PDA

View Full Version : Carving depth

Eagle Hollow
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
The last three projects have carved too deep. You can see the 1/8" straight cut around the perimeter of the carving. It should not have this. The carving should feather out flush with the surface. Can someone show me what's happening? I reformatted the card but that didn't fix it. I thank you in advance for any enlightenment you can push my way.

Jerry C.

Gerald Bennett
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
You can set a rectangular region on the board to remove the feathering. You can't carve above the surface so you have to lower the surface in the area of the carving. I just threw the region in quickly, you would adjust to size as needed.

Eagle Hollow
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
You can set a rectangular region on the board to remove the feathering. You can't carve above the surface so you have to lower the surface in the area of the carving. I just threw the region in quickly, you would adjust to size as needed.

Nope. I want the feathering. Just don't want the extra depth. Look at the mpc. That's what I have on four other carvings for this project. I am looking for the cause of the lower carving depth.

Thenks,
Jerry C.

PCW
12-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Jerry,

Do you remember if your pattern height was set at 300 on the others?

Eagle Hollow
12-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Jerry,

Do you remember if your pattern height was set at 300 on the others?

Yes. All are set at 300.

cnsranch
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Machine's seeing the surface of the board as being lower than it is - that's why the "straight cut around the perimeter". Got to be a problem with a touch point.

Is the bit flag coming all the way out - if it isn't, and coming out only far enough so that the edge of the bit touches the edge of the flag, instead of the end of the bit touching the center of the flag, you'll have this problem - makes the machine think the bit is shorter than it really is.