get the same thing it was intended to run on XP..

I did seem to center the problem on something in my contacts when I attempt to move them over CW locked right up so move just what/who i needed and left it alone what ever you do make sure your back up is really there i did a Norton and a hp some i have been able to open a single file at a time and load it but man is that a pita or what

But why?????????????? I have had this computer for over 2 years and all of a sudden the designer stops working, it doesn't make sense? The only thing affected is the designer and nothing else. I can open everything else, but the strange thing is my system restore didn't work and I tried it several times, different dates and I get an error.

THIS SUCKS!

www.go3d.us
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Have you tried uninstall and also delete the cw folder both in programs folder and in documents and settings folder? Try that and reinstall and see if it run.

Ike
12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Have you tried uninstall and also delete the cw folder both in programs folder and in documents and settings folder? Try that and reinstall and see if it run.

Yep I went into programs and deleted it, but are you talking about all my mpc or is there a designated file? Plus where is the setting folder?

I was getting MWDS .21 sp1 error or something like that I know it ended in sp1

Ike

SteveEJ
12-10-2009, 10:25 PM
It has to be something in the registry then. Have you run any programs that tweaked your registry? I would uninstall, delete all designer files on the computer, open regedit and 'Find' anything with designer settings in it, reboot and install it again. If that doesn't fix it then I am at a loss. Word of caution: Playing with the registry can be dangerous. Do this at your own risk!

robbrigg2
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Yep I went into programs and deleted it, but are you talking about all my mpc or is there a designated file? Plus where is the setting folder?

Ike

Have you tried using the restore point utility?

hess
12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Have you tried using the restore point utility?

that RP thing is a pos it has never once been able to correct anything for me.
Funny how many of us lose this program. Like I say Vista is not the intended program only XP so wonder if they will ever get there.

Sorry dude I tried everything that CW and HP said to do (that I could understand) with hp side. Queens English and all.

Wish you luck

hess
12-10-2009, 11:37 PM
It has to be something in the registry then. Have you run any programs that tweaked your registry? I would uninstall, delete all designer files on the computer, open regedit and 'Find' anything with designer settings in it, reboot and install it again. If that doesn't fix it then I am at a loss. Word of caution: Playing with the registry can be dangerous. Do this at your own risk!
cuss me Ike i need to rip your thread for a min

HEY STEVE WHERE THE HEL YOU BEEN

I feel like a wife you go away and dont check in. what you got another family somewhere?:roll:

Chief
12-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Ike,

Somehow that doesn't make sense. There are plenty of guys on this forum who love Windows 7 and Windows 7 is Vista with most of the bugs removed. If LHR gives you that statement again, ask why it's not compatible when so many are using Windows 7.

Chief

robbrigg2
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
that RP thing is a pos it has never once been able to correct anything for me.
Funny how many of us lose this program. Like I say Vista is not the intended program only XP so wonder if they will ever get there.

Sorry dude I tried everything that CW and HP said to do (that I could understand) with hp side. Queens English and all.

Wish you luck

If there are changes to the registry the restore point will roll your system back in time and correct some of these... but Vista is another bug all together... I was able to do this to get hat conflicker off of my system once.

Chief
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Ike,

The first thing you want to do is find where the Pattern Editor is saving your files and then back them up on a different drive if you have one. Some programs, when installed, will write over the previous folders, sometimes deleting the files. Anytime you suspect a software problem, back up your data files.

Chief

hess
12-10-2009, 11:56 PM
If there are changes to the registry the restore point will roll your system back in time and correct some of these... but Vista is another bug all together... I was able to do this to get hat conflicker off of my system once.

Vista sucks but dont tell em I said so

got 7 coming on one new laptop

hey chief where the heck does the backup files go when they are placed on dicks i got 7 disks backed up but you cant see them when you load em

www.go3d.us
12-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Vista sucks but dont tell em I said so

got 7 coming on one new laptop

hey chief where the heck does the backup files go when they are placed on dicks i got 7 disks backed up but you cant see them when you load em

Is it cd, cd-rw or dvd and dvd-rw disks. When you use a software program to back up your files or just drag and drop? When you backed up files on a disk, did you closed(finalized) the disk or leave it open (open section)? Select the right iso? these setting effect the reading of the disk at time of burning.

Jeff_Birt
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think a problem like this is specific to the underlying OS or a single piece of software. If an important sector on your hard-drive goes bad (scrambles the data), or any number of other things then you can have problems. If your using a certain program at the time the glitch happens it can write garbage over some important settings.

