PDA

View Full Version : Prob. answered somewhere else but cant find!!

wildthing423
12-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Good morning from Virginia beach.

I have a few questions. been trying to email the company but have never received an answer. could all of you answer these questions for me before I buy this machine?

All the advertisements talk about its compact-ability,

So, is it a true table top size. lost my house in the financial crunch and am living with my wife and kids in a small rental townhouse/rowhome. no basement or attic or garage. CAn I use it and then put it away in a closet?

next, can it import photos that you have taken and carve them? [example , my oldest twins are graduating and i took 3/4 photos like the yearbook photos]

next can it carve something in the round

can it carve to its fill board height and length [example. I drew something that resembles hobbit town. It's drawing on butcher block paper of which I have a 5000 ft roll. its approx. 3ft. long x 10in. wide

can it replicate some of the mini castings I have made?

I have more questions but I am on chemo and feel terrible and am taking enough pain management meds to kill a mastodon and the whole world is spinning around.

Thank you for listening.

Mark

AskBud
12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
The short answer to most of your questions is YES.
Townhouse Rules may cause you some headaches though (I don't know).
you should be able to see a demo of the CW by visiting this WoodCraft store. Call them first to see if they have on in their shop.
AskBud
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=556

seabass
12-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Awfully loud and I mean as loud as my buddies full CNC machine. It needs to be in an isolated room or you will have the family wearing ear protection or drive them out of the house. Depending on how its built and how the building is laid out your neighbors may not tolerate it. I guess you can build a box to muffle the noise. Actually, it probably will be a must for you.

Yes, it is very, very compact and that is one of the major pluses of the machine.

Look at what they did in this thread, I bet it reduces the sound level quite a bit:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13700

Of course you can design the box to really muffle the sound using the materials from Home Depot for wall sound insulation(not clear of course).

hogiewan
12-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Yes, it is very, very compact and that is one of the major pluses of the machine.

It is compact, but it is quite heavy. Not something you want to lug around all the time

Kenm810
12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Sorry to say,
But you would also need some kind of a dust collector
or a vacuum system to deal with all the Dust and Chips,
and that too can cause a lot noise. :sad:

wildthing423
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Sorry to say,
But you would also need some kind of a dust collector
or a vacuum system to deal with all the Dust and Chips,
and that too can cause a lot noise. :sad:

I have a balcony that looks over a small batch of woods and a creek. I was thinking of doing it there as the city and state code allow me to work within certain noise limits from sunup or 5.30 am to 9.00pm so I would need something with wheels or casters on it. I was thinking of trying to find someone in my neighborhood who might rent me some space in there little garage or small shed.
I just wanted to see if it could do the things I asked about before I tried to buy one. Are there other similar machines that do not require assembly or building construction?

Mark

Kenm810
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
A few folks have bought knock together,
kitchen microwave cabinet on caster for their machines,
or Craftsman roll-about Carts, while several others
have built custom cabinets or stands to suite their needs.
Also remember most CNC type of machines don't like
cold or damp weather, they may acted up or get stiff in
temperatures below 60 Degrees

www.go3d.us
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Mark sorry to hear about your situation.
And to answer your question:
1.CAn I use it and then put it away in a closet?
Yes, but it need to be clean first, if not the closet soon will be full of sawdust.

2. next, can it import photos that you have taken and carve them?
Yes, you can import just about any picture you have to carve. However, a picture need to be manipulated to get the right height and depth value in order to get a satisfactory result. This process require a lot of skills and hard work. Simply import a picture and carve will not get a good result. Many users has gone the lithophane route on picture carving.

3. can it carve to its fill board height and length?[example. I drew something that resembles hobbit town. It's drawing on butcher block paper of which I have a 5000 ft roll. its approx. 3ft. long x 10in. wide?
Yes. Again a drawing also need to convert to a carvable pattern, please refer to question #2.

4. can it replicate some of the mini castings I have made?
It can, in someway. The machine have an optional device which you have to purchase separately to do scanning and make copy of some object. It can only do one side of the object at a time. It can not copy the whole 3 dimensional object. So if your mini castings is a house for example then it can't replicate. But it work with plaque and relief object.

Hope this help.
HT

TurtleCove
12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
The noise factor can be drastically reduced, by buying, and installing a Rock Chuck. It''s a replacement for the stock Quick Chuck. Noise level is reduced to the extent, that a normal conversation can be had, within the same room.

Azbear
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
The noise factor can be drastically reduced, by buying, and installing a Rock Chuck. It''s a replacement for the stock Quick Chuck. Noise level is reduced to the extent, that a normal conversation can be had, within the same room.

Not sure if it may have been posted previously, but has anyone competed a db test to show what the difference actually is?

seabass
12-02-2009, 06:35 PM
I have used a Rock chuck and in my case there was no drastic sound decrease. I mean you still need ear protection. I think my machine ran well with the QC chuck though and I actually went back to it...

Maybe my machine was better in that respect from the get go. The Rock is not going to make the machine more than a decibel or two lower, it is the actual pitch of the sound that changes and is just more pleasing, well at least more pleasing than an unbalanced QC.

Still, a Rock has been a great improvement for many people so I would consider it for sure.

dbfletcher
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I have used a Rock chuck and in my case there was no drastic sound decrease. I mean you still need ear protection. I think my machine ran well with the QC chuck though and I actually went back to it...

Maybe my machine was better in that respect from the get go. The Rock is not going to make the machine more than a decibel or two lower, it is the actual pitch of the sound that changes and is just more pleasing, well at least more pleasing than an unbalanced QC.

Still, a Rock has been a great improvement for many people so I would consider it for sure.

I would be great if someone had a sound level meter to check the db levels pre and post rock. like others on this forum. it was a DRAMATIC difference. With the qc there was no way to have a conversation anywhere near the machine even while yelling..... And with the qc, the only time i could hear my dc is when the cw wasnt carving. With the rock my DC definately is the louder of the two machine now.

Again individual results may vary.. but i would say it was more of a dy/night change for me that a "small improvement" as Seabass's experience.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Part of the loud sound may be attributed to the item that the carver sits on.
Example(s):
Sit a phone on a up-turned aluminum/tin pie plate and the ringer will sound louder. The same is probably true for Kens metal stand pictured in the prior post (if it is thin metal).
I made one stand out of 2x4(s) and 3/4 ply that does not amplify the sound, and another out of a kitchen cabinet which seems to double the noise of the same carver (go figure).
AskBud

Chief
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Bud,

The kitchen cabinet is akin to a drum. The same with the pie plate.

Chief

AskBud
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Bud,

The kitchen cabinet is akin to a drum. The same with the pie plate.

Chief

You are correct. That is what I'm warning users to consider before making/buying a stand for their carver.
AskBud