PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Bit

flamesrule
12-09-2009, 10:23 PM
K well after checking head pressure and adjusting it to get proper pressure.I ordered 1 more cutting bit (When the first one bust)i tried it and guess what it bust in the same spot i need help to figure out why this is happening.The bits are to much money to be breaking all the time.I am running the rock chuck.:confused:

robbrigg2
12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
K well after checking head pressure and adjusting it to get proper pressure.I ordered 1 more cutting bit (When the first one bust)i tried it and guess what it bust in the same spot i need help to figure out why this is happening.The bits are to much money to be breaking all the time.I am running the rock chuck.:confused:

I feel your pain.. I did the same thing.

Make sure you set the maximum cutting depth when you are doing a cut out. I normally set it at about no more then .25 sometimes even less... I've even begun making 1 or two passes and then leaving it to my new band saw. But if you don't have that option use the cut depth method...

Also, and there will be many that won't like this.. I used roto zip bits, the kind for wood, for a long time and still do. The edges are not as clean as the cutting bit but they last A LOT longer then the nice ones. I save it for important stuff. Things I can clean up with sanding I do. The bits equal about 3 to the $30 of the others.. but understand the cut out bits are by far the nices cutting they are just very brittle.

I've even used some of the rockler cut outs. They are 1/4" shank and they cut superbly but you need to keep in mind if you do this that because they are larger they can take away some of your design if you do not plan the cuts with the larger bit in mind.

Hope this helps.

fwharris
12-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Oh no not again!!!

Are you doing the cut out in one pass??
Is the board cupped or warped any??

AskBud
12-09-2009, 10:32 PM
After breaking 2 bits, I limit (set) my Max Cut Path Depth to (.250) on all cut-outs. Some wood, or paths, place too much pressure on the bit. It could also be bad contact with the Brass roller, if the bit breaks on the length of the board.
AskBud

flamesrule
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Nope it is a project its the secret key holder and it is going in three passes it made all the passes and when it got 3/4 finished thats when it broke and it is happening (both times) on the length of the board.I am just about ready to throw it out the window:mad:

fwharris
12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Nope it is a project its the secret key holder and it is going in three passes it made all the passes and when it got 3/4 finished thats when it broke and it is happening (both times) on the length of the board.I am just about ready to throw it out the window:mad:

Could the board not be tracking straight in the machine? Is it moving just a bit way from the squaring plate??

hess
12-10-2009, 02:35 AM
Could the board not be tracking straight in the machine? Is it moving just a bit way from the squaring plate??
I was cutting the Indian bust out the other nite a band new bit set is up ti cut what was left in 4 passes 3 went fine not evn a noise the 4 th went though and snapped right off you talk about one peed off ML yea bay 1st cut

I started using my crave bits to cut out then fix what I have too. snapped on a straight line no where near a turn or twist

Jeff_Birt
12-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I agree that breaking bits can get expensive really fast. Without seeing a photo of the project board with an indication of where the bit broke it is difficult to offer specific advice. The first thing I would most definitely say is don't use RotoZip bits. They are not made for CNC type work and will bend/flex and put a lot more stress on the chuck and machine.

A broken cutting bit usually comes from cut out parts breaking loose and binding against the bit or the board tipping/moving in such a way as to cause a bind. If your board is not staying under the rollers or is not supported by additional rollers if needed (i.e. longer board) then it can tip up inside the machine and break a bit.

robbrigg2
12-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I have found a source for cutting bits that would run about $25 per without the collars... If I were to get these bits would there be an interests in them?

They would be made of Carbide.

rjustice
12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Rob,
Did you know i have been selling them for that amount?

http://www.cw-parts.com/page4.html

Second item down... available in 1" length of cut and 3/4" length of cut. The 3/4 will work for most anything you do, and are stronger.

Ron

cnsranch
12-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Ron, I sure wish you made those in 1/4" shanks....

robbrigg2
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Rob,
Did you know i have been selling them for that amount?

http://www.cw-parts.com/page4.html

Second item down... available in 1" length of cut and 3/4" length of cut. The 3/4 will work for most anything you do, and are stronger.

Ron

Without trying to offend you how much is your shipping for 1 bit?

5 bits?

robbrigg2
12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Ron, I sure wish you made those in 1/4" shanks....

Mine would be in a 1/4" shank

PCW
12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I have found a source for cutting bits that would run about $25 per without the collars... If I were to get these bits would there be an interests in them?

They would be made of Carbide.

Pastor,

You have got my attention.

cnsranch
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Pastor,

You have got my attention.

Mine, too - I haven't been able to find a source for a cutting bit with anything longer than about 1/2" flute - if yours are 1", let me know!!

rjustice
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Mine would be in a 1/4" shank

Hi Rob,
No offense at all... I just wanted to make sure you knew that i had them. Shipping is a flat $11 rate no matter what, or how many you order. I am actually working on reducing my shipping charges, but that is what it has been and still is at this point. I think i will be ready to reduce it after the first of the year.
On the shank size, mine are 1/8 shanks, which i see as an advantage to those using the Rock system, as you dont have to be concerned with any flats, and you can choke up on them as much as you wish. I also have the 1/8" QC bit adapter if you wish to try these tools... the 3/4 length tools are working very well!..

Just letting you know...

Ron

robbrigg2
12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Mine, too - I haven't been able to find a source for a cutting bit with anything longer than about 1/2" flute - if yours are 1", let me know!!

They would take 4 days for me to get the first 100... I am strongly considering it if I have an outlet for the other 5 (since I seem to break about 95 per week LOL)

I just called my tool and die maker and it would be a 1" cut depth... though I know I can also get it in 3/4"