The most important tool you have to recover from situations like this is to back up your computer. I use Windows Homer Server, it only costs about $100 combined with IDrive (off-site backup).

I installed Windows Home Server on my old desktop machine and have every computer in my house automatically back up to it. The backup operation is invisible to the user, so you don't have to quit using the machine to back it up. It also allows you to easily share files, photos, movies, printers, etc among all your computers.

I have an IDrive account, which is only about $50/year, that automatically backs up all my important data from my Windows Homer Server to their data centers. Again, very easy to set up and a great bargain.

My daughters computer went crazy a few months ago and I was able to just pop in the Windows Home Server restore CD, log into my server and tell it to restore the computer. In about 1/2 hour it was back to normal!

hess
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't think a problem like this is specific to the underlying OS or a single piece of software. If an important sector on your hard-drive goes bad (scrambles the data), or any number of other things then you can have problems. If your using a certain program at the time the glitch happens it can write garbage over some important settings.

The most important tool you have to recover from situations like this is to back up your computer. I use Windows Homer Server, it only costs about $100 combined with IDrive (off-site backup).

I installed Windows Home Server on my old desktop machine and have every computer in my house automatically back up to it. The backup operation is invisible to the user, so you don't have to quit using the machine to back it up. It also allows you to easily share files, photos, movies, printers, etc among all your computers.

I have an IDrive account, which is only about $50/year, that automatically backs up all my important data from my Windows Homer Server to their data centers. Again, very easy to set up and a great bargain.

My daughters computer went crazy a few months ago and I was able to just pop in the Windows Home Server restore CD, log into my server and tell it to restore the computer. In about 1/2 hour it was back to normal!

hey jeff where did you get that
Sounds like it would be a good thing
I was going to just ad an external drive but that don't really help unless you make sure you do the backups

hess
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Is it cd, cd-rw or dvd and dvd-rw disks. When you use a software program to back up your files or just drag and drop? When you backed up files on a disk, did you closed(finalized) the disk or leave it open (open section)? Select the right iso? these setting effect the reading of the disk at time of burning.
they are dvd r I can see the files but they will not allow you to open them. they were made by Nortons 360 even had it attempt to reinstall them it just Errors

www.go3d.us
12-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Ike

Documents and settings folder located in c: drive. There is not much in there except for the favorite.mpc file.

www.go3d.us
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
they are dvd r I can see the files but they will not allow you to open them. they were made by Nortons 360 even had it attempt to reinstall them it just Errors

What was the errors say when you open the file?

The easy way to back up your data is an external usb hard drive bus-powered. It came with software to automatic back up and synchronize your files and folder.

Ike
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Documents and settings folder located in c: drive. There is not much in there except for the favorite.mpc file.

HT, you did it! I deleted everything associated with the CW files installed again and it opened! The bummer is I lost all my save patterns in the library. The cool thing is I have them saved in my documents. Plus I do have an external hard drive I have saved patterns.

Better then needing to restore the whole computer! Might be a good thing to get rid of the patterns not used.

Thanks again HT you ROCK!

Ike

SteveEJ
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
hey jeff where did you get that
I was going to just ad an external drive but that don't really help unless you make sure you do the backups

Hess,
I have WHS as well. Like Jeff said, once it is installed on the network and the connector software is installed on each machine on the network it is automatic and easy. You can convert an older machine to WHS by purchasing the software ($100.00) and installing it. The storage on my system is 2 external USB drives (1.5 TB total). All of my laptops and devices are backed up like thermos magic, every night. I highly recommend it. Well worth the money.

Ike
12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I can't afford the extra money so I currently backing it up on my external hard drive. I just wish I didn't delete the files with my purchased patterns. I have 2 I can't get and again don't have the money to purchase the same patterns again!

Thanks again HT I am happy I am back in business! Without needing to do a system recovery Rob you asked if I tried a system restore? Yes I did and tried a few different restore points and each time it failed so I don't know what's wrong with it now?

If I could afford a new laptop I would get one or at least Windows 7!

Thank you for all for the help, I still wish I knew what cause this in the first place?

Ike

Chief
12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Hess,

Where you put the backup files isn't as important as that it's not on the original disk drive. Data can often be recovered but it's a lot of work.

