PDA

View Full Version : Hit 'em hard

Chief
12-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Listers,

My wife just dumped a broken toy on my lap. I guess it's supposed to be a small drummer's band banging on a xylophone. Most of the problems can be fixed with a little glue. However, I need to create a small ball out of wood. This is an eclectic bunch so....... what wood do toy companies use for something like this? These balls are maybe 3/8" in diameter.

Chief:

fwharris
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Listers,

My wife just dumped a broken toy on my lap. I guess it's supposed to be a small drummer's band banging on a xylophone. Most of the problems can be fixed with a little glue. However, I need to create a small ball out of wood. This is an eclectic bunch so....... what wood do toy companies use for something like this? These balls are maybe 3/8" in diameter.

Chief:

Chief,

Take a look at this post. It has spheres, balls, that you might be able to see if that will work.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13438&highlight=sphere

Of course you can get wooden balls and most hobby/craft stores...

will george
12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Listers,

Chief:

I would think any local hobby shop had balls in diferent diameters..

Kenm810
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
The most common ones I've seen at Craft or Hobby Stores are Birch, or Hard Malpe.
You can buy a pack of 10 or 12 for less than a $1.00

Chief
12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks, fellas. I knew that I would get the correct answer from this mob. I wish that I could try to "carve" the balls but, until Sears makes up their mind what to do with my CC, it's just a big pile of nothing in my cellar.

I had written to Sears president and somebody from his resolution center doesn't understand English. I told him we could either exchange an "A" model for a "B" model or I would happily return the "A" model for a refund. I'll give him one more day.

Chief

PCW
12-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Chief,

If I'm not mistaking the A series = CompuCarve and B series = Carvewright.

Chief
12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
PCW,

I thought that the "B" model was a later one. From what one of the techs told me, the "B" is much better. Since LHR first sold their machine through Sears, it's possible that you're right and LHR waited to get some of the bugs out to put their brand on it.

Chief

AskBud
12-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Chief,

If I'm not mistaking the A series = CompuCarve and B series = Carvewright.
Not true. I have 2 CC units and they each begin with "B".
I've had 7 different units from Sear's. The first 2 were "A", all the others have been "B".
AskBud

Ken Massingale
12-09-2009, 05:30 AM
The most common ones I've seen at Craft or Hobby Stores are Birch, or Mard Malpe.
You can buy a pack of 10 or 12 for less than a $1.00
Walmart has wooden balls too!

PCW
12-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Not true. I have 2 CC units and they each begin with "B".
I've had 7 different units from Sear's. The first 2 were "A", all the others have been "B".
AskBud

Bud,

Thanks for clearing that up. I was going on a post from a while back where the poster asked LHR staff what the difference was and that was their answer.

I didn't think nothing of it because my Compucarve is A version and has all the newer updates and my 2 Carvewrights are B's. So it must have something to do with the date that they where manufactured.:oops::mrgreen: