PDA

View Full Version : Blender STL Output Help

mostlycold
12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
To the talented folks on this forum,

Before I spend a lot of time trying to figure out why my Blender STL files are all stopping with "corrupt file" errors in my STL Importer, thought I'd make sure that the Blender file design is compatible with STL Importer? Anyone had luck with getting Blender STLs into STL Importer (or is it a no)? If yes, would like some guidance on the basic steps to save from the completed wire mesh screen (files sizes are huge on a real simple 2 unit high exrtrude, so don't know if that is what's causing the problem). Trying not to invest any more money in 3D software, so if this doesn't work, I'm willing to try and learn (free) MeshLab (if that works better).

Thanx,
Dan

PS I did a forum search on Blender and didn't get very much info - sorry it this subject has been asked and answered before.

twiceretired
12-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Try these post

http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=972691

mostlycold
12-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Try these post

http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=972691

This URL returns an Sorry no matches found message.

dbfletcher
12-04-2009, 12:01 AM

Try this one...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11782&highlight=blender&page=3

Basically if you just save the stl from blender.. load it to meshlab and then just save again from meshla the stl importer should read it fine.

Doug Fletcher

twiceretired
12-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Sorry bout that, it seams that search dosen't return the same url every time. I did another search and went to the same place and the numbers at the end of the url changed, thus we can't get there from hear. I did a search for "Blender STL" with the quotes. My guess is that we shouldn't post the search results, but what we searched for instead, another little quirk in our forum.

jpaluck
12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I tried to play around with blender with a simple cube and export as an stl. Yep see what you mean it wont open in the stl importer. I tried to open it in MAYA SILO and AC 3d. In ac 3d it comes up as a wire shaded frame but you cant edit anything. I opened the file in meshcam...it came up just fine. I would think it has to be some setting in blender. I dont have much experience with blender but if you put a post on their forum I am sure someone will help you. Or mabey somone here like HT or LG with more 3d modelling experience. I am sure its a simple setting but the interface to blender is nightmare to me...LOL

mostlycold
12-06-2009, 08:06 PM
I tried to play around with blender with a simple cube and export as an stl. Yep see what you mean it wont open in the stl importer. I tried to open it in MAYA SILO and AC 3d. In ac 3d it comes up as a wire shaded frame but you cant edit anything. I opened the file in meshcam...it came up just fine. I would think it has to be some setting in blender. I dont have much experience with blender but if you put a post on their forum I am sure someone will help you. Or mabey somone here like HT or LG with more 3d modelling experience. I am sure its a simple setting but the interface to blender is nightmare to me...LOL

dbfletchers suggestion to open in MeshLab (also free) and then resave worked just fine.

Thanx again,
Dan

LittleRedWoodshop
12-07-2009, 06:08 AM
is what I use to do all of my file conversion .... I have never had a problem with the import into STL Importer.

jpaluck
12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
is what I use to do all of my file conversion .... I have never had a problem with the import into STL Importer.

Jason what Dan is talking about I believe if you model something in blender from scratch then import it from blender you stl not recognized or corrupted in stl importer. I ftake a file off the net bring it into blender then export as an stl it works fine. The prob lies within how blender exports stl files

mostlycold
12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Jason what Dan is talking about I believe if you model something in blender from scratch then import it from blender you stl not recognized or corrupted in stl importer. I ftake a file off the net bring it into blender then export as an stl it works fine. The prob lies within how blender exports stl files

John,

You are correct. I am making my own wire mesh designs from scratch in Blender. This requires opening and resaving in MeshLab to allow STL Importer to open the files. I did a really quick extrude on something that resembles a bowl, resaved the file, and opened in STL Importer. To my amazement, it looks like cutting the 3/4 inch high ring segments works like a charm (although I haven't figured out how to set the wall thickness yet). Beyond the wood working implications of a process that can out perform a RingMaster unit, lies the possibility of getting really creative constructing glass kiln molds from Kaiserboard (lost wax molds also) for my wife. Now if I could just get the machine to work more than once in a row! :>)

jpaluck
12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
LOl cant help the machine...teel ya though if ya ever want to break down and get away from blender check out silo and ac 3d both around 100 buck and so much easier to use...good luck