PDA

View Full Version : Trouble locating "location" of carvers

Azbear
12-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Once again, the gift-giving season is here and my machine decided to push my buttons. Same thing happened last year around the same time, but now I have a new machine. I think my old machine passed on its anger issues to this one. I am loosing power. Machine just stops. Display goes blank. I have found most of my electrical connections are loose. Nothing holding terminal connectors in place. So far, none of them is the culprit. I have not given up yet.

Anyway, I am trying to locate a user that is close to me without success. I am in central Arizona.

I might need a carver to carve my Christmas project for family member. My project is about 13" x 4" x 1/2". Carve time is about 35 minutes. Only one bit is used. Board can be simple pine without knots or equivalent.

Cannot afford to pay too much for the job plus shipping.

PCW
12-06-2009, 11:13 AM
If you have a volt meter or if you can borrow one it would help track down the problem pretty quick. Staring at the switch and working your way towards the power supply.

dbfletcher
12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Once again, the gift-giving season is here and my machine decided to push my buttons. Same thing happened last year around the same time, but now I have a new machine. I think my old machine passed on its anger issues to this one. I am loosing power. Machine just stops. Display goes blank. I have found most of my electrical connections are loose. Nothing holding terminal connectors in place. So far, none of them is the culprit. I have not given up yet.

Anyway, I am trying to locate a user that is close to me without success. I am in central Arizona.

I might need a carver to carve my Christmas project for family member. My project is about 13" x 4" x 1/2". Carve time is about 35 minutes. Only one bit is used. Board can be simple pine without knots or equivalent.

Cannot afford to pay too much for the job plus shipping.

Is this during a carve? Or when you select a project. I have noticed on my machine the the large the project is the longer the screen blanks once you select the project. The first time I did a big one, the screen must have balnked for nearly 5 minutes before it started prompting me to insert bits for measurment. I probably powercycled the machine 5 times before i decided just to walk away for a bit and see it it came back. Just a thought.

Doug Fletcher

Azbear
12-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I have my meter out. I'm finding that I have to check loose connections 1st.

It stops during the carve. The 2nd time I tried a carve, it stopped. Through irration, I pounded on the top part of the cover and things lite up. Did it again and it went dead. I'm thinking the vibration is making and breaking a connection.

Went through Al Who's posting for this type of problem and am still searching for main problem.

I asked for someone who might be close to me to do my carve, just in case I can't repair my machine in time.

Digitalwoodshop
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Good News... YOU found the problem.... The L2 in the Power Supply is BROKEN... That is why the THUMP makes it good again....

L2 is a coil on the final output of the power supply and helps cut down on the electronic noise on the power out. All Power Supplies have one. I posted the How the power Supply works about a month ago....

So the fix is LHR or a TV Tech..... The coil of wire is like a lolly pop and the vibration of the QC causes the wire into the circuit board to vibrate. Like bending copper wire over and over it turns light colored and breaks... That is what happened. My troubleshooting method it to lay the machine on it's back, muffler side so the weight of the coil pushes the wire back into the hole..... The reason for the fault is the girl in China did not put enough glue on the coil. Glue to prevent this....

Here are the pictures.....

Good Luck,

AL

fwharris
12-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Azbear,

If you do not get the problem fixed send me a PM or Email..you cover the cost of wood and shipping!