PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum

will-munny
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi all,

Im thinking of purchasing one of these machines. I am a real estate agent and can never find the perfect housewarming gift, so im thinking why not make a custom sign for the people i work with. I can also probably pick up some business from other agents who want to give a gift at closing also, so i think it will kinda pay for itself. My question really is this. If i want to make a simple 24X8 sign with lettering, a nice edge, and maybe small clip art image, how complicated, how much time will it take ETC. Thanks for your input

cnsranch
12-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Take a look at the thread here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=4921&highlight=plaques

You can do a really nice sign in a couple of hours, especially if you have the "Centerline" option. You will have to spend some time sanding and finishing your projects.

Personally, I am not a fan of using the machine to rout edges on signs, I prefer a hand-held router.

All that said, a sign doesn't have to be super fancy to impress your customers - something like their names, and address will go a long way.

robbrigg2
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi all,

Im thinking of purchasing one of these machines. I am a real estate agent and can never find the perfect housewarming gift, so im thinking why not make a custom sign for the people i work with. I can also probably pick up some business from other agents who want to give a gift at closing also, so i think it will kinda pay for itself. My question really is this. If i want to make a simple 24X8 sign with lettering, a nice edge, and maybe small clip art image, how complicated, how much time will it take ETC. Thanks for your input

A simple sign would not be hard to make at all... detailed signs are not especially hard to make either. And I think you have a very creative idea that should add a special touch. There are quick easy ways to make your own graphics, or you can buy pre-made 3 d and 2.5 d graphics for very cheap prices fromt he CW store. The only other expense would be with the wood you choose to offer. I say... go for it.

will-munny
12-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Those are very nice. Thanks for the info, im gonna go for it.

cnsranch
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Those are very nice. Thanks for the info, im gonna go for it.

Atta Boy - Welcome to the group!

Best part is, you get to write it off as a business expense!!!

Ike
12-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

Welcome to the forum!

Will I have a couple real estate ladies that buy signs from me for house warming gifts. I can tell if the market is good by how many orders I get!

If you are busy it will pay for it's self quick! Not only you can make simple signs, but other things from clocks, boxes artwork the sky is the limit!

I have a little video on trim making
Part 1 www.youtube.com/watch?v=19fS0XOCsWw
Part 2 www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SA7cvDf3gE I have a sign shop and I am always willing to help so PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.

First shop around you can find the best prices on new and reconditioned CC/CW Then read up on the operation of the machine and the upkeep and design methods. Knowing all this helps for a smoother operations without trouble. Then feel free to ask any question for help.

Check out the gallery to see other projects then simple signs. Here are a few I have made of 1000 examples of other members!

Again welcome and enjoy and learn learn learn before use! Just jumping in without learning will only lead to frustration!

Ike