PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from corrupt MPC

dbfletcher
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I was working on this file for about 3 hours today cleaning it up. I've been trying to get in the habit of saving every 10-15 minutes becuase my designer has likes to crash a lot when I use the group function repeatily in the carving list. anyway on the last save, designer crashed and when I tried to open the project back up, i get the screenshot below. Anyone ever run in to this? anyway to salvage the file? Is my only recourse to start from the beginning at this point?

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
12-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey Doug,

Sorry to read about your problem, its happened to me more than a few times,
with being able to get them to open.
So like you I got in the habit of saving my work every 15 minutes or so,
and I started indexing or numbering each save 1a, 2a, 3a, etc. that way if it locks up or won't respond,
I just go back to the last number to reopen it, and don't have to go back to start over.
That's way a lot of the files I post have those index numbers as part of the file name. :wink:

PCW
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
OK I have to confess as well. I have more trouble with the Pattern Editor than Designer but it has crashed as well. I have lost hours of work so I learned to save often. Be nice if there was a auto save built in.

It mostly happens when I use the trim tool in the pattern editor.

Every time I use the trim tool adjustment up/down buttons goes from 0 to 25 with a single click and then it will do the GUI error shortly after (sometime it takes a couple of min.). I thought it was my computer but I replaced the computer with a new one and it still does the same thing.

Windows 7 64 bit and old configuration Windows Vista 32 bit
2.6 Quad Core
12 GB RAM

rjustice
12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Windows 7 64 bit and old configuration Windows Vista 32 bit
2.6 Quad Core
12 GB RAM

Dang Dan!... as Tim the Tool man Taylor would say....

Arrrrrrgh arrrrgh arrrrgh (i think that is how you would spell it!) :)

More power!

i'm jealous... How are you liking Windows 7? and did you have many problems with aps, drivers, or peripherials running in the 64bit environment?

Ron

PCW
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Ron,

I been doing alot of graphics work lately and sometime having 4 graphic programs opened at once so I felt the need for the power.

Windows 7 is great so far. I have it on two machines now and installation was a snap. Drivers all on OS and the one machine was a upgraded and all documents and settings where transfered with no problems. It is the smooothest version for installation as well as performance. The only thing I can compare it to is the Rock.:D

Doug,

The problems that I have been having don't bother me as much as it did the first few times because I have learned to hit the save button. The problem may even be with another program I'm using seeing how it has happened to both of my machines. The only common denominator is the software configuration that I'm using. Thats why I have not mentioned it before. Sometimes things happen.

Chief
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
To those who are using Windows 7:

My son the whiz says that in Windows 7, you can assign a particular cpu to a particular program so, if you're running a couple of graphics programs, well, a duo core can handle 4 different programs with no trouble. If you have ever taken a look at Windows Task Manager (Ctl-Alt-Delete) while clicking on a program, what you're seeing doesn't make sense. Sometimes all of the cores are being used but other program will use but one core and it's working its butt off. I'm sure there's a reason somewhere but I've never heard of it. He should be at my house SAt or Sun, installing my Windows 7 OEM.

Chief

Hank
12-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I installed win 7 over Vista it took about 4 hours to complete. All went well. All the drivers worked fine. The only problem I found is with the peripherals that are connected to the USB ports. Sometimes my printer won't work or I can't connect to my external drive or it won't recognize the thumb drive. When this happens I have to restart the computer and all is well. Any Ideas!