PDA

View Full Version : Mac Version Screen Problem. . . ?

jonathan68
12-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I have the latest designer software installed on my MacBook pro. Often, even most of the time, the bottom half of the project window just goes blank? Not the bottom half of the computer screen, just the project screen. I've tried reinstalling . . . any ideas?

pkunk
12-04-2009, 02:36 PM
What version/OS are you running and have you repaired 'permissions' lately?

pinefd
12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm having the same problem with my brand new IMac. My OS is: Mac OS X, Version 10.5.8

Frederick_P
12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
This is a known bug and has been around for years. Apparently it also exists on some PC platforms as well. LHR made some mention about "graphics card incompatibility" and it being "in cue" for a rewrite but nothing has ever been done about it. It is a bug that you will just have to live with unless they ever get around to fixing it.

But there is a work-around (sort of):

• Turn off "Auto Rerender" under the View Menu.
• Set your display resolution to "Low Quality"

This will bring back the complete image and allow you to see the manipulation handles and the board. When you need to see the project at a higher quality, turn the display setting to "High Quality" and wait for the screen to rerender. If the bottom half goes black again, click and hold the scroll bar on the right to bring the image back. You may have to nudge it a bit.

I know it sucks but what can you do?

pinefd
12-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Frederick. I had called LHR about this when I first got my computer and was told the same thing. Turning off the Auto Rerender only "fixes" the problem for a very brief period of time. Regarding putting my display on Low Quality, that's a royal PITA (and doesn't always fix the problem anyway). I specifically got this nice, high quality 24" monitor to make it easier to do design work like this (as well as photography work), so it kills me to have to do this. Oh, and one other temporary fix I found is to zoom out, which makes the screen whole again.

Thanks again, and let's hope that this gets addressed sometime soon.

Frank

Frederick_P
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Frank, I totally understand how you feel. I was pretty choked to spend thousands of dollars on a product and then discover that the software wouldn't do what every other graphics software on the market does, even the free ones. One would think that being able to actually SEE what you are working on would be a priority but apparently it is not. Don't hold your breath for a quick fix. I suspect it will stay like this until the program is completely re-written by new programmers.

jonathan68
12-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I haven't had this problem since upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Frank, I totally understand how you feel. I was pretty choked to spend thousands of dollars on a product and then discover that the software wouldn't do what every other graphics software on the market does, even the free ones. One would think that being able to actually SEE what you are working on would be a priority but apparently it is not. Don't hold your breath for a quick fix. I suspect it will stay like this until the program is completely re-written by new programmers.

pkunk
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
FWIW, I've not had any problems with any version of Designer or any of my Mac OS versions. Presently 10,6.2 on my Mac.
I have said it here before and now again, repair permissions and check for bad Plist files. If in doubt or still having problems, delete the CW Plist. It will make a new one.
The problem is not in Designer, but in your computer, otherwise we all would have the same problem.

Walker Sky Ranch
04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I have the latest designer software installed on my MacBook pro. Often, even most of the time, the bottom half of the project window just goes blank? Not the bottom half of the computer screen, just the project screen. I've tried reinstalling . . . any ideas?

I too have this problem.. did you get a fix?
I run photoshop/illustrator and no issues, so it is not my system, I have even loaded it on the 4 other Macs I have and it still is an issue..

repair permissions and check for bad Plist files. If in doubt or still having problems, delete the CW Plist. done all of this.. many times!

mtylerfl
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I too have this problem.. did you get a fix?

Hello,

I believe the 'fix' has been posted somewhere on the forum. I don't recall the details, but I think the recommendation was to go to Edit/Preferences and turn hardware acceleration 'off' in the 3D Graphics tab/menu. Don't take my word for it though - try a forum search to see if you can verify that. (use quotation marks around any "search term" you use)

EDIT: I found an old post that one fellow (on a Mac) made the following observation..."The bad behavior only occurs when the bottom scrollbar is on-screen. When the window is moved so the bottom scrollbar is below the display area, the display works as it should."

TIMCOSBY
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
monitor rotated to portrait and could not see the pattern. i made the window reaaly small and most of the pattern came back but still depends on how close you zoom or unzoom. i get stripes of black at some magnification too.

TIMCOSBY
04-12-2010, 12:57 AM
32921 stripes only happen on a rotated view.

TIMCOSBY
04-12-2010, 01:06 AM
hardware accelleration seems to have fixed it.