PDA

View Full Version : Circuit Boards

hogiewan
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I know this machine is not meant to cut metal, but what about the thin layer of copper to etch a circuit board? Obviously, you would need the right bit (http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/voli/store/mechmill.htm).

http://www.shef.ac.uk/content/1/c6/07/34/32/CNC%20PCB%20Milling%20Machine%20w.jpg

I was considering making a stencil for an etch-resist pen, but I would rather not deal with etching chemicals if I could cut the metal

dbfletcher
12-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I know this machine is not meant to cut metal, but what about the thin layer of copper to etch a circuit board? Obviously, you would need the right bit (http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/voli/store/mechmill.htm).

Seeing most parts arent even sealed from dust, Im thinking even if you could do it... i wouldnt want all the metal CONDUCTIVE chips flying around my machine. Sounds like a disaster in the making.

Doug Fletcher

atauer
12-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Seeing most parts arent even sealed from dust, Im thinking even if you could do it... i wouldnt want all the metal CONDUCTIVE chips flying around my machine. Sounds like a disaster in the making.

Doug Fletcher

Exactly Doug.

With the way the machine is setup, it was not meant to carve/cut any types of metals. The chips/shavings would get into the electrical components and create all types of havic (?sp). This sounds like something that maybe Al (who) should chime in on. Who knows, he may have already tried it.

Digitalwoodshop
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a 3 foot tall stack of Circuit board material and had thought of using the CW to cut wind ornaments or windmills. Using the 1/16 inch end mill would be the way to go. Looks like that picture is a Rotary Engraver better built for copper.

As for cutting the copper traces with the CW?.... Cutting away the waste material. That would be a hard project to get right... The detail is just too small.... It would need to be done as a Vector Path... I wouldn't try the Carve Region....

So the short answer is No not the right machine for the job.

I have made about a dozen circuit boards in my years and the chemicals are not that bad.

AL

Jeff_Birt
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
The machine is NOT meant to cut any type of metals or conductive material. Don't do it! I make PCBs on my Taig CNC mill all the time but NEVER would I consider using my CW for the job.

When routing PCBs the accuracy of the depth of cut is critical. It is not uncommon for commercial machine to have a presser foot to insure that the DOC remains constant. The CW, not being meant for circuit board routing, does not have an accurate enough sensing of tool height (it specs to be within 0.010" or so in Z). With PCBs you need to be within 0.0005".

Generally trace isolation is done with a 60 or 90 degree carbide 'V' bit. This type of bit has a 1/8" shank and a tip width of 0.0005". The CW is just not made to handle such a bit.

hogiewan
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
that's what I figured - thanks guys. Just sort of thinking out loud.

will george
12-15-2009, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=dbfletcher;114462]Seeing most parts arent even sealed from dust, Im thinking even if you could do it... i wouldnt want all the metal CONDUCTIVE chips flying around my machine. Sounds like a disaster in the making.

Doug Fletcher..

Sure looks like he has a suction at the bit! I have carved copper plate without any problems. I only use a very small depth. Less that 1/16 inch... Not sure about a electronic circuit board though. Resist is very thin and I think better but then again I HAVE NEVER TRIED that on the CW!