PDA

View Full Version : First problem with Rock Chuck

easybuilt
12-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Today when I was cutting out a joy tree with the cutting bit it got stuck and pulled out of the rock chuck!? The bit was stuck in the wood, it did not break and then of course I had a "Z" stall. When I tried to put the bit back in, it would not go more than a 1/8 inch. I unscrewed the screw and made sure the nut was correctly seated. I used a different bit so there was not a rough edge. Anyone had this problem? I email Ron today but have not heard form him yet. This is the first time I have a problem with my rock chuck. I can't beleive it came out. Thanks in advance for the help.

LollyWood
12-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Just a question Tom, Does your cutter have the flats on it, and did you face the flats toward the set screw when tightening? That happened to me when I didn't pay attintion to what "I" was doing.

easybuilt
12-03-2009, 01:28 AM
That is very possible; I get in such a hurry sometimes. I have had a Rock since Ron started selling them and they so are solid. Any ideas on why the bit won't go in. I am going to pull the chuck off tomorrow? Thanks

www.go3d.us
12-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Maybe the set screw prevent the bit from going in but I'm not sure.

Pratyeka
12-03-2009, 06:19 AM
That is very possible; I get in such a hurry sometimes. I have had a Rock since Ron started selling them and they so are solid. Any ideas on why the bit won't go in. I am going to pull the chuck off tomorrow? Thanks

Check the wedge nut inside the chuck, it must be rotated. You must rotate it so that the wedge clears the way for the bit's shank.

rjustice
12-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi easybuilt,
I sent you an email yesterday, not sure why you didnt recieve it. It is quite likely that the alignment was the issue. To get the bit back in it could be a couple of things.... If it spun long enough while having side pressure, it could have ruined the bore inside the bit adapter. That would be the worst case, and unlikely.
The likely cause is that if you did clamp on a flat it kicked up a burr on the clamp nut, in which case it isnt letting it release all the way to be able to put a tool back up into the bit adapter. If you loosen up the locking screw all the way, then screw it back in about 2 or 3 turns, you can use the screw to remove the locking nut most of the way. simply tap on it with something small, until you get the screw bottomed out again. Then, remove the screw, and insert the "T" handle into the screw hole, and push it out the rest of the way. Pay attention to how it comes out... there is a concave ground arc that seats on the tool to the inside, and a convex ground arc that goes to the outside. What you want to do is now see if the tool slides into the bore smoothly. If not the bit adapter should be replaced. If it does, you need to inspect the clamp nut, and find any burrs on the edges, and remove them with a small file, re-insert it into the bit adapter, and your all set. Be sure that the clamp nut is rotated such that the convex arc on the outside is smooth with the outside of the bit adapter body. this tells you that you are clamped correctly.
Let me know how you come out with this either way. I want you to be completely happy with your Rock Chuck system!

THanks,

Ron

Fletcher
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Also, when you use a bit adapter, make sure the slot is pointing towards the screw head when you tighten it up. If the slot in the bit adapter is not in the right position the bit adapter can not be compressed properly to hold the bit firmly.

Ron addresses this issue in one of his earlier posts in detail...

The Rock has given me such piece of mind now. Last night I was running a carve in Oak and one of my v-cuts went so deep that the cut motor stalled - the Rock still held firm though. I hit the enter button and finished the carve - ya gotta love it!:mrgreen:

Digitalwoodshop
12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Even I had a bit tightened on a flat spot... Or part of a flat spot and the bit dropped like I expect it did for you too and drilled in the wood and the flat spot put a bur in the holder... Yes, I am human too... Once I used the locking rings with the flat spot above the locking area no more problems... Or for me a NO Brainer....

I cleaned up my inside with a chain saw file.... Good to go...

Good Luck,

AL

easybuilt
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I will give your advise a try and I will let you know if I get it fixed. Sounds easy.

rjustice
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Here is a link to some information, and pictures of how to align the tool flats, and the slit in the sleeves..

http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,169,833#msg-833

Let me know if you have any problems...

Ron