PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in buying wide, solid wood, boards?

TurtleCove
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Say, I've got someone that loves to glue up boards. I mean this guy eats, sleeps, and dreams about glue-ups.

I'm wondering....

If I approached him, and had him create a bunch of 14" wide glue-ups, in White Oak, Red Oak, Maple, and maybe Ash, if there'd be much interest from this group in a purchasing some?

All would be 3/4" thick, at least one straight edge, planed smooth on both sides, and 24" long...or better.

I just have no idea if people mind carving boards that are 2 or 3 boards, glued up, for increased width.

Thoughts?

Pratyeka
12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
How much per foot and where are you located?

mtylerfl
12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I may be interested too - probably not 14" widths...more like 10" to 12"...and would prefer both edges run through a jointer so the edges are smooth and parallel with each other.

Post some more details if/when they are available. Thanks!

dbfletcher
12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I'd be intersted as well... but I fear shipping may put cost out of reach for me.

(Maybe we just need to convince USPS to create a flate rate box with demensions like 15x24x8... "if it fits... it ships")

Doug Fletcher

fwharris
12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I would be interested in the details too..

TurtleCove
12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
I'll approach him, but I'd like to give him a figure....
What do you guys think would be a fair offer that I could toss at him, per board foot?

You know, I'd like to go to him, and ask if he'd be willing to provide us with wide boards, at $x.xx per board foot....and then see what he says.

He'll be looking for "whatever the market will bear"...but what do you guys think would be a fair price per board foot?

They'd ship from either central Wisconsin (54436), or around Chicago (60002), if I was to bring a boat-load back with me, for everyone, when I visit.

c6craig
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I would also be interested in finished glued up boards ready to carve in the 12" variety if the price was reasonable.

Unfortunately I'm not the guy to put fair prices on board feet for these, and good hardwood is heavy so I fear shipping may price it out of range..

Definitely interested in details though...

Craig

Chief
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I'd be intersted as well... but I fear shipping may put cost out of reach for me.

(Maybe we just need to convince USPS to create a flate rate box with demensions like 15x24x8... "if it fits... it ships")

Doug Fletcher

Doug,

Aren't there some sawmills around your neck of the woods? A brother-in-law owns several "houses" over in Clarion and he told me there are quite a few sawmills. Of course you guys in Indiana are a little more refined than the rednecks in Clarion.

Chief

dbfletcher
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Doug,

Aren't there some sawmills around your neck of the woods? A brother-in-law owns several "houses" over in Clarion and he told me there are quite a few sawmills. Of course you guys in Indiana are a little more refined than the rednecks in Clarion.

Chief

I've been told there are... but I havn't tracked em down yet! Lots of amish aroudn here... but no phones so not sure how to contact em!

Doug Fletcher

Chief
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Shipping isn't the only cost to contend with. If this man is running the boards through a planer and then jointing one or both sides, that adds to the cost considerably. Unless this guy has a hundred clamps, it would take him some time to clamp up all the potential board order.

I have a Rockler about 10 miles from my house. My only objection to what they carry, as far as red oak, is that it's planed down to 3/4". I'd rather plane it myself so I don't have to worry about dings and dents while picking through the store's stock.

Chief

TurtleCove
12-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Well, I've seen this guys boards, after gluing up, and there's no dings and dents to be found. So, I think we'd all be happy....I just need a price to throw at him, as an offer.

mtylerfl
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I'll approach him, but I'd like to give him a figure....
What do you guys think would be a fair offer that I could toss at him, per board foot?

You know, I'd like to go to him, and ask if he'd be willing to provide us with wide boards, at $x.xx per board foot....and then see what he says...

There is an old saying, "The first person to name a price, loses." That statement might sound a little harsh in that raw form, I suppose, but I have found it is best to allow the merchant to quote a price he/she is comfortable with first.

Depending upon the product being offered, I often consider that to be the "asking price" and also consider it to be negotiable in most cases. That may not apply in this particular case, I don't know. During price discussions, I try to partner with the merchant to find a price that both of us are happy with. Too low, and the merchant will become discouraged and withdraw - too high, and the customer is lost.

