PDA

View Full Version : Z-Truck rollers won't adjust

shotgun 6
12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm attempting to do the Michael Tyler's Classy Christmas Wreath which was a Carvebuddy project available on the CW site last year. I used it last year for a Chirstmas present for my wife and although there were a few little "head-space" problems on my account, the wreath came out beautiful. I'm trying to do two this year -- one for each of my daughters. Unfortunately, three quarters of the way into the first of six parts of the first wreath the z-truck developed fore and aft play at the bottom of the truck. I called tech support who sent me a .pdf showing how to remove and replace the z-truck as the answer to my problem. In the .pdf were instructions on tightening the right-hand rollers using a stamped 12mm wrench. I ground down a 12mm wrench so it would fit into the space between the roller and the z-truck and tightened the roller adjustment (the adjustment is on a concentric so turning it counterclockwise moved the roller toward the vertical z-truck tube. This worked fine for the next three pieces although I had to check the play every so often and had to tightened four or five times. Today I started on the last board and 20% through it didn't the machine didn't sound right so I checked it for play -- had considerable play and tried to adjust but no matter how much I turnted the adjustment bolt head it wouldn't tightened. Called tech support but the people who could help aren't in today and will call tomorrow.

Anyone had this problem or have any suggestions on how to tightened the tollers while I'm waiting. It takes over 25 hours of run time to carve the six parts (on four boards) for one wreath and Christmas is getting close -- or is the answer a new z-truck and or rollers? Note that the screws that hold the rollers in place have lock-tite and can't be removed without drilling them out -- ugh!

PCW
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
The right two bearing on the Z need to be pre-loaded. What it sounds like is the screw is to loose and not letting you get enough travel to tighten the bearing.

shotgun 6
12-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I believe you're right. Since the screw won't turn I guess I'll have to drill it out and reset the roller. The top one seems secure in its place -- its just the bottom one that is away from the tube. One thing I noticed is that the flexible shaft places constant backpressure on the top of the z-truck which in turn places constant out-pressure on the bottom of the z-truck since the top roller is, in essence, a pivot point. Probably didn't cause my problem but might have an affect over time.

Thanks for the response. Have a blessed Christmas and a great, wood-carving 2010.

Digitalwoodshop
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I have posted lots of pictures and detail about adjusting the bearings. Do a search using the " " and post started by ME...

I am very busy or I would do it again, I have posted detail pictures and instructions a few times in the past.

AL

shotgun 6
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks AL -- I found the pictures and a lot of discussion on how-to's and watch-out's. I really appreaciate your help.