PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Happens When I Flip The Switch

ColdenGirl
12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I recently bought a reconditioned unit from Sears. I've been reading boards and manuals and trying out the software. I've made a pattern and uploaded it and put the card into the carvewright. When I flip the on/off switch nothing happens. Shouldn't I hear the motor start up? I can tell you the button clicks to" off" but there is no click when I turn it "on" - should there be? I did check the contrast button but nothing shows. I tried calling Carvewright on my lunch break but after being on hold for 1/2 hr waiting to talk to someone I had to hang up and go back to work. Very poor driving conditions got me home too late to try calling again. Any suggestion on what I might check? I really don't want to send it back.:confused:

robbrigg2
12-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I recently bought a reconditioned unit from Sears. I've been reading boards and manuals and trying out the software. I've made a pattern and uploaded it and put the card into the carvewright. When I flip the on/off switch nothing happens. Shouldn't I hear the motor start up? I can tell you the button clicks to" off" but there is no click when I turn it "on" - should there be? I did check the contrast button but nothing shows. I tried calling Carvewright on my lunch break but after being on hold for 1/2 hr waiting to talk to someone I had to hang up and go back to work. Very poor driving conditions got me home too late to try calling again. Any suggestion on what I might check? I really don't want to send it back.:confused:

First thing I would check is that you have pushed the card in all the way. It will not power up if it is not.

AskBud
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
You will hear no noise when you turn the machine on.
The Key-Pad should light up and begin displaying messages rather than just blocks.
I presume that you "Formatted" the card prior to loading the project.

If you see no display (not even the blocks), it probably means you have a power problem or a loose connection somewhere.
AskBud

Ike
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM

You won't hear anything until you start a project. Like Rob said make sure the card is inserted all the way. If that doesn't work check your plug and turn it off wait a minute then turn it on again. Plus if you turn the contrast too far you won't see anything. The very least format the card and reload the project and try again.

If that doesn't work it may DOA?

Ike

ColdenGirl
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
:D Okay, I'm a doofus. I saw the heavy black cord going from the table to the outlet and assumed (yes I know what they say about people who assume) that it was for the carvewright. I just went down to try your suggestions and put up the front tray and saw the cord still wrapped on it. I didnt take it out of the box and didn't see how nicely it was stored there. (Kudos to Carvewright). I plugged it in, turned it on, and got readout on the keypad. Now I can go on to step 2 to make sure the trays are level and then I'm going to try my project. My husband and I had a good laugh. I'm just glad it's not a DOA. Thanks very much for your suggestions. I appreciate your input and you'll probably be hearing from me again. ColdenGirl :p

Ike
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Lol we all have done it! Imagine it didn't work without being plugged in!! Been there done that! I have electricity experience and it always what I check first. See if the plug came out or a breaker blown and I have been known to plug in the wrong tool!

I am so glad your CC is ok and I can't wait to see what you make! Take some time and read machine operation and maintenance. Read up on the tips of the month to help in design and learn the 7" rule pertaining to the rollers!

Feel free to ask us for help and don't hold back thinking it is a silly question! Unfortunately you will get a response trying to make you feel dumb for asking by asking you are you kidding? Just ignore them! For the most part we have all been there and most of us will answer your questions without sending you on search party!

Welcome to the forum as forth to me feel free to ask for help! I have 30 years of sign making experience and know a trick or two! I don't know everything about the designer and short cuts, but right or wrong I try to help!

Ike

Deolman
12-08-2009, 11:43 PM
See, the people on this forum can help you troubleshoot anything.