PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

JDPratt
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I posted in an earlier thread that I was working on the attached litho for a Retirement Certificate. Can anyone let me know if this looks feasible? I am concerned about the small size of the letters, but I want it to look as close to the original as possible. Another concern is the signature. Will these things show up with good clarity in a litho?

Edit: Okay, I guess I screwed that up. The .mpc is over the limit. What else can I use to post this for review?

Edit:Okay, I just removed the top emblem (Seal of the United States) to make it fit within the size requirements.

AskBud
12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I suggest that you use a 60 degree bit rather than the 90.
AskBud

Mike Witt
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Check your spelling, it's very difficult to erase

Mike

AskBud
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Check your spelling, it's very difficult to erase

Mike

A good way to do Spell check, is to type your wording into a WORD document, and CHECK. From there, you COPY just the word section you want, and PASTE it into the Designer TEXT. You then apply the Font and such that you wish. This just help us avoid spelling errors.
AskBud

JDPratt
12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Okay, maybe I am missing it. What is spelled wrong? Unless you are referring to the word "Greeting" vs. Greetings. On the actual certificate it says "Greeting". I know it sounds wrong and on my retirement certificate it does say "Greetings", but I want to replicate what his actual certificate says. I guess I could ask him if he wants to change it.

Other than that, does it look like the words are large enough to carve and be seen on a litho with a 60 degree bit? Any other modifications you think I should make?

John

Mike Witt
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
On the picture you attached you have it spelled " GRETTING"
If thats what you want......Go For It!

Far be it from me too suggest anything, Have a good one

JDPratt
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Wait one minute while I clean it off my face....

Nice catch, I read it five times and didn't see it. Guess my eyes are starting to go. Thanks for the catch. Sometimes I get in a hurry with all the other projects and the mind starts to shut down.

cnsranch
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
JD

Your board settings are for a .75" thickness - I'm assuming that if you're doing a litho, it will be on either .50" or .25" thick corian, right?

Now, your letters are only about .03" deep - that's pretty shallow. A 60 degree bit will make them some deeper, but not much.

IMHO, no light will come through on a .75" or a .50" thick piece at that depth. Maybe it will on a .25" piece.

The text on the attached was done on .50", and the depth of the letters are between .06" to almost .10" deep. Very fine light comes through the lettering.

So, with .25" thick Corian, and .03" deep text, you'll be close, but I don't think lighted enough.

I could be wrong...

JDPratt
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Another good catch. The Corian will be .25. I hadn't adjusted the board dimension yet. With it at .25 will the 60 degree bit be deep enough?

Sorry for sounding like a dumb#%@, but I want to get this right the first time and I really don't have the time to redo it over and over with all the other projects going on. I really appreciate all the input from you experts.

cnsranch
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM
JD

I think you're gonna have problems - some of the depths are as little as .01", the letters are small (across the top horizontal line of the "f", the depth is basically 0").

Worst case, if you have a drum sander, you can take off thickness after carving until you get the look you want, but I'm not sure you can get enough.

Zoom in as close as you can in Designer, and look at the quality of the text, even after assigning a 60 degree bit to it - it's not gonna be a clean as you want it to be.

JDPratt
12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I see what you mean. That is what I was afraid of. I guess I can try to make the letters a little bigger, but of course it all has to fit on an 11x14 piece of corian. This may be a bridge to far to attempt this on such a scale. I do however have a 22-44 drum sander that I could experiment with, that is an interesting idea.

TIMCOSBY
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
text .125 deep and put a .125 carve region over them. then when the light shines through it will be bright with dark letters.

p.s. it is extreamly hard to proof your own writing best way if you have no one to look at it for you is to read it backwards. heck i spelt my own daughters name wrong....and carved it.

Chief
12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Tim,

Do you ever live the faux pas down?

Chief

Kenm810
12-04-2009, 07:21 AM
I keep a small freeware spelling checker in my task bar called "tiny spell".
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/
It beeps a tone and the icon changes color when I misspell a word and give me a short list of alternatives,
you can also add words the it's dictionary as needed.

AskBud
12-04-2009, 07:28 AM
I keep a small freeware spelling checker in my task bar called "tiny spell".
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/
It beeps a tone and the icon changes color when I misspell a word and give me a short list of alternatives,
you can also add words the it's dictionary as needed.

Is this spell check on your designer task bar, or your word processing?
AskBud

JDPratt
12-04-2009, 08:25 AM
text .125 deep and put a .125 carve region over them. then when the light shines through it will be bright with dark letters.

p.s. it is extreamly hard to proof your own writing best way if you have no one to look at it for you is to read it backwards. heck i spelt my own daughters name wrong....and carved it.

Thought about that, but not sure how that would look on a litho. Anyone tried it? Even in corian I would be afraid there would be some tearout or chipping with such small letters. Thoughts?

HighTechOkie
12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Here is a litho I did carving text. I was not to happy with the results. I have not had a chance to play around with any other text depths to know what will or will not work. Probably need to make that part of the short list of to-do's to have a reference. Unless you care to be the pioneer JD? :)

The top line uses Magik.ttf If you decide to install it to see how it actually looks in Designer, just remove the .dxf extension .

Rob

Kenm810
12-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Bud,
The Tiny Spell is at the bottom of my desk top screen,
it works on what ever I'm typing at the moment, designer, Email, Forum,
word processing, text blocks, PM's, for just about what ever your doing.

Woodhacker
12-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I googled Tiny Speller and downloaded it. I think it will come in handy. I use a small sticky note program to record daily activities and it will work on that too. Good deal!

TIMCOSBY
12-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Tim,

Do you ever live the faux pas down?

Chief

into individual peices leaving the middle misspelled name in the trash can befor anyone saw it.