Somewhere, there is a price that will work for both. The merchant knows his/her costs and what kind of profit will be needed to keep things rolling - we don't.

I would say to encourage the fellow to quote us the pricing that he feels good about. Once we have some initial figures, we know whether it looks like a viable avenue to pursue.

PCW
12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm negotiating on 8 pallets of glue ups they are a mixture of Oak and Maple. The widths are up to 12" and vary in length. What do you think?

mtylerfl
12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm negotiating on 8 pallets of glue ups they are a mixture of Oak and Maple. The widths are up to 12" and vary in length. What do you think?

I think it looks tasty!;)

liquidguitars
12-03-2009, 10:08 AM
One way is to charge buy the board ft. lets say that red oak is 2.70 a board foot add .30 for glue and sanding = $3.00

maple 1.90 add .30 cents = $2.20 board ft. ect..

A standard size could be better like 13.25" x 42"x .79" for shipping. the price could raise or drop as to quantity of the shipment.

As more big future shops close due to China's aggressive posture and unfair dumping of finished wood products undermining the US and CAN jobs you will see deals on pre cut wood surface as the shops clean out the unused machinery and raw goods inorder to pay back the banks controled buy same.

Merry red Xmas Santa.

LG

PCW I just saw your post I see "close out" deals like this alot. http://www.irsauctions.com/?flash=9

TurtleCove
12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
The problem with the wood in those pictures, Dan, is that they are so short.
If that short length is fine, I'll be you get those for a steal.

My guy can do almost any length, and any width, so 14.25 x .79 would be fine for him to produce.

If I have him glue up maple, should it be hard maple or soft maple?
I know hard maple, is more expensive than Oak.

I think he could do Red Oak for $2.30/BF, and White Oak for $2.80/BF, for the raw lumber.

+ 85 cents per linear foot (final length, regardless of # of pieces used) for gluing.
+ planing, for 6 cents per square foot, per side.
+ sanding, for 15 cents per square foot, per side.

By the way, I think he also produces a lot of thin stock 1/4". Might not be an interest in carving thin stock...but perhaps cut-outs?

How do those prices look, gang?

DocWheeler
12-03-2009, 10:56 AM
How do those prices look, gang?

Pretty good to me!

liquidguitars
12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
have him glue up maple, should it be hard maple or soft maple?

I like soft.

As far as the length goes as to price, if Dan came up with 8/4 13.25 x 18.50 or longer and it was good deal that OK 2.

castingman
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Chief,

I have a buddy thats also a pattern maker that has his own sawmill , I just got a 5' x 10" x 1.5 piece of walnut that he cut down and milled himself .

Your are close buy maybe we can hook up.

I paid $40.00 for the walnut .

Michael

TurtleCove
12-03-2009, 08:03 PM
As far as the length goes as to price, if Dan came up with 8/4 13.25 x 18.50 or longer and it was good deal that OK 2.

Sorry, but I'm not understanding....

liquidguitars
12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Ya, I did not want Dan to think we where fu fu his wood just because its smaller.

LG

Betty Woodall
12-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Let us know the who and how and we can do business...BW

hogiewan
12-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Just semantics, but when I see the phrase "Solid Wood" in this context, I think of a non-glued up piece. Is it just me?

TurtleCove
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Well, glue-ups can be solid wood, or non solid wood.
I think the term "solid wood" differentiates from particle board, veneer'd MDF, and the like.

ajk
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
i will like to do business who ship to PUERTO RICO:mrgreen:
HILDA

TurtleCove
12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
That shouldn't be a problem, Hilda.

seabass
12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Glued up wood is DEFINITELY solid wood. Many will argue that anything over 8" wide NEEDS to be glued up or it is not built to last and is actually the proper construction. If I had cabinets with a 20" raised panels I sure would want them glued up.

In furniture advertising solid wood does not mean what you think. Generally Solid wood means that all the exposed pieces of wood are solid, not hollow like a hollow core door, but solid. BUT all hidden areas of the furniture (such as the back), may be made of another material and is still legally solid wood, even if the back is metal.

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
12-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Might be a good Idea to determine the moisture content of this product?

TurtleCove
12-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I know the moisture will be 8% or lower.
It's all kiln dried.