PDA

View Full Version : What size dust collector are you guys using?

cnc4me
12-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Just wondering what size DC you all are using? I have made my own version of the top mount dust collector but I'm using my shopvac to run it with still getting some chips in the machine. For the most part it works better than nothing but its not meant to run for hours on end. I have been thinking about getting a 2 HP just to make sure it would pull good cfm's to work on all my other tools, but the cost is an issue.

pkunk
12-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a 3hp Grizzly cyclone @ 1800 cfm. Watch out for fluffy :)

AskBud
12-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Just wondering what size DC you all are using? I have made my own version of the top mount dust collector but I'm using my shopvac to run it with still getting some chips in the machine. For the most part it works better than nothing but its not meant to run for hours on end. I have been thinking about getting a 2 HP just to make sure it would pull good cfm's to work on all my other tools, but the cost is an issue.

You Dust Collector System "CFM" is just one of the keys to consider.
How you build your piping is just as important.
If you have several ports/pipes open at the same time you may need a "monster" Best movement is usually accomplished with one open port at a time.
The diameter and length of the pipe run will also affect the CFM. Gentle curves are better than sharp Right Angles. Short runs are best.
My Dc is only 330 CFM and it barely does the job unless I'm very close the the unit. My next one will be much larger, 1100 CFM or larger would work much better.
I'm not peshing one store or product, but here are some links to view.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Articles.aspx?articleid=657
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS109/SS109_Dust_Collection.htm
The second link is a Demo Video. Start by clicking the the main video on that screen. Dig deeper into their site if you wish.
AskBud

fwharris
12-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Mine is a 650 cfm 1 hp. Does a great job for running one machine at a time. To small for doing 2 at a time..

want2b
12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Mine is 1300 cfm, have found as mentioned above the run cuts it down. My next purchase will probably be an 1800 like Pkunk. I actually built a lower port in my stand first and then built the upper unit that sits under the door. The upper works better for obvious reasons such as being closer and not blocked by the board. For most runs I connect my shop vac to the lower port and my central unit to the upper. Really nice to find a clean machine when the carve it done. When I get the larger central unit I will probably connect it to both, anything to keep the dust out.
Rick H.

Bowengg
12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Mine is a 650. Not set up yet, waiting in my dust hood from fwharris.:mrgreen:

fwharris
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Mine is a 650. Not set up yet, waiting in my dust hood from fwharris.:mrgreen:

I see by the tracking # that is got into Richmond at 3 AM this morning..:mrgreen:

Bowengg
12-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I see by the tracking # that is got into Richmond at 3 AM this morning..:mrgreen:

Yep. Right up the road a100 miles. Hopefully monday!! :mrgreen:

fwharris
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Yep. Right up the road a100 miles. Hopefully monday!! :mrgreen:

Close but not close enough to have it in your hands..:rolleyes:

Just sent one out today to North Pole, Alaska and no the name was not Santa Clause!!

pkunk
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Nevermind, I sold it to a member here.
If any of you 'Handy Andys' would be interrested in a kit cyclone, I have one designed for a 5hp motor that I'd sell for $150. I can't remember the cfm, but it was up there and if interrested PM me with a phone # and I'll dig up the particulars. It comes with a list of the other stuff needed like the motor and a huge PDF on a cd of detailed directions to build it. IIRC it was something like 2300cfm for in the neighborhood of $600. This includes all the metal and was briefly marketed by Terry Hatfield.

easybuilt
12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Bowengg you will love you DC from FWHarris it does the job. I have a 2 HP vac and it misses very little. Makes my job so much easier!

BBrooks
12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
A picture is worth 1000 words so I'll post 3000. Re-arranging the shop this weekend after carving some of Michael's great work. :) The upside down "T" on the crate is a piece of Hicory I made a tap handle for a friends kegerator who is a Volunteers fan.
650 cfm 1hp Jet. Was hooked up as downdraft only until I got Floyd's attachment. although it does a fantastic job, I will be getting a "Y" connector for that to cover all the ports in the near future as the electronics port is exhausting into the room now.
Cheers,

fwharris
12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Tom and Bill,

Thanks for the great feed back on the insert. It does make the machine clean up a snap to do. Very little dust to be found in the machine even after several carves. I have even not to taping off the inlet, leaving only an opening about the board area.

Bill, great pictures of your set up!