I back my most important files, the ones I don't want to loose under any circumstance, from my workstation to my server. That's the expensive way. Another way is to add a hard drive to your system and hard drives are really cheap today. I have an xtra 1 terrabyte drive sitting on a shelf in case any of the RAID drives goes back. Yet another way, depending on how much you want to back up, is to use one or two of those flash cards. It's highly unlikely that you have more than 8 gig to back up so 2 of them would really give you security. Using 2, you alternate between them. With more flash cards, you'd have more security as sometimes problems don't crop up for awhile.

Last but not least is the online databanks but I wouldn't put that much faith in them unless I knew that they also backed up what they have on their servers

Chief

Chief
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Steve,

There is one drawback to using external drives........ fire is a problem. While it may be minor, IF your computer is damaged, you may lose your valuable data. You may want to store your external drive in a fireproof safe or even just another area of your house. The director of a local credit union takes the hard drive(s) home with him every night just to make sure one of the drives will survive, no matter what.

Chief

TerryT
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I can't afford the extra money so I currently backing it up on my external hard drive. I just wish I didn't delete the files with my purchased patterns. I have 2 I can't get and again don't have the money to purchase the same patterns again!

Ike

Ike,
let me know if any of them were mine. I will replace any of mine you may have purchased. I'm sure any of the other pattern vendors would replace the ones you purchased also.

Ike
12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Ike,
let me know if any of them were mine. I will replace any of mine you may have purchased. I'm sure any of the other pattern vendors would replace the ones you purchased also.

Thank you Terry that is very cool! No the two were not from you, but I really appreciate the offer that is GREAT customer service!

Ike

SteveEJ
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Terry,
Very Nice! Really a Class Act.

Chief,
Good point. I do keep redundant copies in two different locations. I don't like online data services especially for personal files.

Jeff_Birt
12-12-2009, 08:21 AM
hey jeff where did you get that (Windows Homer Server)

I got my copy of Windows Homer Server from Newegg.com. If you don't have an old PC laying around to install it on there are several companies that make nice small boxes with WHS already installed.

Chief
12-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Steve,

Given a choice, offsite is better. With even the Pentagon's computers getting hacked, there's no guarantee that the online services won't be affected. I have over 25 years of genealogy on my computer. If I lost it, it would never be replaced as I'm too damn old to start over again.

Chief

hess
12-13-2009, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE=SteveEJ;114581]Hess,
I have WHS as well. Like Jeff said, once it is installed on the network and the connector software is installed on each machine on the network it is automatic and easy. You can convert an older machine to WHS by purchasing the software ($100.00) and installing it. The storage on my system is 2 external USB drives (1.5 TB total). All of my laptops and devices are backed up like thermos magic, every night. I highly recommend it. Well worth the money.[/QUOTE

]I picked up a WD 1.5tb my book that reads all the pcs on the net and backs them up but real good with nw shit i can see all the file form home just hope it doing it jog it was 175 so that was my zmas to my self

BTW it is that time of year we wish you all good tidying and a better new year and as always form me you have come to hear let Not forget those a away not only oversea but those that have jobs that take them in harm way the police the EMs FF Nurse DRs the would does not stop on Christmas so god seep to you all and may you see you families soon

Ray and Margaret Heston
Hess and Angel Blue Knights TX XXI

will george
12-13-2009, 06:54 AM
and the first statement was the designer is not compatible with Window Vista! ???

Carvewright never told me that!

I have my software running on my Desk and Laptop. Both are Vista. One Vista Ultimate and the other Home Premium.

I have used most of the versions of the Carvewright software on both without problems. I did have a screen refresh issue on my 'big' computer but I changed from an ATI video card to a Nvidia and that solved the problem.

Ike
12-13-2009, 01:32 PM
and the first statement was the designer is not compatible with Window Vista! ???

Carvewright never told me that!

I have my software running on my Desk and Laptop. Both are Vista. One Vista Ultimate and the other Home Premium.

I have used most of the versions of the Carvewright software on both without problems. I did have a screen refresh issue on my 'big' computer but I changed from an ATI video card to a Nvidia and that solved the problem.

I deleted the e-mail, but that was the first sentence, although the designer is not compatible with windows Vista........ It instructed me remove my designer and download the latest version and save to my desk top and then run as administrator. If that didn't work contact LHR for further help!

I ended up removing all files associated to designer and lost all my save patterns and needed to import then again. I didn't lose my purchased patterns and HT was great and gave my the download for the 2 patterns I bought from him.

It really wasn't a big deal more an inconvenience that did work out to remove patterns I never used! The big picture I didn't need to do a full system recovery! I did try the system restore for an earlier date, but for some reason that failed?

Anyway everything is ok now and I am back in business!

Ike